PDA

View Full Version : Brendin's Christening..............................

Porschephile
02-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Well getting the ball rolling for Brendin's Christening, we had the hardest time decided on the godparents we got narrowed down to two couples and 1 single relative and one single friend. Booked the church for the 3rd Saturday in May. It wasn't hard for to come up w/ names for godparents, we were just amazed that people would turn us down! So the three questions I have are :

1}Who did you pick your children's godparent ?
2}How involved are they in your child's life ?
3}How big a celebration did you have afterwards ?

woodchuck
02-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Well, in the beginning we picked people who would be young enough to be around for the whole of their <18years, and who be a part of their lives.

Now, in retrospect, we didn't choose very wisely, the new criteria would be:

what couple leads a life that includes God, other than just Sunday's,
they will be voluntarily interested in the childs life, more than b-day or holiday,
they will have a desire in the spiritual upbringing of the child they will sponsor,
they would be willing to raise the child if something happened to the parents
they would not necessarily be our best friends, but rather, good role models for the child

This might sound like a difficult bill to fill, but it's what we'd recommend to our own kids when the time comes, but if we've done well as parents, then they should already know what to do.

We had sloppy joe's and related fare, paper plates, before hand, because the people willing to make the drive were going home after the church service, so they were only here for about an hour before-hand.

The one thing that bugged me, the Godparents had to be catholic, I know some well grounded folks that are not catholic and some abusive persons who are, so it's a poor requisite in my eyes, the parents should have the final say.

JimP
02-28-2007, 04:45 PM
criteria would be:

what couple leads a life that includes God, other than just Sunday's,
they will be voluntarily interested in the childs life, more than b-day or holiday,
they will have a desire in the spiritual upbringing of the child they will sponsor,
they would be willing to raise the child if something happened to the parents
they would not necessarily be our best friends, but rather, good role models for the child

Good Stuff, Woodchuck!

To many people lose sight of the purpose of Godparents- the religious upbringing of the child in the absence of the parents- and are overly concerned about the party afterward.........much the same with other religious institutions, such as marriage............

Cubfan
02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
My sister and BIL chose unwisely, they chose me and my wife. At the time we were all getting along great, but now my BIL and I can't stand eachother so our relationship with our niece/goddaughter has suffered because of it.

Dont make the mistake and assume that the Godparents have anything to do with legal guardianship of the child in the event that something happens to the parents. It has no legal ramifications whatsoever. (you need to write a will for that and specifically appoint legal guardians). This is purely religious. My sister and BIL didn't understand that at the time because I flat out told them, hey, my wife and I are not religious in the least bit, but we will gladly mentor your child the best we can and try to establish a special bond with her. But like I said, we haven't done a great job at that, and it's just as much their fault as it is ours.

As for us, we haven't even bothered with godparents for our child. It's just one more thing that will stir the pot with my family; "Why didn't I get chosen?" "I dont even know that guy". "It's too much gift giving". It's not worth it.

chuck
02-28-2007, 05:13 PM
we picked my wifes brother and his wife being they fit the whole catholic thing and are reasonable folks, now of course they have been divorced since than but this is really no biggie. My BIL is very involved with my son so life is good. We did a small party at our local all U can eat Chinese place, was good as it was a lunch thing, I personally don't see any reason to go big and fancy but some folks do.

Porschephile
02-28-2007, 05:20 PM
We aren't religious at all, even though we belong to a Episcopal Church. We decided on not chosing relatives cause we didn't want to here it from her side or my side of our family, about why didn't you chose me. We plan on invited 35-40 people and I'm pricing out restraunants that we can rent out.

Jackson's Dad
03-01-2007, 03:52 AM
Well, we are interfaith, and raising the children Jewish. But we still named godparents for Jackson at his naming (we didn't have a bris), choosing one of my brothers and my wife's sister. We'll do the same for Kayley at her naming.

In my family (Catholic), the tradition of godparents has had nothing to do with religion. It's mainly been an honor to the godparent, and a way to possibly provide a special relationship for the child. But then again, when i was growing up we were all so close I often confused who was my godparent! And for our generation, my godson lives far away, so I don't get much chance to ever interact with him.

By the way, I dug this up: me at my baptism with my godparents, Uncle Gene and Aunt Lucille:
http://www.sroka.net/photos/godparents.jpg