PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on having house noise rules............

Porschephile
06-25-2007, 04:00 PM
With three kids in the house the noise level can pretty loud sometimes. Do you guys have any general real regarding how noisy you'll let your kids be espiecally when there younger cousin and brother are sleeping in my case. It just seems if I don't a specific rule for noise I'm gonna have a headache all day. I know Brendin has be able to sleep through noise but how much is acceptable. Just curious to your thoughts.

jim
06-25-2007, 04:44 PM
With my oldest we taught him to use an "inside" voice and we are also working on that with Bubbers. We also taught him that there were times when he could not play with certain toys in the house.

Teaching children that there are times when they need to keep the noise level down is about teaching them respect.

troy00690
06-25-2007, 04:51 PM
We have trouble with the 2 older boys. They like to wake up and rough house before anyone else wakes up. There room is right above out bedroom were the baby sleeps also. Sometimes it sounds like the roof is caving in they are so loud. A week ago they were being noisy. The punishment for that is that they don't get out of bed till there lilsister wakes up. A few days of that and they will be good. Another thing that I have tried is when the baby is napping and they can't seem to be quite I will put them on time out. one sits at the bottom of the steps and the other at the top. Not sure why but that is a very affective punishment for out kids.

woodchuck
06-25-2007, 05:40 PM
We have had various milestones of learning when to be quiet, or when to maintain a conversational volume level(indoors or out), and the kids have been pretty good about following along, but then we've lead by example since day one.

So, yes, we do have noise level controls in place, they are learning self-control concerning behavior.

If anyone is resting/sleeping/napping then it's quiet-time until the whole family is awake, good time for reading/puzzles and such.

chuck
06-25-2007, 08:14 PM
My wife sleeps all day, so my son has always been taught to be quite because mommy's sleeping, he does raise his voice from time to time and a reminder ussually gets him quite again, ussually if my wife wakes up it's from me telling him to be quite!

ministermatt
06-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Start quiet time. Kids need to be taught how to be quiet and sit still. Start with 2 or 3 minutes and work up to 1/2 hour. With 8 kids by 4pm this house gets rockin' during the summer and we have to take a break and be quiet. It is also helpful for times when you are out to eat, church or what ever time you need the kids to sit still and be quiet.