PDA

View Full Version : Do not Smack

Aussie Dad
05-22-2007, 10:47 PM
“It never hurt me”; “Its good for them”; “How else are they going to learn”, are some of the common excuses to smack or hit a child. None of them good. Every time a child is smacked it’s learning that to get someone to stop something just hit them. Then when the child puts this into action by hitting a sibling or in the school yard to solve a problem the adult world descends on them like a ton of bricks. Poor kids how are they meant to make sense of these conflicting messages?

Need more reasons?…Hitting often makes the parent feel better. If a parent feels anger, frustration etc (and who doesn’t) hitting your kid is not the way to vent this. Do you want your kid to fear you? Poor Dad, how is he meant to have a relationship with his kids when the kids live in fear of, “wait until dad gets home”.

Smacking can have the opposite of the desired effect; how can hitting a kid and inflicting pain stop a child from crying?

A child will copy what a parent does, if you hit, the child will too.

As for a bit of science, behaviourism studies have shown that punishment (eg smacking) if a poor way to teach. Reinforcement is far more effective.

Aussie Dad
menathome.com.au

Cubfan
05-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Personally, I dont buy it... somehow my child doesn't stop droppping food on the floor after dad says 19 times "dont drop food on the floor son". But when I smack his hand he gets the point.

Likewise, my neighbor's kid (who I use as the example of the "bad kid") doesn't stop doing what she's told until the mom gets up and let's her know who's boss.

I'm not saying I'm whooping my child, but I think they need the 'attention getter'.

Aussie Dad
05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Why is the child dropping food? Is it attention? They dont like the food? Not hungry?

Does the child contiue to drop the the next time theyare eating? If so the smack has only a short term effect.

Try taking the food away. Kids will not stave themseleves and will learn pretty quickly if they drop the food they wont get anything to eat

chuck
05-22-2007, 11:13 PM
well I NEVER smacked my daughter the whole time she was growing up (very tuff thing to do during teen years) and she never listened to me, I've smacked my sons butt once or twice and he doesn't listen to me so I guess smacking really doesn't accomplish crap, but hey I dare anyone to try to take food away from my son :) (9 years old 5'tall pushing 130lbs)

Cubfan
05-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Why is the child dropping food? Is it attention? They dont like the food? Not hungry?

I honestly think he does it because he thinks it's funny. This just started by the way (the smack of the hand, not the dropping of the food. He's been doing that for a while now.) So we'll see.

I got my ass handed to me growing up and I think I turned out more level-headed than most.

Aussie Dad
05-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Sounds like its attention seeking. I suggest, you sit and talk to your son (ie give attention) while he is eating and when he drops food, walk away and dont say a word or look at him (not even a look) ie withdraw the attention. This will need to be repeated until he gets the message. The idea is that his act of dropping the food gets the opposite response he is looking for.

Failing that take the food away (hoping he's not 5 feet tall)

jim
05-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Every child is different. Some respond well to one form of discipline and some to another form.

Using a physical form of discipline in a controlled manner does not make a person a bad parent, nor does it constitute abuse.

Aussie Dad
05-22-2007, 11:54 PM
It doesnt make a bad parent. But there are better ways to get the job done.

Smacking is a violent act. We are teaching our kids to fix thier problems with violent acts

Cubfan
05-23-2007, 12:01 AM
It doesnt make a bad parent. But there are better ways to get the job done.

Smacking is a violent act. We are teaching our kids to fix thier problems with violent acts

It's a disciplinary act. If my dad's smacking his kids was teaching us to be violent then I'd be Attila the Hun by now.

Aussie Dad
05-23-2007, 12:07 AM
I dont want to know, but wonder what your views are on the Iraq war, gun control; defence spending etc

Cubfan
05-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Why do you wonder? What do my views on Iraq, gun control, etc. have to do with how I deal with my son throwing his food on the floor?????

Are you spamming or just looking to debate?

Aussie Dad
05-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Its taking the topic too far and too personal. I dont want to know your views on these issues. But I sometimes wonder if a child is smacked (what I call a violent act) if thier views on other issues as they grow older are more likely to be aggressive or passive.

