PDA

View Full Version : My range day yesterday.

tt3
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I was invited to a mini-event at a gun shop/range two hours away. This was the same place I've done some shooting at bigger events over the last few summers. The plate shoot video I put up a while ago was there.

Anyway, they set up three areas, a barricade exercise, desk, and "ambush alley". Since I shoot a single stack compact, two stages required multiple magazine changes.

The barricade was set up with a wall, maybe 4x6, and two "windows" maybe the size of a piece of paper about waist high. It was a shoot from cover exercise. Three targets close range to the left, two shots each, with one "no shoot" covering some of one and most of the other. Even close range people were hitting the no shoot target! (Not me.) Then down range, 15 yards or so a steel popper and four other targets in a line. They put up other "walls" and no shoot targets in the middle, there was no way to hit all four targets and the steel without moving to different positions behind the barricade. With eight targets to hit, it was easy to forget where I was between mag changes. I lost some points for hitting one more than twice!

The desk was set up with two no shoots right at front and a target peeking out behind, then two others down range, also partially blocked by no shoots. That one was timed. Sit at the table, hands flat BEEP bangbang...bangbang bang bang One guy had a .357 semi, never seen it before, but he stood up to shoot the close target and the gout of dirt was hilarious. You could have planted tulips in the holes!

Ambush alley had six stages of various reactive targets. Hanging bowling pins, little clays, one steel popper stage, hit the steel it falls and three other cardboard targets pop up and out behind trees. What a blast!

Then when everyone was done, there was a plate shoot after. I had to take off before the bracket was set up (bummer) but I still had a great time.

Except for the plate shoot, there was always only one person shooting, two range officers watching and the rest of the guys behind the line bs'ing and watching.

If any of you are ever interested in getting into handgun shooting, do it. Find an intro class to familiarize yourself, then get out there! I had so much fun shooting stages that I could never do at a standard range.

Anyway, thought I'd share for them that are interested... sorry, no pics.

57plymouth
10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Sounds like fun!

EX Race Driver
10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
With ammo as high as it is now it's an expensive hobby. I have a range set up in the pasture and shoot as often as i can but it gets costly.

tt3
10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, it was definately not a high round day. Around 100 or so. A couple years ago, 250 wasn't unheard of, and running the same stage a couple times to improve happened too. Yesterday... not so much.

tt3
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Oh, I forgot to add, after shooting my DAO Kahr all day, I picked up my 1911 for the plate shoot. Quite a transition to the single action trigger!

Bill S
10-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Were they using IDPA rules, IPSC rules (more gamesmanship than reality), or something else?

To be sure, shooting is nowhere as cheap as it used to be ($.20 per rd 9mm ball, $.40 per rd XM193 ammo), but wait til you try out 6.8SPC (about $1/rd). 100 lousy rounds = one eatout with the wife; not too bad. :icon_lol:

Sounds like a good time had by all.

jeffus
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Sounds like fun. :assault:

Neodaddy
10-05-2009, 03:22 PM
I've watched competitions like this on TV, but in Canada they are not easy to come by. In fact, have never heard of one anywhere near where I've lived. Would LOVE to do it some time, but don't see it in the near future. Buying a handgun up here is a lengthy, annoying process.

Hockeyfan
10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I've watched competitions like this on TV, but in Canada they are not easy to come by. In fact, have never heard of one anywhere near where I've lived. Would LOVE to do it some time, but don't see it in the near future. Buying a handgun up here is a lengthy, annoying process.

Not here. I had my permits inside a week after applying. I asked for 4 (max of 5) and I got 4. Then it only took me 5 minutes to purchase one at a gun show. IT was a Ruger P89 9mm. MY first baby.

tt3
10-05-2009, 04:39 PM
It was IDPA type scoring, abcd "rings" on the target, major/minor caliber counts, but very informal past that. (Except the safety part, same line commands. Cold range, etc.)

There are usually three or four guys scrounging for brass after each stage too. I don't reload yet, so I wasn't so worried.

DarthDaddy
10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Cool!

Too bad no picks of you taking out the bad guys... :assault:

jeffus
10-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Buying a handgun up here is a lengthy, annoying process.

Oh, really? Do tell. :eusa_whistle:

(It took me 4 months, needed 3 character references, pass an FBI background search, and a NJ State Police background, mental health, and fingerprint search. Basically.) Rifle/shotgun permits are slightly less painful.

Neodaddy
10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Oh, really? Do tell. :eusa_whistle:

(It took me 4 months, needed 3 character references, pass an FBI background search, and a NJ State Police background, mental health, and fingerprint search. Basically.) Rifle/shotgun permits are slightly less painful.

