PDA

View Full Version : Back to (no) sleep.

stretch
09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
OK, I could use some perspective here from some people who aren't so tired they're walking into doors. On the offchance there's anyone on here that fits that description. ;)

Our daughter had been making steady progress on the night sleeping front and from about 4-1/2 months was sleeping through most of the time, 8:30ish -- 6:00ish. She's now 6 months and in the last few weeks has suddenly been waking up every 3/4 hours again and absolutely demanding a feed.

We're tried leaving her to work it out on her own, but we're somewhat limited by her room's proximity to her brother's and her quite impressive lung capacity. Did I mention she's already 30 inches and over 24 lbs? Do you think there's likely to be much demand for female nose tackles in future?

The wife is inclined to think she needs the extra feed/s because she's already the size of an average 18-month-old, and growing that fast has got to take a lot out of a girl. I don't know -- she's getting plenty of solids now along with her milk and we could just be setting ourselves up for a long-running series of midnight snack breaks going forward. Which would suck. We know she can happily sleep through the night, since she'd been happily doing it up till fairly recently.

What to do?

sao95
09-13-2006, 12:52 PM
what kind of solids? I'd try a little cereal in her night time bottle if she is old enough, alot of people say it's not good to put cereal in a bottle though, so ,obviously, only do it if your comfortable with it.

SGTDad
09-13-2006, 01:19 PM
That's a tough one. My daughter did the same thing. What we did was get her up and feed her right before WE went to bed - about 11pm or midnight. That helped a lot to tide her over while we were sleeping.

Weston
09-13-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm wondering if we are starting to run into the same thing... Anna is now 5 months old and for the past 3 months she had been sleeping happily through the night (10 to 7)

Now she is starting to wake up once during the night wanting a small feeding.

We are trying to fill her up with a solid in her last feeding along with the formula

Mark B.
09-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Stretch,

Boy were you and your wife spoiled getting her to sleep from 8:30 to 6:00 at that age. That might be half the problem. SGT Dad's idea of a feeding, and maybe a change if want to risk sturing her too much, might be a help. Good luck.

Mark B.
09-13-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm wondering if we are starting to run into the same thing... Anna is now 5 months old and for the past 3 months she had been sleeping happily through the night (10 to 7)

Sleep habits like these for young ones are the exception not the rule I think. A child waking up once a night for a feesding till around a year or so is a bit more the norm from what I have found. The problem is, once you get into a routine the little buggers go ahead and change it.

Weston
09-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I think we were spoiled with her... Alex never slept well and still doesn't :rolleyes:

Indy
09-13-2006, 01:54 PM
what kind of solids? I'd try a little cereal in her night time bottle if she is old enough, alot of people say it's not good to put cereal in a bottle though, so ,obviously, only do it if your comfortable with it.
I'll second the suggestion of adding rice cereal to the bottle. Both our kids went through the same thing. So, we'd load them up before bed with a bottle that was almost the consistency of a shake (per the doctor's orders). We used a #2 nipple (used a #1 for just formula).

That seemed to do the trick for us.

tt3
09-13-2006, 02:12 PM
We were worried with the screamer waking Tara so we put up with the frequent wakings until 10 months, then went with feeding her thick before bed and letting her work it out during the night. Usually I'd go in there and just check to make sure nothing was wrong and walk out. We went through a rough week but after that Tara can sleep through Leah's rages and Leah started sleeping MUCH better. (It also helped her behavior too...)

Alpha-Dad
09-13-2006, 04:19 PM
My daughter did the same thing. What we did was get her up and feed her right before WE went to bed - about 11pm or midnight. That helped a lot to tide her over while we were sleeping.

Ditto. :sleepy:

jim
09-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Myt suggestion is to either put some ceral in her last bottle of the night or feed her some kind of snack about 1/2 hour before bedtime.

Also feed her a snack or two during the day. See if this helps.

Another possibility is the light level in her room. If you keep it fairly dark the kid may be developing a fear of the dark. A night light or an extra one might also do the trick if the feeding does not help. Something to consider.

silviomossa
09-13-2006, 06:07 PM
A child waking up once a night for a feesding till around a year or so is a bit more the norm from what I have found.
I agree. And I'm of the belief that one can't spoil a five month old child. One gives them what they need, and if they need to feed once a night (as research shows, many kids do), then one does it.

stretch
09-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks all.

We'll give the cereal mix a go and see how she does. Any rule of thumb for how many teaspoons per 8 oz. bottle?

sao95
09-13-2006, 08:44 PM
I honestly don't remember, but basically you have to make sure it's not so thick that it won't go through the nipple, Indy probably knows...

housedude
09-14-2006, 01:43 PM
I am going against ever book out there but we let K have a bottle in bed with cereal at 6 months. She would get up and polish it off sometime during the night.

housedude
09-14-2006, 01:44 PM
I dont rember how many teaspoons but we did have to cut the nipple with a razor slightly.

Jackson's Dad
09-14-2006, 04:24 PM
We know she can happily sleep through the night, since she'd been happily doing it up till fairly recently.

If she can sleep through the night without eating, and has done so for a while, then she probably doesn't *need* the extra food. Are you sure she's asking to eat? It could instead just be the beginning of a ploy to get more attention and avoid sleep (our son would try that every few months until he was around 1.5 years old).

See what your doc says about the amount she eats, compared to her growth pattern.

jim
09-15-2006, 04:01 AM
Thanks all.

We'll give the cereal mix a go and see how she does. Any rule of thumb for how many teaspoons per 8 oz. bottle?

About 2 is usually the max. They do make transition feeders with larger holes in the nipples. They are designed to help kids transition from liquids to solids. You can go about 50/50 or even slightly thicker than that with those.

Indy
09-15-2006, 05:41 AM
Our doc recommended a 1-3 ratio. We'd fill an 8 ounce bottle to 6 ounces of formula and top it off with the rice.