Don-Dad
05-23-2007, 12:25 AM
I was beat, alot, as a kid. Hit with foreign objects like vacuum's and telephones. I'm not a violent person, I think I was in one or 2 fights in my life and both were in hockey games (goes with the territory). So I do not buy your arguement :) And I do occassionally spank and my kidsget plenty of attention seeing how I have been home with them since my oldest was 12 weeks and he is now 7.5 years.

It was typed before but kids are different. When we teach martial arts at my school, we know that you approach every kid different. Some kids needs push ups and getting into their face a little to get them to listen and others just require a stern look.

Weston
05-23-2007, 12:33 AM
What about pinching? :huh:

Weston
05-23-2007, 12:39 AM
I have to add... and kind of a derail (second one to this thread I guess), that Mommy was sent to the corner about an hour ago. After she went to the corner and came back explained to her why he sent her to the corner - it was because she wasn't listening to him ("You not listen to Alex")

What does any of that mean? I don't know, but I thought it was cute :)

jeffus
05-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Is it OK to have violent thoughts? :shock:

I've got a Pony I'd like to smack....8)

Actually lots of Ponies...:roll:

(See avatar!)

sao95
05-23-2007, 01:15 AM
wow your third post and quite preachy to boot...

Sounds like its attention seeking. I suggest, you sit and talk to your son (ie give attention) while he is eating and when he drops food, walk away and dont say a word or look at him (not even a look) ie withdraw the attention. This will need to be repeated until he gets the message. The idea is that his act of dropping the food gets the opposite response he is looking for.

Failing that take the food away (hoping he's not 5 feet tall)

so if spanking a child teaches them to be violent what does game playing and manipulation teach :huh: maybe he'll be a CEO, or better yet a congressman :lol:

Cubfan
05-23-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm with Sao - too preachy, some odd postings right there.

Aussie Dad
05-23-2007, 02:05 AM
I guess it comes down to what is the most effective way of teaching our kids and how they react to whatever method is chosen.

Im not aware of prior posts - sorry if this has all been done before

jeffus
05-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Im not aware of prior posts - sorry if this has all been done before

Oh, it's been smacked around a few times before......;)

Your beating a dead Pony....:roll: :)

woodchuck
05-23-2007, 03:18 AM
The more aware a parent is of the quantity of techniques for disciplining children, the better equipped they are, and can try and choose which techniques are most effective for the individual child.

Cubfan
05-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Woodchuck you're right about the quantity of techniques; yesterday I tried the smack, today I'm trying the ole "bitch-slap". If that doesn't work tomorrow I'll just pummel the kid.

woodchuck
05-23-2007, 12:35 PM
The 'Super Soaker' is the politically correct way to splank your kid to obedience, and you can do it in public too.

cjbart
05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
One obvservation- When people say "I got hit and I turned out just fine" I put it in the same category as "We never had to ride in carseats and we survived."

Cubfan
05-23-2007, 01:27 PM
what category is that? The "Living Proof" Category? Look, carseats have nothing to do with it. For this guy to suggest that I'm going to smack my kid with the leather belt every other night because my dad did it to me is absurb.

From my observations, while far from a clinical study, the people I know who seem to have more problems with authority are the ones who were raised by this overly PC, dont lay a hand on your kid crap. From people my age, to my cousin 15 years younger than me, to a few kids in the neighborhood. They all need a swift kick in the ass.

My younger cousin, who grew up without a single ounce of discipline, is 18 years old and dropped out of school and is now in some kind of a boys-home because they can't control him. My uncle and aunt made everything into a negotiation; "ok well if you dont want to do this you have to do this". My God it was painful to watch this crap. Oh my other cousin (his sister), 21 year old alcoholic. These parents just have no authority in their own house. My dad raised 6 kids with a very heavy hand. 6 kids, 6 college degrees, 2 graduate degrees, 5 homeowners, not one of them with a single problem with the law. Ok, my other brother is 36 going on 18 but I digress.

My point, raise your kids the way you see fit, and dont let someone else tell you how to do it.

Don-Dad
05-23-2007, 01:33 PM
One obvservation- When people say "I got hit and I turned out just fine" I put it in the same category as "We never had to ride in carseats and we survived."

What a coincidance as I never used a car seat growing up either, hmmm, maybe my kids do not need one, hahahahaha!