This is the Ontario version, but it pretty much applies across the country (Number 7 will blow your mind):

To obtain a restricted firearm (handgun):

The individual MUST do the following:
1. Pass the Canada Firearms Safety Exam
2. Pass the Canada Restricted Firearms Safety Exam
3. Obtain an Application for a Restricted Possession and Acquisition License from the Canada
Firearms Centre.
4. Provide a verified photograph
5. Provide two personal references that have known the applicant at least two years. These references
are checked and extensively questioned regarding the Applicants history and any possible pre-
disposition to violence or criminal activity.
6. Disclose all mental health information.
7. Disclose the names and contact information of all conjugal partners in the last two years. These
former and current partners are contacted to see if they have any concerns regarding the
individual’s acquisition of a firearm.
8. Disclose whether the Applicant has suffered a marital breakdown or a breakdown of a significant
relationship, job loss or bankruptcy or other traumatic event in the last two years.
9. Disclose whether you have threatened or attempted suicide, any consultation or treatment for
alcohol, substance abuse, and behavioural or emotional problems in the last 5 years.
10. Disclose whether you do you know if you have been reported to the police or social services for
violence, threatened or attempted violence, or other conflict in your home or elsewhere in the last 5
years?
11. Have a criminal records background check through your local police service, the O.P.P., the
R.C.M.P., C.S.I.S. and Interpol. This background check includes all charges, convictions and
inquiries, juvenile and adult, federal, provincial and international.
12. Be approved by the Ontario Chief Firearms Office (O.P.P.) and submitted back to the Canada
Firearms Centre (R.C.M.P.)
13. Wait a mandatory 28 days (closer to three to six months)
14. Receive the new license by mail.
15. At the firearms retailer, the retailer and the Canada Firearms Centre check the license validity
again. The ownership of the firearm is transferred to the purchaser.
16. The purchaser must then wait 2 to 6 weeks for the Chief Firearms Office to issue an Authorization
to Transport the firearm from the retailer to the purchaser’s home.
17. To shoot the firearm the individual MUST: Join a licensed gun club, pass the minimum number of
probationary shoots, pass the club’s range safety course, apply through the club for an
Authorization to Transport for the Purposes of Target Shooting and wait one to three months
for that document to be issued.
18. To acquire ammunition, the individual must present to the retailer a valid Firearms License and
have their name, address, license number and items purchased recorded in a logbook.
19. Issuance of a Firearms License automatically enters the individual into the Continuous Eligibility
System, which cross-references every police computer and database in Canada at all times.
To Transport a Restricted Firearm (handgun) under
the Auspices of an Authorization to Transport.

1. The firearm must be unloaded.
2. The handgun must be fitted with a locking device rendering the firearm inoperable.
3..The handgun must be locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength,
construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during
transportation.
4. If it is in a container described above, that is in an unattended vehicle, when the vehicle is equipped
with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the container is in that trunk or
compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked, and
5. When the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked,
the vehicle, or the part of the vehicle that contains the container, is securely locked and the container is
not visible from outside the vehicle.
3. The handgun may not be transported in the same container as the ammunition.
4. The individual must transport the firearm with the corresponding License, Registration Certificate
and Authorization to Transport for the Purpose of Target Shooting.
5. The individual may only transport the handgun in a reasonably direct route to and from the licensed
shooting range.

To Store a Restricted Firearm (handgun)
An individual may store a restricted firearm only if
1. It is unloaded;
2. It is
(a) Rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a container, receptacle
or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open
or into, or
(b) Stored in a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure
storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked; and
3. It is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately
from the firearm, in
(d) A container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot
readily be broken open or into, or
(e) A vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of
restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked

The violation of any of the above is a criminal offence, punishable by up to four years in
prison.

jeffus
10-05-2009, 06:23 PM
You made that up!

Neodaddy
10-05-2009, 06:27 PM
You made that up!

Well, I had 30 seconds to kill. And no, I didn't. I wish I did. But that's the fact Jack. You asked for it.

jeffus
10-05-2009, 06:35 PM
You typed all that in 30 seconds? Cool.

OK. You win. Canada sucks. NJ rules! :icon_super:

Neodaddy
10-05-2009, 06:36 PM

Except when it comes to typing.:eusa_whistle:

Hockeyfan
10-05-2009, 07:21 PM

LOL. NJ wins? I don't think so. NORTH CAROLINA IS IN THE HOUSE. We don't wait months. We wait days. Minutes to actually purchase one. LOL> Muu huu haa haaaaaaa.

Besides. Canada does rule. If North America was a prison, you'd be our Bitch.

Canada
USA

57plymouth
10-05-2009, 07:45 PM
If South Carolina had open carry, it would be as awesome as you can get. Sadly, that makes NC and *gasp* Virginia better. But only slightly.

SC:

1: Pick gun
2: Show carry permit
3: Pay money
4: Enjoy

To get a permit in SC:
Pay $50 for a one day class. Shoot 100 rounds during the class. Submit picture fingerprints and form to the gubbermint. Wait two months for processing. Go buy gun.

jeffus
10-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for crashing our 'who's gun laws suck more' pity party! :twak:

There's a case pending the Supreme Court that's going to look at making all the States' gun laws all the same instead of the individual hodge-podge that it is now. Should be good times.

