PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft by our house.

MADDOX626
09-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Today we have the NJ State police doing training on helicopters in the woods across the street from us. There is about a 2 mile stretch of woods across the street from our house that they fly in when training. Today I took my son out front to watch them, the were flying at maybe 100 feet. He stopped and waved at the helicopter and they stopped, hovered, and waved back to him. He got such a kick out of it.

We also live in the landing path of a military airport in De. We get KC 135's, C130's, CH 53 helicopters, CH 47 Chinook's (they fly training missions 3 times a week and go over my house between 1100 am and noon).

Were I fish in Ocean City NJ we get fighter jets flying over the back bays of NJ. It is awesome to hear some F16's and then they fly by at high speed. They fly in formations, or just chase each other over the ocean.

After 9/11 the jets would run loops between NYC, PHL, and DC. That was neat to them flying overhead a 300+ mph.

Do you have anything cool around your house?

Captain Dad
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
me.

Phosphor Dot Daddy
09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Apparently, as far removed as it is from the airports in the cities half an hour to the north and south, my house is in someone's approach pattern, because at least once a week something flies overhead pretty low and pretty fast. Scares the bejeezus out of kid and cats alike - it does take some getting used to, and we didn't have that the first couple of years that we lived here. :eusa_think: I still have yet to see what it is that's flying over, though I'm guessing it's a passenger jet, maybe even a small one.

Mark B.
09-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I love watching Military aircraft flying. We get occasion activity but not as much as we had in ATL. Everyone of those KC-135's you see Maddox has my fingerprints in them as does every B-2 bomber. I used to work on the fuel management computers on both of them back in the day. Very cool stuff.

wolfmanyoda
09-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I miss that, when I was a kid almost daily we had fighters flying over our house, rattling widows.
All we have now is a small airport a couple of miles away, kids like to see the planes take off and land, but it's just not as cool.

Hockeyfan
09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
It's called http://www.bragg.army.mil/

Get some! There are a few other air force bases around too where you will see CONSTANT fighter jets in and out of the base. Pretty cool to watch. Here we see Apache Helicopters quite often flying over the house and area. While golfing we had about 20-30 of them fly by one day. It was pretty cool. They are scary looking mofos. Also some of large ones fly by. Not sure what they are called. In Wilmington last summer I saw an Osprey in the air. That one with the dual rotating props. Its sick looking in the air. I have pics of it as I was driving. South of here I used to do some work (near Rockingham, NC...home of Bucky Covington) and would see the C130s I think they are. The tank busters "warthogs". They would fly by and stuff. Also would see the large cargo plane ones with the paratroupers in them getting ready to jump at low elevations. We never got to see them jump as they would do that just beyond where we could see.

I've still never seen a stealth plane. That would rock!

jeffus
09-18-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm by McQuire AFB (http://public.mcguire.amc.af.mil/), Lakehurst NAES (http://www.lakehurst.navy.mil/nlweb/), and Fort Dix (http://www.dix.army.mil/)so yes! Lot's of the big stuff and helicopters too. Not too many fighters, sadly. Sometimes the house shakes during the live-fire exercises at Dix.

chuck
09-18-2008, 02:33 PM
we are in the same boat as maddox, in the immediate area, we have, McGuire Air force base, Fort Dix Army, Lakehurst Navy, earl ammunition dump, thats all within 50 miles, never mind the nuke plant right down the street,Atlantic city, Washington, NY and Phil all about the same distance from here.
Heck if I were a terrorist or the Russians and wanted the most collateral damage right here is the place to strike.
but to get back to the original question, yes we have military everything on the roads, in the air, at sea, we are well patrolled and guarded :-) Heck I can even take my cub scouts to the local armory and they get to play with M-16's gotta love it!

Bjorn74
09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
We live on the flight path and the express traffic route for the trauma hospital in our area. We see a lot of ambulances, fire trucks and lifeflight helicopters. They seem to have a calming effect on our 4 month old son.

Cubfan
09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
not cool to me, an annoyance actually but down the main road here there is a quarry pit. And G1 just absolutely loves all the trucks coming and going.

fondestpie
09-18-2008, 03:09 PM
I've still never seen a stealth plane. That would rock!

Kinda the point no?
Tulsa aeronautics and flight musuem is pretty cool plus we have alot of propplane and old school bi-planes that fly around dragonfly helios that sort of thing. Military we see is usually Cargo.

MADDOX626
09-18-2008, 03:10 PM
I love watching Military aircraft flying. We get occasion activity but not as much as we had in ATL. Everyone of those KC-135's you see Maddox has my fingerprints in them as does every B-2 bomber. I used to work on the fuel management computers on both of them back in the day. Very cool stuff.

Great now every time I hear one coming I have to grab the kid and run. Does homeowners cover planes hitting your house?