QJ
05-23-2007, 01:45 PM
I agree with Cubfan, raise your kids how you see fit. There is a big difference in spanking a child and beating the crap out of them. Sometimes a child needs a smack on the butt to get them to behave. Time-outs can only do so much. As said in a previous post, it all depends on the child.

My wife and I told each other that we were not going to be spanking parents but the first time we did it didn't hurt us so much!

woodchuck
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
What kind of home did the guy in Quirkee's avatar grow up in?

tt3
05-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Wow, I take the evening off from checking posts and look what happens! I'm all for the parenting tool box concept. Corporal punishment is just one more tool in the box.

QJ
05-23-2007, 02:10 PM
That oddball (in my avatar) either got spanked too much or not enough!

stretch
05-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Corporal punishment is just one more tool in the box.
I dunno man, beaning them with a pipe wrench seems like overkill. :-\"

jeffus
05-23-2007, 02:30 PM
I dunno man, beaning them with a pipe wrench seems like overkill. :-\"

Not if they come at you with a chainsaw...!

silviomossa
05-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree with Cubfan, raise your kids how you see fit. There is a big difference in spanking a child and beating the crap out of them.

People do need to do it as they see fit, but they can learn via discussion, which is why this is a good thing.

Regarding the big difference, there is, but I fear the slippery slope, i.e. "I hit him on the hand, that didn't work. So I hit him on the butt, that didn't work. Now I'll have to keep hurting him more and more until it works."

To which I would respond, perhaps an entirely different method would work? And necessarily one that provides a quick fix, but one an approach that would be good for the long-term development of the child.

North Country Dad
05-23-2007, 02:50 PM
My father was 6-4, 220 lbs, and a mechanic (rough, grease-stained hands, etc.). He never, ever laid a hand on us, but all eight of us kids listened when he spoke. I remember being afraid -- not that he might hurt us, but his demeanor was such that you didn't want him to raise his voice (which he seldom did) or disapprove. I think, in part, this was because he worked so much. In other words, when he was home, we didn't want him to be angry with us; we wanted him to pay us attention and be happy.

Anyhow, my wife and I are not the physical punishment kind and find the whole idea rather distasteful. Personally, I just don't see any good coming from it. (A tiny tap on the hand is one thing; a deliberate, planned-out spanking is another.)

We make a conscious effort to maintain control and teach respect using a stern voice, time-outs, and discussion (do you understand why it's not nice to do that?) I don't want my kids to behave because they are afraid of me hitting them. God, just the thought of doing that turns my stomach. I want them to behave because they don't want to disappoint -- as they get older, of course, I want them to understand why it's important to be decent and respectful.

I suppose if our kids had severe emotional disabilities, then we might find physical restraint necessary. I don't know. But I just can't imagine a spanking or a head slap or anything like that.

Riggs
05-23-2007, 03:09 PM
6 kids, 6 college degrees, 2 graduate degrees, 5 homeowners, not one of them with a single problem with the law.
Yea, but I heard one of them turned out to be a SAHD! ;)

This all brings out the point that it doesn't work to give people advice, especially on parenting, unless they ask for it first. I know I've screwed up on that one before though (like with my wife :)). But like silvio said, discussion is great. :yeah:

I agree, Cubfan, parents that are wishy washy about discipline are gonna have problems. And a friend of ours who's a good child psychologist was spanked as a kid, didn't think it did him any harm. So I think, IMHO, this is an option for some, if it's not done in frustration. But we feel like Northcountry on the physical punishment. I try to have a stern voice like his dad, not fearful, but stern. And to be creative with consequences, positive and negative, but no hitting of any kind. They do pretty darn well I think, if I say so myself. I think there's a big spectrum between wishy washy and spanking.

QJ
05-23-2007, 03:13 PM
My parents never really spanked. I can remember maybe one or two times and it was never a "pick your switch and meet me behind the woodshed" kind of thing. Not even a "bend me over their knee" kind of thing. More like a swat or two on the clothed ass as a "you better straighten up now" kind of thing.

My dad was also very good at the "sit down and listen" routine that went along with the "we're very disappointed in your actions" routine. I hated disappointing my parents so I usually only did things once and not again (as an older kid/teenager).

