PDA

View Full Version : Golfers -- your thoughts

SteveH
11-18-2009, 05:09 PM
My wife and I are heading out to Scottsdale for a long weekend child-free getaway on Friday. There's a course at the resort we're staying at and we've decided to golf one day out there. She had the idea of packing enough clubs for the two of us into my golf bag instead of paying for checking two sets of clubs for our flight.

So, here's my question -- if you were to only take 7-8 clubs from your bag, which one's would they be?

Right now, I'm thinking:

Driver
3-wood
7-wood/recovery wood
5-iron
7-iron
9-iron
Pitching wedge
Putter

Think I can get away with this and not really suffer for my round?

Neodaddy
11-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Is it a long course or a shorter one?

SteveH
11-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Typical resort-style course. Nothing looks too long. Longer par-4's just over 400 yards from the "championship" tees.

http://www.kierlandgolf.com/scorecard.php

Mark B.
11-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Do not most nicer golf courses require each player have a bag? If so you might end up having to rent and that just might cancel out your savings. You might want to check in advance. It would suck if the airline "misplaces" both of your sets of clubs. I have friends who have UPS'ed golf clubs and even bicycles to their destinations so as not to have to deal with them on flights. The costs were about the same. Have a nice time by the way.

Neodaddy
11-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Personally, I'd go with
Driver
5 wood
3, 5, 7, 8, 9, sw
putter

I like my irons more than my woods.

SteveH
11-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Do not most nicer golf courses require each player have a bag? If so you might end up having to rent and that just might cancel out your savings. You might want to check in advance. It would suck if the airline "misplaces" both of your sets of clubs. I have friends who have UPS'ed golf clubs and even bicycles to their destinations so as not to have to deal with them on flights. The costs were about the same. Have a nice time by the way.

Good question Mark, I'll check with the course before we leave.

Mark B.
11-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Good question Mark, I'll check with the course before we leave.

To be clear, when I said "nicer" in my first post it was not meant to be snobby. I just do not think there are any dog tracks in Scottsdale AZ. and that place did not seem to be one at all either.

SteveH
11-18-2009, 06:04 PM
To be clear, when I said "nicer" in my first post it was not meant to be snobby. I just do not think there are any dog tracks in Scottsdale AZ. and that place did not seem to be one at all either.

No prob, I knew what you meant. I don't know if this course is exclusive or anything, but I assume, being a resort course, it's a pretty nice track.

stretch
11-18-2009, 06:42 PM
If you hit your driver OK, leave out the 3-wood and take a sand wedge. You hit a lot more shots around the greens than off the tee!

SteveH
11-18-2009, 06:55 PM
If you hit your driver OK, leave out the 3-wood and take a sand wedge. You hit a lot more shots around the greens than off the tee!

Actually, I hit my driver like crap most days, so I was thinking of going the other direction and doing the same thing (e.g. leaving the driver and taking the sand wedge).

Hockeyfan
11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I would go like this.

Driver,
3 wood
utility
putter
5 iron
7 iron
9 iron
SW

Without the driver I would add an additional wedge PW or Gap. You wife would likely need less clubs that you. Lets face it. Most of them hit the 9 iron about the same or as well/far as their 3,4,5 irons. LOL.

SteveH
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Without the driver I would add an additional wedge PW or Gap. You wife would likely need less clubs that you. Lets face it. Most of them hit the 9 iron about the same or as well/far as their 3,4,5 irons. LOL.

That's true. I'd say in a typical round, she probably only hits 4 or 5 clubs (driver, 3 wood, a short iron, wedge and putter). Scary thing is, it works for her. :icon_lol: