PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like crap right now......{rant}

spk
12-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Ugh.
My 3yo's been going to preschool for about 2 mos now and I've caught as many colds in that time, last one has been hanging on like a bugger....yesterday I woke up feeling like I had the flu, hot/cold, creepy tingling feeling all over my skin, body aches, general feel-like-I've-been-hit-by-a-truck feeling (do they call that ague?), my sinuses feel like I've been snorting Drano.
Dropped the kid off at PS and came straight home crashed on the couch. My mother called to let me know that my Grandmother died that morning, she was old (near 90) and suffered from Alzheimer's/dementia for several years, never recovered from my Grandfather's death in '03, had been in a home for a few years, last time I saw her was Jan of this year.
(There's more to the story, with her not wanting to give up the house, refused to wear her lifeline and got stuck in her bathtub for an entire weekend, my folks' decision to sell their house to buy a split-level so she could take the basement as an in-law apartment, then once the papers were passed she still refused to move, etc. but I'll leave it at that.)
So I got up and ate something then went to pick the kid up. Brought her home and put her down for a nap, I napped on the couch with her, wife came home early and took her to the store, I went upstairs to bed and slept until 10pm. Got up and took some more cold medicine and crashed back out at midnight until 7 this morning.
Fact of the matter is that this is really a great relief to my mum and her siblings, my GM could be quite nasty verbally, even accusing my mum of stealing money from my GF's life insurance. OTOH, she was everything you could dream of as a sweet, loving and generous Nana, and I always think of how sad it is to have spent your golden years in such a sorry condition.
My mum has already told us a hundred times that if she ever winds up like that we shouldn't think twice about putting her in a home. She's terrified that she may wind up being as much of an inconvenience to us as my GM was to her and my aunt and uncle. I don't know what to think of that. It's very easy to speak that way now, when those days seem so far off. But if the time comes will me and my sisters really have the nuts to do it? And if we do, how will we justify that to ourselves?
Anyway, thanks for listening. I gotta go take some TheraFlu and try to recover before the wake on Sunday (4-8pm; gonna miss the Pats game) and funeral on Monday...........

jeffus
12-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Sorry for your loss....:(.

Either way it ain't easy....hope you're feeling better too..

stretch
12-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Best wishes. When you're better, bring yourselves down here to check out the spiffy new indoor playground that's just opening up around the corner from us. www.playtownexpress.com

I've got some homebrew I need help with, too. ;)

CTDon
12-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Sorry for your loss, spk.

And as far as trying to put a parent in an assisted living facility, it's tough. We tried that with my dad, and it didn't go over too well. He was only 59 or 60, but he sustained an injury that made it VERY tough for him to live on his own. We relented and he ended up dying a year later, but he was on his own, the way he wanted it.

Anyway, like you said, thats far off, so don't bum yourself out about it now.

And Stretch, if you take the kids to that indoor joint, drop me a line. We'll meet you there.

athomedad
12-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Sorry for you loss spk.

I had to put my mom in a nursing home about 2 1/2 years ago. It was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make. I took care of her for several years but as my kids got older, I found it more difficult. She also suffers from dementia.
I try to visit her twice a week, she's just in Tewksbury.
I can understand your feelings of guilt when and if the time comes that you'll have to put your mom in a home. I was wracked with guilt for a long time but she's where she needs to be and she is being well taken care of. I have no regrets now that I made the right decision.
I hope you feel better. Drop me a PM sometime and we'll meet for coffee.