PDA

View Full Version : Explaining to a 2 y/o why he was kicked at school..........

Porschephile
05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
So my mini me just asks "why did x give me boo boo's ? How do you explain to a toddler why he was injured by someone else ?

Patrickz
05-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I would tell him that simply some kids are mean and don't know how to act towards others. But a two yr old may not understand that concept and if this is the case I would praise him on how he handled the situation like a big boy. A part of me says to tell him if a kid does that again to fight back as hard as you can but that doesn't seem like a good plan ether. Crap I don't know!!! Those with older boys need to chime in. #-o

jim
05-10-2007, 08:04 PM
I think what I would tell him is that some people have a hard time learning how to play nice with others and with learning how to share. Sometimes when these people get mad they do not know how to talk about how they are feeling and instead hurt others. It is wrong for them to do so and hopefully they will learn how to play nice in the future.

As far as going back to school I think I would say something like:

Mommy and Daddy love you very much and we want you to be happy and safe and since school is almost over now anyway we have decided to not have you go back so you can get all better and be ready to go to school next year.

jerseydad
05-10-2007, 09:13 PM
So my mini me just asks "why did x give me boo boo's ? How do you explain to a toddler why he was injured by someone else ?

We're not up to that stage yet...but I would guess I would say something along the lines of "I'm sorry x did that to you. He probably didn't know that he did something wrong. But you did the right thing saying something to me. I want you to tell me if this happens again, ok?" I would probably also ask if the teacher knows about what happened. If so, I woud ask if the teacher did anything about it. If not, I would probably say its okay to tell the teacher if it ever happens again. If it happened repeately where my kid would come home and say X gave me another boo boo, I'd probably give a call to the school to see whats going on. But like I said in the beginning, Im not quite up to that stage yet. We still havent reached the 1.5 years mark yet...but we are up to the age where some babies share and others grab...it makes me crazy when some of the other babies steal toys or hit other babies and their parents are right there and dont say a word. I always try to do the right thing if my kid does something wrong & I expect the same from other parents...although that doesnt always happen of course.

chuck
05-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Well I've had to explain this once myself, my son is very large for his age, he about a foot taller than every one else in his class and most of his friends so he is often mistaken for being older than he is, well one day when he was four we were playing at a local playground and he and his friend started playing with some older kids, one thing lead to another next thing I see is my son laying on the ground crying, I went to see what happened and it turns out one of the older kids (6 or 7 yo) flat out punched him in the stomach because he was winning at the game they were playing, of course the older kids parents were no where to be found and as soon as I got wind of what happened they ran for home.
Thankfully it was his pride that was hurt more than anything else, however he didn't want to ever go back to that playground and was asking why some one would hurt him for no good reason? It's a tuff one to explain, you really have to try to get it to the simplest of terms for them, as has been mentioned explaining that some kids just don't play nice with others, I did force him to go back to that play ground and soon he forgot all about it, I did notice a change in his behavior around other kids, he becomes very defensive of his smaller friends and seems to have no fear standing right up to anyone who starts crap with him or his friends, he seems to have figured out he is bigger than most kids his age and has figured out how to use it. Fortunately he is not aggressive at all but only defensive, I've seen kids start fighting with one of his friends getting face to face and he just walks right up and gets between them getting right in the face of the kid picking on his friend untill the kid backs off. Now of course this is going to get him in a good fight some day and I've tried on many occasions to try to tell him not to do this but he thinks he's helping his friends#-o
Not sure I would get into to heated a fight about him going back, you might try the idea of wanting him to go back so he doesn't get gun shy of school, thats the only reason I made my son go back to that playground, couldn't deal with him being afraid of being beat up on every play ground.
Good luck with what ever you do.

Riggs
05-11-2007, 04:31 AM
It's really never happened for us. There's been getting a little too rough, a few tears, no more, nothing like what you described. I'm not sure how much a kid who's not even 3 yet can get. I think my answer would be I don't know, I don't understand it either (which is the truth). That I hope he can learn how important it is not to do that to other people. That your mom and I can't always keep you from getting hurt, but if there's something that we decide is not safe, we'll stay away.

And that your first Tae Kwon Do self defense lesson starts next week. :)