Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   New to Site - Just Saying Hello (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hello from Orange County, CA (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=13012)

OCdad 10-24-2011 05:57 PM

Hello from Orange County, CA

Hi everyone,

I can't believe I just found this web site, after 14 years as a stay at home dad something like this shows up. I live and do what I do in Orange County, CA.

Any other stay at home dads in Orange County?

It appears from all the various topics I've read over the years there is one general theme that exists as a stay at home dad, we are terribly discriminated against in many ways and way under represented in main stream society through the media.

Mark B. 10-24-2011 06:14 PM

Hi! A poll on the first post! That is a first. How many kids and how old are they? (:eusa_liar:?)

Hockeyfan 10-24-2011 07:20 PM

Welcome. I've gone 6 years on the job and never had an issue. I've seen plenty of idiotic women do some pretty stupid things though. LOL.

feedthemachine 10-24-2011 07:49 PM

Welcome aboard ,I've been home since June of '06,glad you found the site...
I used to only get BS from other guys,,never woman..They are almost always very nice:icon_wink:

Kwak 10-24-2011 08:01 PM

Welcome! I've been at this for 7 years now and only noticed that the first couple of years. After that I stopped caring about what others thought, mostly because other things started getting us weird looks.:eusa_whistle:

Bjorn74 10-24-2011 08:05 PM

Welcome to the site.

People in OC look at you strange if you're driving a domestic vehicle, don't they?

You've brought back memories of three trips to Irvine. One of those trips had me camped out in Fashion Island's Marriott for two weeks.

gduck 10-24-2011 08:47 PM

Welcome to the site! My wife is originally from Orange County and has family still there.

I've had some weird looks from the occasional person about being a stay at home dad. One of the parental get together kind of groups which was all stay at home moms were excellent at giving the cold shoulder and doing everything they could to make me feel unwelcome without actually saying anything. But hey, I got over it because they are in the minority. I know a lot of people who wish they got to stay home and watch their little ones grow up!

Electriclime 10-25-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan (Post 238921)
I've seen plenty of idiotic women do some pretty stupid things though. LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feedthemachine (Post 238923)
I used to only get BS from other guys,,never woman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gduck (Post 238929)
...groups which was all stay at home moms were excellent at giving the cold shoulder...

Welcome aboard! I'd agree with these things. Generally moms are nice, but the ones that travel in little groups can be high school clique-ish and don't want a man near their conversations (gossip sessions). The only crap I've even gotten was from guys, especially older gents, who can't understand why you'd want to raise you own children. On the flip side I've had guys say they wish they could have done so.

Captain Tuttle 10-25-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electriclime (Post 238943)
Welcome aboard! I'd agree with these things. Generally moms are nice, but the ones that travel in little groups can be high school clique-ish and don't want a man near their conversations (gossip sessions). The only crap I've even gotten was from guys, especially older gents, who can't understand why you'd want to raise you own children. On the flip side I've had guys say they wish they could have done so.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Why is the first answer to your poll "Yes or No"? :icon_lol:

Welcome to the site

57plymouth 10-26-2011 01:18 AM

Welcome!

I get some sort of silly comment all the time. I've developed quite a repetiore of cunning retorts.