LOL. NJ wins? I don't think so. NORTH CAROLINA IS IN THE HOUSE. We don't wait months. We wait days. Minutes to actually purchase one. LOL> Muu huu haa haaaaaaa.

Besides. Canada does rule. If North America was a prison, you'd be our Bitch.

Canada
USA

EX Race Driver
10-07-2009, 12:11 AM
This is the Ontario version, but it pretty much applies across the country (Number 7 will blow your mind):

To obtain a restricted firearm (handgun):

The individual MUST do the following:
1. Pass the Canada Firearms Safety Exam
2. Pass the Canada Restricted Firearms Safety Exam
3. Obtain an Application for a Restricted Possession and Acquisition License from the Canada
Firearms Centre.
4. Provide a verified photograph
5. Provide two personal references that have known the applicant at least two years. These references
are checked and extensively questioned regarding the Applicants history and any possible pre-
disposition to violence or criminal activity.
6. Disclose all mental health information.
7. Disclose the names and contact information of all conjugal partners in the last two years. These
former and current partners are contacted to see if they have any concerns regarding the
individual’s acquisition of a firearm.
8. Disclose whether the Applicant has suffered a marital breakdown or a breakdown of a significant
relationship, job loss or bankruptcy or other traumatic event in the last two years.
9. Disclose whether you have threatened or attempted suicide, any consultation or treatment for
alcohol, substance abuse, and behavioural or emotional problems in the last 5 years.
10. Disclose whether you do you know if you have been reported to the police or social services for
violence, threatened or attempted violence, or other conflict in your home or elsewhere in the last 5
years?
11. Have a criminal records background check through your local police service, the O.P.P., the
R.C.M.P., C.S.I.S. and Interpol. This background check includes all charges, convictions and
inquiries, juvenile and adult, federal, provincial and international.
12. Be approved by the Ontario Chief Firearms Office (O.P.P.) and submitted back to the Canada
Firearms Centre (R.C.M.P.)
13. Wait a mandatory 28 days (closer to three to six months)
14. Receive the new license by mail.
15. At the firearms retailer, the retailer and the Canada Firearms Centre check the license validity
again. The ownership of the firearm is transferred to the purchaser.
16. The purchaser must then wait 2 to 6 weeks for the Chief Firearms Office to issue an Authorization
to Transport the firearm from the retailer to the purchaser’s home.
17. To shoot the firearm the individual MUST: Join a licensed gun club, pass the minimum number of
probationary shoots, pass the club’s range safety course, apply through the club for an
Authorization to Transport for the Purposes of Target Shooting and wait one to three months
for that document to be issued.
18. To acquire ammunition, the individual must present to the retailer a valid Firearms License and
have their name, address, license number and items purchased recorded in a logbook.
19. Issuance of a Firearms License automatically enters the individual into the Continuous Eligibility
System, which cross-references every police computer and database in Canada at all times.
To Transport a Restricted Firearm (handgun) under
the Auspices of an Authorization to Transport.

1. The firearm must be unloaded.
2. The handgun must be fitted with a locking device rendering the firearm inoperable.
3..The handgun must be locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength,
construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during
transportation.
4. If it is in a container described above, that is in an unattended vehicle, when the vehicle is equipped
with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the container is in that trunk or
compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked, and
5. When the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked,
the vehicle, or the part of the vehicle that contains the container, is securely locked and the container is
not visible from outside the vehicle.
3. The handgun may not be transported in the same container as the ammunition.
4. The individual must transport the firearm with the corresponding License, Registration Certificate
and Authorization to Transport for the Purpose of Target Shooting.
5. The individual may only transport the handgun in a reasonably direct route to and from the licensed
shooting range.

To Store a Restricted Firearm (handgun)
An individual may store a restricted firearm only if
1. It is unloaded;
2. It is
(a) Rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a container, receptacle
or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open
or into, or
(b) Stored in a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure
storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked; and
3. It is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately
from the firearm, in
(d) A container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot
readily be broken open or into, or
(e) A vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of
restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked

The violation of any of the above is a criminal offence, punishable by up to four years in
prison.

That's just crazy... I can strap my Glock 19 Or S&W CS40 or MkI or anything else I may own :wink: (loaded and chambered) on my side and walk up the street anytime I want... as long as its in the open ( no concealed carry for me yet).... Thank God for The Right To Bear Arms!!!!!!

Neodaddy
10-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Thank God for The Right To Bear Arms!!!!!!

I'm just glad they don't arm bears up here!:icon_lol:

EX Race Driver
10-07-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm just glad they don't arm bears up here!:icon_lol:

Naw thats in WVa