Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   Daddy Inc. - Work From Home (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How many dads in the forums work from home? (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=1257)

justinpowell 09-19-2005 12:41 AM

How many dads in the forums work from home?

I'm a WAHD and was wondering how many dads in the forums work from home.

If so, what do you do? I'm a web designer and Internet marketing consultant.

How many kids do you have? I have twin 3 1/2-year-old boys.

What are your secrets to success? Loving wife and nursery school!!!

mrandjr 09-29-2005 01:15 PM

I work from home. My son is 18 months.

I run a toys and collectibles business online. The business has grown steadily and we are looking into establishing a physical storfront when the little guy starts school in 2-3 years.

It has been difficult at times but being able to spend this much time makes it all worth while!

Dave-IL 09-30-2005 02:41 AM

I also work at home as a in-house webmaster and internet marketer for a toner supply store and printer hardware. I also architected the back end order processor system for them before I started working from home so they could lower costs by automating 99% of the process.

Though I have been looking for another product line to work on my own independtly but it is always hard to find good suppliers.

At the moment I have a 3 year old that is running around, and we are expecting a second one in Jan.

Since most of my work is project based I am able to schedule time to do things with Elizabeth around doing work. And when I am busy she is pretty good about being on her own in her room and letting me take care of business ;)

Dave

Don-Dad 09-30-2005 02:54 AM

I do some web design and alot of internet type marketing of retailers goods and services. I act as a middle man, it's called affiliate marketing but it's way too hard to break into unless you have a great source of unique content, I started over 7 years ago and took 4 years before I started making real money. Not doing so good right now. Might explore drop shipping, opening my own online store front.

DarthDaddy 09-30-2005 01:39 PM

I also work from home. I am Director of Quality Control for a web based Mortgage Software Co. I Test and Test and Retest and Proof Read and Proof Read and Proof read Again....

Since I work on proofing and testing I can do it when ever. Any deadline is no problem because the main office is in California and I am in Illinois. 2 hours makes all the differance.

I have two boys 5 Year old and a 1 Year old with Baby Due in May.

I tend to do the bulk of my work in the evenings after the 1 year old is in bed and when he naps or is playing with the 5 year old. I have a LARGE family room of my office so I can be right there without actually being right there. Child Proofed and Baby Gated....

Darth-Daddy

Jackson's Dad 09-30-2005 11:07 PM

I'm a photographer so I work from my home studio. I also run my own business, which sells prints based on my photos (see my sig).

tt3 10-01-2005 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis
i run a small consulting business on the side. Haven't done much this year at all but It's there to power up when I would like to. Since Jim turned one he's been a bit more demanding so I haven't had the time to go out an drum up buisness.

And you think once he turns 2 it'll be all down hill right?!? :lol:

justinpowell 10-03-2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis
i run a small consulting business on the side. Haven't done much this year at all but It's there to power up when I would like to. Since Jim turned one he's been a bit more demanding so I haven't had the time to go out an drum up buisness.

And you think once he turns 2 it'll be all down hill right?!? :lol:

I have 3-year-old twin boys and I can vouch that it doesn't go down hill at 2 (or 3), it's just different! My boys are great, and they go to nursery school 3 half-days a week, which is my biggest block of time to get things done. Then, I fit in work wherever else I can.

Of course, the flip side is that being a WAHD offers great flexibility for doing things with the family, like playing hooky from work and taking the boys to the park.

Ma(tt)Daddy 10-04-2005 01:14 PM

I am a theatre director and writer and a brand new SAHD with a 3 month old and I'm still, actually, trying to figure out how to make it all work!! I have two shows coming up; one in December and one in April, and, truth be told, I'm a little anxious becasue a lot of my preparation time has been usurped, of course, by our little guy . . .

(Funny how I had this pre-labor, green-eared romantic vision of my son and I co-existing happily; he in his little chair on the foor in my study, quietly and happily watching me work . . . Reality, of course, has since reared it's laughing head . . .)

I've also been writing a play and a few poems that have been put on hold, and the longer they stay dormant, the harder it becomes to actually finish them . . .

It's a new adventure, a new life, fer sure!

:!: :!: :!: :!:

Matt

Bollux 10-05-2005 04:49 AM

Congratz on the little one Matt.

As for working at home, I dont have that luxury. But I am a teacher of a music program for infants from 6 months to 5 years. I recently started it as it works around my girlfriends schedule.

I also debating starting my own business selling spice mixes and all as I enjoy cooking and come up with new ideas all the time. I just wouldn't know where to start or get the client base. =(