I also always took the detention option instead of licks at school (except once, I was in a hurry) because I wasn't going to let the V.Principal spank me. I thought licks at school were the most ridiculous thing and were not effective anyway (as older kids/teenagers). I did have to write a few papers like cbass made his kid do. But I liked writing so that wasn't really punishment either.

I guess my point is that NCD has a good point. Spanking may not be the most effective way to deal with whatever the problem is, but IMO some kids need that pop on the butt to let them know to straighten up. I have also been able to threaten "no trampoline for a day or no videos for a day" and that usually works. Not always, though, as he is a spirited child!

God help me when his sister is old enough to get in trouble.

silviomossa
05-23-2007, 03:15 PM
I think there's a big spectrum between wishy washy and spanking.

And they aren't mutually exclusive, if one spanks without rhyme or reason.

Parents, as we've seen here, can be extremely firm without ever raising a hand to their kids.

Cubfan
05-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I try to have a stern voice like his dad, not fearful, but stern.

I think that can be effective. I wonder if some parent's stern voice just isn't stern enough. In other words, saying "Timmy dont do that" a dozen times in a mild manner just isn't convincing enough to the child. But when you let them know you're serious by changing your tone, I could see where it could intercept the need for the smack-down.

For the record, I hope I dont need to smack/spank my children. I'm sarcastic with some of my verbiage here but I dont want anyone to think I'm a bonafide spanker. But I do want to instill some kind of a 3rd strike rule. As in: I'll tell them once, second time I'll remind them sternly, and there is no third time!

goingrey
05-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Careful Aussie, you're just like me popping in with contraversial topics. Only mine are usually on the conservative side. Apparently you need like 500 posts to poke at the bears :jester:
As far as spanking, I've hit my boys on hands and butts for discipline and neither has hit another kid in school or anywhere.
The irony is my liberal atheist treehugging neighbor refuses to spank her boys. Her 5yr old tells her what to do, throws dirt/sand at my boys, then mouths off to me when I tell him to go back home. Needless to say they don't play together much.
I understand the desire to protect childrens fragile spirits and psyche. But a child with a balance of love AND discipline should turn out better than having too much of either.

Don-Dad
05-23-2007, 03:28 PM
You have to remember alot gets lost in translation when posting on a forum.

I just do not care for the "holier than thou" crap that has been posted in a few comments. You chatting with mostly 30 or 40+ year old adults who are parents. If your chatting with a 19 year old, then yes, some of what a few of you are saying would be good. But please be careful with the condescending attitude "My way is best" crap.

QJ
05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
You have to remember alot gets lost in translation when posting on a forum.

I just do not care for the "holier than thou" crap that has been posted in a few comments. You chatting with mostly 30 or 40+ year old adults who are parents. If your chatting with a 19 year old, then yes, some of what a few of you are saying would be good. But please be careful with the condescending attitude "My way is best" crap.

Man, now I have to go back and read to be sure it wasn't me!

p.s. Is my cute dog avatar better than freakman? O:)

Riggs
05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Yea, I agree Don. If I ever unintentionally sound like that, somebody smack me. O:)

I think that can be effective. I wonder if some parent's stern voice just isn't stern enough. In other words, saying "Timmy don't do that" a dozen times in a mild manner just isn't convincing enough to the child.
No doubt!! I see it all the time, parents throwing out commands, then letting it slide if the kids don't do it. The Kindergarten teacher we had and will have next year was a master of doing this well. She'll give the direction, if no action in 5 seconds, "you have a warning," if another 5 seconds, "you have a strike." Not 6 seconds, 5. Three strikes and there was a consequence, like talking to the principal. With 26 5 year olds, it's amazing the control she keeps over her class. None of the kids want strikes, and there's a chart showing who has them. My son only got one strike all year, and broke down crying when he did (loved his record for 7 months). Maybe almost too behaving, if you know what I mean??

jeffus
05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
The Kindergarten teacher we had and will have next year was a master of doing this well. She'll give the direction, if no action in 5 seconds, "you have a warning," if another 5 seconds, "you have a strike." Not 6 seconds, 5. Three strikes and there was a consequence, like talking to the principal. With 26 5 year olds, it's amazing the control she keeps over her class. None of the kids want strikes, and there's a chart showing who has them. My son only got one strike all year, and broke down crying when he did (loved his record for 7 months). Maybe almost too behaving, if you know what I mean??

