PDA

View Full Version : Social Networking

PatGlennon
11-14-2007, 04:01 PM
facebook, myspace, etc. Anyone really into them?

I have tried some but can't really get into them. Perhaps I am too old/not nerdy enough (tough task there).

I have accounts on both myspace and facebook, but rarely log onto either. When I do it's usually facebook.

probably just as well, I waste more than enough time on 'old fashioned' message boards. Don't need more online distractions

Hockeyfan
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I have a facebook one. I actually found a flatmate of mine that I lived with in London, England. So that was pretty cool. Also got up with hometown and college friends. Just scared of the past catching me. Old girlyfriends and such. All of a sudden I was a Dad. YIKES...haha JK of course...

QJ
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
I have a few MySpace accounts, one for me, Quirkee.com, and Quirkee Knowledge. Mostly just for marketing/advertising purposes. The same goes for the new cre8Buzz (http://beta.cre8buzz.com/) that's about to go public. Anybody who wants an invite let me know. I have 100's of them now that I'm on their BuzzBoard. The moms community there is kicking the dads community in the balls. It's a pretty cool site.

stretch
11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty geeky, but I think I'm too old for that stuff. Feels like hanging out in a college bar.

QJ
11-14-2007, 04:35 PM
:lol: it does feel like that sometimes. Did I hear that the average age on Facebook now is 35? I guess I should use my account there more...

PatGlennon
11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah, as I said facebook seems to be closer to my cupa. I don't doubt the average age figure. I guess that's why I keep trying to get into it. I guess I just need more real life friends :shock:

Myspace seems to be either a) way too young or 2) just marketing based (NTTAWWT)

I was hoping to find some local Stay At Home Dad stuff on facebook, but never mind local, I can't find any SAHD groups.

SteveH
11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I was going to say that I'm too old for most of those sites, but an average age of 35? Hmmmmm, might have to look into it. O:)

PackerDad
11-14-2007, 04:58 PM
I started a MySpace page just to keep in touch with a couple of online gaming friends after I quit playing. I log in once in a while, but it's more of a formality than anything anymore.

I prefer email or message boards like this over MySpace any day.

I will say that I like the music features on MySpace, I found some artists from this area that I never would have known existed otherwise.

North Country Dad
11-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Feels like hanging out in a college bar.

I agree.

QJ
11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I like the music features on MS, too, and have also found great bands that way.

The good thing about cre8Buzz is they are catering to the adults. I don't think I've seen but two profiles there with teenagers and one of those was a writer and the other a photog for her school paper.

Cubfan
11-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm pretty geeky, but I think I'm too old for that stuff. Feels like hanging out in a college bar.

copy that (except for the geeky part!). I'm a heavy poster on 2 forums (this one and a bbq forum). This is plenty of virtual socialization for me.

AR Dad
11-14-2007, 05:48 PM
None of that stuff for me. Too many weirdos. I get enough of that on the forums I belong to. :D

CTDon
11-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey, wait a minute.....Nah, he wasn't talking about us.

Was he? :wtf:

:jester:

None of that stuff for me. Too many weirdos. I get enough of that on the forums I belong to. :D

Riggs
11-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, if some of you guys are too old for it, that puts me way out there. I know practically nothing about those sites, but I suppose I should learn someday since my kids probably will be on eventually. But I prefer a forum style too. I heard someone (a psychologist in fact) here say the coming generation is pretty narcissistic with all the "me" sites. But he was old like me, what do we know? O:)

Cubfan
11-14-2007, 06:32 PM
I heard someone (a psychologist in fact) here say the coming generation is pretty narcissistic with all the "me" sites. But he was old like me, what do we know? O:)

That's interesting, because I've kind of thought of blogging to be a bit narcissistic. But the truth is I'm not interested in any blogs to read them and know what they are all about. So I shouldn't really make that assumption, should I? #-o Plus I felt like I was the only person NOT blogging so maybe I was missing the boat or something!

PatGlennon
11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I am a low self esteem narcissist. I have had my name as my domain for years, since around 2002. But nobody would want to come to my crappy little site. Used it as a site to share pictures and such with family for years. Just a few months ago I turned it into a blog since i hadn't updated the site in over 2 years. Blogging is just easier to go in and make a quick update to.

AR Dad
11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey, wait a minute.....Nah, he wasn't talking about us.

Was he? :wtf:

:jester:

No, no no. It's the OTHER forums I belong to that have the weirdos. :wink:

Don-Dad
11-14-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't really blog and I set up a myspace account and never used it. I just do not find myspace or facebook appealing.

I was just reading about a 16 year old girl who committed suicide because adults were pretending to be kids and were being nasty to this poor girl. Turned out to be parents down the street, friends of the family, who had a kid that had some sort of falling out. The girl had emotional problems but they drove her over the edge.

North Country Dad
11-14-2007, 06:57 PM
That's interesting, because I've kind of thought of blogging to be a bit narcissistic. But the truth is I'm not interested in any blogs to read them and know what they are all about. So I shouldn't really make that assumption, should I? #-o Plus I felt like I was the only person NOT blogging so maybe I was missing the boat or something!

Good points.

I got into blogging earlier this year, thinking it would help me feel a bit less isolated in being a SAHD. Like you, I also felt maybe I was missing out on something.

It has been an interesting experiment, but it quickly began to feel narcissistic. I had every intention of sharing dad-related info and news on a regular basis, but it descended into less and less frequent postings about me and the kids. In a way, it's not too different from having a MySpace, is it? #-o

I much prefer message boards like this, where there is a constant give and take all in one place.

Cubfan
11-14-2007, 07:33 PM
NCD - well I just checked out your blog for the first time (hey I'm giving them a shot!), nice photos. I see your interest in tropical fish. I've been thinking more and more about getting into that. My boy is simply fascinated with fish when we see them in the stores. So I might hit you up and see what you know at some point.

Hockeyfan
11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I can't get into blogging. Just not my thing. This site and posting here is almost a stretch, but it can be entertaining and enjoyable. I like the "guy" talk and sharing experience or lack there of. Honestly I wouldn't have time to blog like some of these people do. Just too much time involved.

Riggs
11-14-2007, 11:52 PM

Well, yea Cub, I wondered that about blogging, too. Didn't want to step on any toes, since a lot of guys on the forum do it. Maybe somebody can explain it better to me. Now if it was just for family, I could kinda see it. But I can't even see reading all my in-laws and cousins news regularly. One Christmas letter a year is about all I need. As you said NCD, at least there's a little back and forth with a forum like this.

AR Dad
11-14-2007, 11:57 PM
One Christmas letter a year is about all I need.

My wife used to drive herself insane trying to get the Christmas letter just right. Last year she finally took my stance in that the people that needed to be kept in the loop were already there. Now all people get is a card with a picture of the family on it.

stretch
12-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Well, I finally got browbeaten into checking out Facebook and I'll admit, it does not suck. Pretty simple and useful way of keeping up with far-flung friends and family if you ignore all the teeny-bopper bells and whistles and just stick to the core functionality. Actually kinda surprised how many of my middle-aged cohort were there already.

Now get off my lawn, turn down that music and go get a haircut. Damn kids.

PatGlennon
12-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Really been enjoying Cre8Buzz. Thanks James!