PDA

View Full Version : Infant diarrhea collection

tt3
06-08-2010, 02:06 AM
We've got to collect a somewhat significant amount of Sadie's stool. Her very loose, watery stool. You know, that stuff that gets absorbed almost immediately by most diapers?
Any suggestions?

What we've tried so far: seran wrap in the diaper... blows out the side, usually on to something else absorbent. Outfits, parents clothes, bouncy seat, swing... you get the idea.
gallon baggie with leg holes, diaper over. Less mess, more pee.
potty chair, again, lots of pee, not bad for a one month old, but we need the stool free of pee. This is what we're going to try again tomorrow unless someone else can come up with a better idea. There is already a lot of screaming which is the point of finding out what is wrong, so we're trying to limit that as much as possible.
Help.

Ctrain
06-08-2010, 02:17 AM
hmm. I've never had to do that, but you might try a cloth diaper without the absorbent stuff inside. I think it has the outer cloth (comfy for her) and a plastic liner thing. There is this gauzy stuff that you add to soak up the mess. Maybe leave that out? You might get a few with just pee and with pee and poop before you got a poop only, but it's something. I think you can pick up a "try me" pack for relatively cheap.

bosoxfan51682
06-08-2010, 02:29 AM
I agree with C train. our cloth diapers we use if you dont stuff them with the insert then you shouldnt get much absorbence at all. just an FYI we use Bum Genius. but I think most of the diapers are about the same. doesnt really sound like a whole lot of fun to me. you say only a month old?...wow bummer would siliac be a possibilty at that age?. I know my two neices and brother have it and if they have ANY gluten at all..then the next couple days are BAD..

jeffus
06-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Shop-Vac?

with a liner?

Wow, this IS a challenge.

This might be the ONE situation in recorded history where duct-tape cannot save the day. Hmmm....

wolfmanyoda
06-08-2010, 02:51 AM
This might be the ONE situation in recorded history where duct-tape cannot save the day. Hmmm....

Not so:

seran wrap in the diaper... blows out the side

Duct tape can seal up those sides. :icon_razz:

I don't know man, sounds like a sticky situation.

jeffus
06-08-2010, 02:52 AM
Just another tricky day. :icon_lol:

tt3
06-08-2010, 03:11 AM
She is sitting in the sink tub thing with a galllon bag wrapped kind of around her and the blanket and she's warm and sleeping. I swear this is the LONGEST she's gone without a drop of shit in weeks.

I'll let you know if this works.

We did cloth diapers for a couple weeks with our first, so I'm familiar with the process. Thing is extracting the stuff from the non-absorbant cloth, you know?
Thanks for the input guys, any other ideas?!?

Hockeyfan
06-08-2010, 03:49 AM
What about swim diapers? Not the ones that you buy from huggies or pampers or whatever they are, but the plastic types with the elastic around the waist and legs. Good luck. That don't sound remotely fun. Hope everything is okay.

tt3
06-08-2010, 12:15 PM
The tub thing was an epic fail.
Back to plan B.

CTDon
06-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I have no idea how to get the stool w/o pee from an infant. The potty is a good idea, but like you said, you need it without pee. At least it would be a bit easier if it were a boy.

dayum...i don't envy you. Good luck. The swim diaper idea is probably a good one.

Good luck.

tt3
06-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Just to add to the wonderful picture, we're dealing with a level of intensity near explosive...

Anyway, we'll try the potty chair again this morning. We're ideally hoping to get the sample soon so I can drop it off on my way to the dentist. Doesn't that sound like a fun day?!?

Hockeyfan
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
The swim diaper idea is probably a good one.

Obviously. :icon_lol:

tt3
06-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Hah, I stand corrected. The sink tub gallon baggie trick is an EPIC WIN! Having two ready, one for the peee, remove wipe new one for the poo worked like a charm.
We've got our sample!

Patrickz
06-08-2010, 02:19 PM
:party1:

Porschephile
06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
What about a water dropping, it'll take awhile but gets the job done. We've had give prolly 6-8 stool in the past 4 years for Alex not fun.

jim
06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
What about calling the hospital and asking to speak with a nurse in either the pediatric unit or the labor and delivery unit for suggestions.

irie feeling
06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
:balloons::balloons:

Hockeyfan
06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
What about calling the hospital and asking to speak with a nurse in either the pediatric unit or the labor and delivery unit for suggestions.

I think he already won.

tt3
06-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Pic from the unsuccessful tub attempt, we got a smile anyway.
http://www.dadstayshome.com/imagehosting/44c104367e11de.jpg

CTDon
06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
nice! Glad something worked out for you, MacGruber!

Neodaddy
06-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Congrats man, but shouldn't this have been in the "Pull up your stool" section?

DarthDaddy
06-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Congrats on the win...

There are actually collection "items" that are used in the hospital. They isolate the areas as they collect. Not sure if there is an over the counter method.