Our kindergarten teacher does the same thing. Each strike = 5 minutes out of play time. Anthony M got 3 strikes the other day & missed out on all 15 minutes of fun. Bawled his little eyes out....(He has behavior issues and they're trying to work with with him - parents & teachers together).

silviomossa
05-23-2007, 04:09 PM
In other words, saying "Timmy dont do that" a dozen times in a mild manner just isn't convincing enough to the child.

I agree, a different approach (though not necessarily spanking) is needed. And isn't that the definition of insanity -- doing things multiple times, but expecting a different result? Saying something more than 2-3 times (in an individual instance) is probably a waste of breath.

tt3
05-23-2007, 04:28 PM
You know what else torques me, when I see parents saying "Timmy, don't do that" with a smile on the face. Seriously, that'll work, mmmhmmm.

Its all about COMMAND VOICE. It doesn't come out often, but when it does it gets heeded. :twisted:

cjbart
05-23-2007, 04:39 PM
COMMAND VOICE and immediate, predictable consequences.

Trevor57
05-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Aussie. Are you an expert in all matters of parenting, or just those regarding punishment?

Cubfan
05-24-2007, 03:28 AM
Aussie. Are you an expert in all matters of parenting, or just those regarding punishment?

Nice! The newby showing some sass. I like it! I didn't start getting lippy until I was a couple hundred posts in!

Don't mess with the boys from Aurora, IL tonight!

woodchuck
05-24-2007, 03:51 AM
Cubby, 2K posts, in the smackdown thread. nice.

Cubfan
05-24-2007, 03:55 AM
Cubby, 2K posts, in the smackdown thread. nice.

Actually number 2k was posted in Sao's mushy thread. A much better way to spend the milestone in a positive fashion.

This would be 2001, I think the number updates itself no matter where you post.

Aussie Dad
05-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Smacking doesnt mean you are a bad parent and it can have some effect.

Not smacking doesnt mean you are a wishy washy parent. Disciple can be firm and effective without smacking.

All I'm trying to say is that there may be better ways to teach our children what is right and what is wrong.

Aussie Dad
05-27-2007, 05:47 AM
He's an article I just found. What do you think

http://www.kindredmedia.com.au/info/ordinary_lives_every_day_violence_plain_talk_about _spanking/81/1

Weston
05-27-2007, 01:29 PM
He's an article I just found. What do you think

http://www.kindredmedia.com.au/info/ordinary_lives_every_day_violence_plain_talk_about _spanking/81/1

Today, one finds no support for spanking in the scientific literature.

With that first sentence of the article I was looking forward to references from scientific literature throughout the rest of the article to back each claim (Some really interesting claims in that article too :shock: ). Didn't see that.

Force

Spanking teaches children that human interaction is based on force, that might makes right. The more a child is spanked, the greater is the likelihood that that child will become an adult who deals with others, not by reason and good example, but by force. What kind of person are we describing? The bully is such a person. The rapist is such a person. The wife beater is such a person. The quack, the cheat, the con artist, the crook-each of these is such a person. And so are cowards and hangers-on who derive their power secondhand by clinging to such people as those we've just listed.

Speaking of use of force... just a little while ago I had to forcibly hold my son still while pulling out a sliver from the bottom of his foot. "No daddy, boo-boo!" is what he said to me while I did it. I used force on him, he felt pain. Do you think I did any psychological damage to him?

BTW - Wife and I generally lean towards not spanking for discipline, but we don't see this as a black and white issue with no grey areas in between.

stretch
05-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure how much this contributes to the debate, but if it's on the Internet it must be true, right?

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_imagearticle2377.jpg

Weston
05-28-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure how much this contributes to the debate, but if it's on the Internet it must be true, right?

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_imagearticle2377.jpg

Almost as much as this does probably :p

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/tytto73/parent_web1a.jpg

goingrey
05-28-2007, 01:04 AM
r-o-f-l. 2 good responses. mine would not be so funny so I'll just have to laugh!

jeffus
12-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Great to see that Aussie Dad is still with us and staying current! ;)

Thanks for all the constructive criticism and open-minded feed-back over the years...

and again - Wow!? I don't know how I made it this far without you! Zoinks!

