PDA

View Full Version : Question

Kids Galore
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
So, my wife and I went to Las Vegas this past week and had a great time.....On Tuesday my wife got a call that a close friend had killed him self on Monday night. He had a history of alcohol problems and was depressed. It was quite a shock and he left behind his wife 2 1/2 year old daughter and 5 month old son. Now, I was really sad that he was gone and left behind his family, I was angry that he could do that to his kids....I do not respect him at all and feel so sad for his kids.

Now, some of you know that I was a SAHD for 3 years and went back to work a few years ago and I am now a officer of the law.....I have been questioning if it is worth it....Putting my life on the line everyday and if something happens then I would be leaving my kids without a dad.....Since this has happened I have been thinking of open my own daycare. In doing so, I would be able to help out those kids that were left behind and I think it wouold be fun.....I just don't know if that is a good idea....I love my job now and love what I am doing, but a friend of mine was hit and broke his neck in two places, a broken rib and was out of work the whole summer....So, is it really worth it?? My wife says go for it....But I am not sure....Any feedback???

jeffb
09-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Sorry to hear about this. It is very sad.

If you are passionate about it opening a daycare, go for it!!

North Country Dad
09-20-2008, 01:17 PM
A good friend of mine is a daycare director. It's a lot of work, but she loves it. I read about a woman who opened up a 24/7 daycare to appeal to parents who work at night. Depending on where you are, you could offer some sort of niche such as that. Are you thinking of doing this out of your home or at another site? There's a lot to look into, but it's certainly worth it to at least check it out.

We had dinner with a police officer a few weeks ago. He's childless, but talked about the creeps he works with all the time, and I thought, "No way could I do that." I give so much credit to those who do.

Maybe this dad's suicide is a reminder to enjoy every minute with your kids, or maybe it should be taken as a sign to make a major change in your life. Only you know. Best wishes.

Patrickz
09-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Life is short and can be taken away at an instant so do what you feel. You only have one life and make the best of it. You are taking a risk in your job but all jobs have risks to some extent but you can minimize those risks by not being complacent and staying active in danger identification. Never ever let your guard down!!
Day care would be fun and you could work with kids and that is a very noble profession. Down side is dealing with parents I hear...:icon_lol:

Kids Galore
09-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the replys......I would look into opening it at my house....And I never thought about the night thing.....And yes spend the most time with your kids!! Life is short......Thanks for all the replys again!!!

fondestpie
09-20-2008, 05:10 PM
I have worked in medicine for 15 years now started as a 18 year old Emt in the city of houston and am currently workpart time as a respiratory therapist in an adlut ICU. I heve seen many people die in my time and have held many hands as they go off. To this day i have never heard any ask for their coworkers or bosses. It would seem to me that maybe the powers that be are sending you a message. I cant say as i am not particularly religous. However I can say that i work to live not live to work.

As for the friend that comitted suicide, nothing is more cowardly in my eyes. what an absoult travesty for this family a child growing up without a father because of an irreversible act of selfishness.

Our motto is Stubblefields first fuck the world

Porschephile
09-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I think it's a great idea, go for it.

Kids Galore
09-20-2008, 05:32 PM
It would seem to me that maybe the powers that be are sending you a message. I cant say as i am not particularly religous.

What do you mean???

However I can say that i work to live not live to work.

I am the same way....A job is a job and my family will be there the rest of my life.....I will quit a job in a heartbeat if it comes between my family and me!

As for the friend that comitted suicide, nothing is more cowardly in my eyes. what an absoult travesty for this family a child growing up without a father because of an irreversible act of selfishness.

I agree....Life is not that bad....And if it is work through it and be there for your kids....His wife is very strong and can make it through it...but the kids are kids and they will never know there father!!!

fondestpie
09-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Quit your law enforcement job a dead hero is no good to his children. The daycare sound exciting enough to me you will still get to chase people going to fast and catch lires in the act. theiving of toys and candy. Could be alot of fun

Kids Galore
09-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Quit your law enforcement job a dead hero is no good to his children. The daycare sound exciting enough to me you will still get to chase people going to fast and catch lires in the act. theiving of toys and candy. Could be alot of fun

Yeah I guess you are right.....!! The penal system is just a little differnt!

Oh and I just found out that the wife is going to be 1200 short a month....So, child daycare is looking good right now!!

Hockeyfan
09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah I guess you are right.....!! The penal system is just a little differnt!

Oh and I just found out that the wife is going to be 1200 short a month....So, child daycare is looking good right now!!

1200 short! You mean in dollars to pay all the bills and crap? Start thinking about your finances. Cut out hockey tickets, lower your internet capabilities, buy at Walmart, buy a smaller house, or whatever. That's scary man. i think everyone would agree that what you do is very honourable and is a great thing for society, but if your not up for the task a, then by all means get out. Your always one bad traffic stop away from leaving a widow. That's hard man. Especially with kids. Do security or something. Do the daycare thing. You should pass background checks eh....

wolfmanyoda
09-21-2008, 12:11 AM
I couldn't do a job like yours with a wife and 5 kids, the risk is just too great.
If you're serious about the daycare thing take some time first to learn about what you'll need to take care of around the house to make it legit. Not only a license, but you may have to worry about fencing, how many kids you take on based on your square feet of house, # of bathrooms, etc. Hell, I don't know how that works but I'm sure there will be a few hurdles to jump.

Riggs
09-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Since you asked the question here, I'm sure you figured there'd be a lot of responses to do daycare. If you asked on a law enforcement forum, I'm guessing it'd be different. If we didn't have any dads in law enforcement, could be a problem. I'd pick the daycare, but that's just me, I didn't put the work in to get into State Patrol. It's cool that you want to be there for those kids, they'll need some help. I'm sure it'd be good to wait a few weeks to decide, good luck!

MrBean
09-21-2008, 07:02 AM
My advice is to really take the time to think about it, as well as discuss it with the wife. If you think you are leaning toward it, look into what you would need to be able to use your house as a daycare (permits, fencing, kid to parent ratio...).

It's a lot of work, so be sure you fully know what you would be getting into.

And sorry for the friend and her kids. It's a shame really.

Kids Galore
09-21-2008, 01:08 PM
1200 short! You mean in dollars to pay all the bills and crap? Start thinking about your finances. Cut out hockey tickets, lower your internet capabilities, buy at Walmart, buy a smaller house, or whatever. That's scary man. i think everyone would agree that what you do is very honourable and is a great thing for society, but if your not up for the task a, then by all means get out. Your always one bad traffic stop away from leaving a widow. That's hard man. Especially with kids. Do security or something. Do the daycare thing. You should pass background checks eh....

I am not 1200 short.....The wife of the friend of mine that killed himself.....My wife would not let us get to be 1200 short!!!