Cubfan
09-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Saw a stealth this summer at an airshow over the Mississippi River, it was pretty cool indeed.

DarthDaddy
09-18-2008, 03:42 PM
We are also in the direst flight path of the "Flight For Life" Choppers... We are between hospitals as well so they taxi stuff back and forth between here and Milwaukee...

Just about everyday one is flying low...

12 years ago at our old Townhouse he FFL Chopper landed on the road a block from our unit... I was LATE and really cool to see...

Also each summer we get TONS of cool planes flying from the South West to Oshkosh WI for the Air show...

We also live down the street from the Volo Auto Museum and they are always having car events... All summer we see TONS of cool cars...

woodchuck
09-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Lived in the flight path of an international airport, and within two miles of it, hmmmm....cool...no efn way man. Raw fuel has etched the glass on the windows, siding, roof, permanent stains. So LOUD that no stereo can compete, windows that get cracked from the passenger jets using the engines as brakes, can't hear your own thoughts, much less anything else.

Now, a plane resembles a weed whacker in the far distance.

Planes, trains, and automobiles.....you can have it, I prefer my sanity and my hearing to remain intact.

bunky
09-18-2008, 05:55 PM
:icon_lol:Not where we are currently living but when we were stationed in Virginia Beach , Va near Oceana Naval Air Station we got to see and hear the fighters all the time. We rented a condo that was 1/2 mile from the Beach front and from the parking area when the planes were landing or doing touch and go's you could almost see the pilots faces they were so low.

Funny thing is that all the (RICH FOLKS) who bought houses in the area were always complaining about the noise and were actually trying to get the base closed. That base was there WAY before those house's were there built and when some of my neighbors were out and would come up and complain /or want us to sign a petition I would simply tell them that's the sound of FREEDOM !!!! Why would you want to stop that?....they would usually walk away in disgust....I loved it....more noise !!!!!!.:pint:

woodchuck
09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
On soapbox.....

Harley riders that are too stupid to consider other peoples, and especially childrens ears, that crack the throttles at a red light or in traffic. More than a peeve, its just ignorant, inconsiderate behavior.

Noise from planes to protect an infants ears was just one reason for moving out into the country. I really do feel for those that have to parent around such an area.

Yes, sometimes homes come after a noisy area, and sometimes, homes are there first, but business and money usually win regardless of consequences.

Off soapbox....

Back to the original thread topic.

Hockeyfan
09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes bikers suck when they do that. It's lame.

Va Beach is pretty cool. Lots of jets ripping around there. Been there a few times and usually see them in the sky. It's wicked seeing fighter jets pass.

My best experience was in Northern Ontario, when my old man and I were camping along the French River. It's beautiful up there. Anyways, two jets came flying along the river, within a couple of hundred feet (maybe 100...I forget), and they were following the river. It was a cool sight. I know, I know..What? Was that the only two jets in the Canadian arsenal? Haha.

Remember this badboy? First jet to reach MACH 2 and beyond. Where was it made? Canada baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWuZtk8uPP0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af5NOLdQJkg

MADDOX626
09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
The Canadian Air Force is not as big as a joke compared to the Canadian Navy.

Hockeyfan
09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8-CCMVHpg

What were you saying?

chuck
09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
The Canadian Air Force is not as big as a joke compared to the Canadian Navy.

no,no you havent seen any thing untill you've checked out the canadian coast gaurd, I was on a ship that got boarded by them my grandmother is more fersom! And they were the drug team:icon_lol: (oh ya don't ask any questions about why they were on my boat:eusa_whistle: )

Hockeyfan
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Our Coast Guard has fired shots at an American vessel to protect the sovereignty of our waters. Without hesitation son.

Mark B.
09-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Does homeowners cover planes hitting your house?

Probably, but don't try to claim your inflatable Philly Fanatic doll with life like hair.

fondestpie
09-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Probably, but don't try to claim your inflatable Philly Fanatic doll with life like hair.

dont you mean Feely doll:tits: with life like hair

jeffus
09-19-2008, 02:08 AM
Our Coast Guard has fired shots at an American vessel to protect the sovereignty of our waters. Without hesitation son.

Yeah, those were some pretty tense times....:crazy:

Hockeyfan
09-19-2008, 03:02 AM
:icon_lol:

Kwak
09-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Every so often I see a pair of C-130s flying around in formation. There's also a KC-135 detachment nearby IIRC.

BTW, I used to love flying into Philly back when the Navy base was still operational. As a Navy vet and former carrier sailor I loved looking down at the flat tops in drydock. My old ship was also there for a time while in mothballs: the Forrestal

*sigh* I miss seeing the F-14 Tomcats, A-6E Intruders and A-7 Corsairs every day during flight ops. Those days are long gone. I saw my last Tomcat flyby while wading in the surf while on vacation in Virginia Beach a couple of years ago.