So...how are the kids? :-\" :finga:

Cubfan
12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
That's funny. I was thinking about this thread not too long ago. Seems to be a few guys out there who only show up when they want to get into a pissing match. That's fine, I'm always game! :)

AR Dad
12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
I dont want to know, but wonder what your views are on the Iraq war, gun control; defence spending etc

Hey Cubfan, you tryin' to set me up here? :jester:

Cubfan
12-10-2007, 02:17 PM
No man, the other guy is the one asking!! :)

Besides, in my last post I was referring to a guy who only shows up to talk about that...

AR Dad
12-10-2007, 03:01 PM
No man, the other guy is the one asking!! :)

Besides, in my last post I was referring to a guy who only shows up to talk about that...

Just makin' sure you weren't recruiting people to do your dirty work. :mrgreen:

jeffb
12-10-2007, 03:04 PM

Does the child contiue to drop the the next time theyare eating? If so the smack has only a short term effect.

Try taking the food away. Kids will not stave themseleves and will learn pretty quickly if they drop the food they wont get anything to eat

Pretty much what we do. They drop their food we take it a way. They drop their sippy cup we give it back ONCE. If they drop it again we take it. Seems to work.

Cubfan
12-10-2007, 03:05 PM
AR - sounds like this guy is wondering if you're more likely to whoop your children because you're a gunner.... He was the one looking for a debate, not me. I was innocent! (I think that's only the second time I can claim that)

But I sometimes wonder if a child is smacked (what I call a violent act) if thier views on other issues as they grow older are more likely to be aggressive or passive.

Cubfan
12-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Incidentally, today is the closest my boy has come to getting a full-blown beat down. he set the tone by waking up at 5 screaming for his milk. Threw a fit at the breakfast table, wouldn't let me get him out of his pajamas, he's on this 3rd crying fit right now. The temptation has never been greater than it is right now...

AR Dad
12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
AR - sounds like this guy is wondering if you're more likely to whoop your children because you're a gunner....

Yeah, I got that impression too. I was going to reply to it, but I'm too busy right now prepping my guns for my next trip to the range and simultaneously beating my kids. :devil:

Cubfan
12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
dont bother replying to him, that guy hasn't been around since this thread back in the spring time.

tt3
12-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I got that impression too. I was going to reply to it, but I'm too busy right now prepping my guns for my next trip to the range and simultaneously beating my kids. :devil:

laughing

jeffb
12-10-2007, 03:20 PM
When I just replied I didn't see the date. I thought it was a new thread. After I hit reply I figured it out. We're all different.

jim
12-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I was shocked that this thread came back up. I thought it had died the death it deserved a long time ago.

PackerDad
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
We're all different.

Some say different, some say special. :headset:

MADDOX626
12-10-2007, 09:40 PM
That Aussie guy is nuts!!!!! I smack my sons hand when he does something wrong.

jeffus
12-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Geez guys! #-o

I bumped it up as a commentary on those who storm in, stir-up a hornets nest, and disappear without a trace....Sorry! :-\"

woodchuck
12-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Geez guys! #-o

I bumped it up as a commentary on those who storm in, stir-up a hornets nest, and disappear without a trace....Sorry! :-\"

I'll hold the mirror for you, ponymaster.

jim
12-11-2007, 01:30 AM
Geez guys! #-o

People like that are generally called Trolls, oh King of the Ponies. :p

jeffus
12-11-2007, 02:02 AM
I'll hold the mirror for you, ponymaster.

Now that's irony - the dude with 9 posts with the 'my way is best' attitude gets defended....

His other highlights were: 1 hello post and 2 how to make money from home...

If there was maybe a smiley in there, I might have taken that a little nicer.

4 years pondering the plight of the SAHD, giving out free technical advice, discussing issues, even flying out to meet some of you.

I'M the dickhead here?!.....=;

Redwings
12-11-2007, 04:38 AM
I think the only time it's OK to spank a kid is when he/she does or is about to do something that can get him/her killed--like running onto the street into traffic.

After the kid is out of diapers, I think they are too old to spank. Other ways of discipline are called for. What spoils a kid is not lack of spanking, but a parent giving in to a child's tantrums.

I cringe at the thought of quoting Dr. Phil, but he has a good point about child rearing. All children have a favored "currency"--favorite food, toy, event, etc. Good behavior gets paid, bad behavior doesn't. The secret is a parent making expectations clear and not backing down.

jim
12-11-2007, 06:14 AM
I could be wrong but I think Woodchuck's comment was just a good old chain yank. I don't think he meant anything serious by it.

Indy
12-11-2007, 07:37 AM
When my kids get out of control, I just rack the shotgun. That seems to get their attention. [-X That's better than spanking, right?

(This is a joke. Please don't call CPS on me)

jim
12-11-2007, 12:53 PM
One word.

THUMBSCREWS. ;)

woodchuck
12-11-2007, 02:41 PM
I took Jeffus statement in such a way that he was referring to himself, in a lighthearted manner, based, really, on the last emoticon, the one that implies he kicked the nest and then just sauntered away like nothing happened.

Yes, my comment was just a good ol' elbow in the ribs type of humor, all it was ever meant to be. That it was taken in such a negative manner saddens me, and I do apologize.

Jeffus, you are a good guy, we all know that, now, can we just have enough beers to dilute the matter into the bowl and flush it away.

jeffus
12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I can accept that. chugchug:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program....:rolleyes:

silviomossa
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Yes, my comment was just a good ol' elbow in the ribs type of humor, all it was ever meant to be.

Ya'd think that since 90% of his eight million posts fall under the same category, he'd be okay with that? But noooooooooo. Crankiness really does come with age, doesn't it? :mad:

(And since it needs to be said.... just kidding! At 40, I'm older than most of the people here too.)

Ironcat
12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I smacked all my kids...
on the hand when they needed it, and yes even (gasp) on the bottom.

I am proud parent of 3 virgin teenagers on the honor roll.

goingrey
12-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Hey this is an open forum. you can post all your controversial opinions
....as long as they are the same as mine O:)

tt3
12-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Hey this is an open forum. you can post all your controversial opinions
....as long as they are the same as mine O:)

What makes it even more funny, you can post all your controversial opinions as long as they don't piss off the moderators and owner of the site! :lol: (Mostly the owner of the site, since he can take away our moderation powers. ;) )

jeffus
12-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Controversy is one thing and you're going to get it when you get more than a few people passing thru. It's unavoidable even in the best of times. That's fine. That's life.

It's the Post #1 = "Hi! I'm new". And post #2 = "This site needs an enema. You all suck." Followed-up with a few snappy remarks designed to incite a riot and then completely disappearing forever. Obviously, there were never any intentions on joining the community, just setting the village on fire and moving on. Not helpful.

Post away. Start all the controversial threads you want. Nobody's stopping you. If you value sharing ideas & thoughts with others and can frame that within the boundaries of respectable debate and discussion, go ahead.

Or, in other words...."Do Not Smack" :shock:

And use those emoticons! :rolleyes:

tt3
12-12-2007, 03:13 AM
Thats it Jeff, I'm going to delete all your posts and ...

Oh, I'm lauhgin to hard to complete the sentance.
I see exactly what you are saying, and you do so with more eloquence than I could.
"Do Not Smack" :lol:
bouncer:

goingrey
12-12-2007, 04:22 AM
I was mostly kidding, not really seeking an explanation. I usually think I'm way more funny than others do though....

Lucky for you all, I've stuck around after my forum grenades went off :heart:

AR Dad
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
It's the Post #1 = "Hi! I'm new". And post #2 = "This site needs an enema. You all suck." Followed-up with a few snappy remarks designed to incite a riot and then completely disappearing forever. Obviously, there were never any intentions on joining the community, just setting the village on fire and moving on. Not helpful.

That's a troll for ya.

PackerDad
12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Or, in other words...."Do Not Smack" :shock:

Sports threads being the exception, I hope.

Too many Bears fans to let go without a little smack talk and the subtle planting of the vision of a 5-11 record.

:devil:

jeffus
12-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Smack talk. You guys? I'm shocked! :shock:

Remington
12-26-2007, 06:12 PM
I paddle on the butt...

Smacking anywhere else is overkill and probably has adverse effects.

I need to stop paddling butts cause it will soon be illegal anyway...