Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   DIY Dads (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Soooo...what did YOU do today? (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=14162)

GBDad 03-04-2016 08:35 PM

Next weekend I'm hoping to get the base shoe installed in our living room since they installed our new floor. They wanted almost $1000 to do quarter-round at the time they did the floor. I can do it for $50 in material at Home Depot. Just have to convince the wife that the stain I found is a close enough match to our existing wood color. They can get quarter-round to match the floor. Or they have a guy who can match/mix stain to our current wood. I didn't even want to ask what that would cost. Of course he won't just sell you the stain. Stain, lumber, and labor deal with him. No thanks! Quarter-round would probably amount to half the price of the floor.

irie feeling 03-05-2016 02:50 AM

Yeah, yeah. That's the ticket, quarter round.

Mark B. 03-05-2016 03:17 PM

GBDad, my quarter round is painted the same color as the baseboard which is white. Just another option.

tt3 03-07-2016 03:35 AM

The 1/4rd in our kitchen matches the flooring, unfortunately the doofus's who put it in didn't take out the dark base board... it looks hilarious in a sad kind of lazy contractor way. I'll post a picture someday before we rip it out.

Today I replaced the locking mechanism on the hatch of our yukon and replaced the rear window regulator (the thing that raises the glass up and down) in my wife's car. Only minor blood lost, so job well done! :P Oh, our trees are also pouring out sap, so I'll be boiling sap soon, too! Why? Why not?!?

irie feeling 03-08-2016 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark B. (Post 287300)
GBDad, my quarter round is painted the same color as the baseboard which is white. Just another option.

Same here, matches baseboard, white.

GBDad 03-21-2016 01:40 PM

I got my floor trim/quarter round done last weekend as intended. Wife was skeptical until we had someone over this weekend and they asked where we got the stain matched/mixed since it "matches so well." Now that someone else said it looks good, it's okay.

On to the next thing. I installed a high arching Moen kitchen faucet a couple of years ago. The original faucet we had was so low it was virtually useless for washing dishes. "Moen: Buy it for looks. Buy it for life." Or about two years as it turns out. It has started to leak like crazy at the handle last week. Did some research and there is a "cartridge" in the handle that mixes the hot and cold water to get your desired temperature that I guess goes out ever 2-3 years. Supposed to be a $20 replacement part and a 15 minute job at most. We'll see. Usually my 15 minute projects turn into all day affairs.

GBDad 03-21-2016 08:28 PM

The faucet went a lot better than I thought. I'm extremely skeptical when they say "installs in minutes," however, it actually did. One allen nut, a quick spin with a socket wrench, out it comes. Reverse steps for the new one. No more leak!

tt3 03-21-2016 09:29 PM

It's awesome when it goes that well. I replaced the window upper downer thing in our spare car this weekend and took out the starter in the truck. Replacement is coming Friday. Our last batch of syrup is going to be boiled tonight, too, probably.

irie feeling 03-21-2016 11:36 PM

Mmmm syrup.

Kwak 03-22-2016 02:34 AM

I'm slipping. This past week I:

- replaced the wimpy eco-flush downstairs toilet with an American Standard Cadet 3 toilet. This is the 6th toilet I've replaced in the past 5 years. I'm almost ashamed at how easy it's gotten, but the American Standard toilets are really top notch IMO and come with all the things you need to install the toilet. The only things I paid extra for were a no slam toilet seat and a reusable green foam seal.

- rescued some jewelry out of my wife's bathroom sink. In the process I freed a pony tail of gunky wife hair. A lesser man would have lost his lunch at that.

- unclogged the downstairs bathroom sink. The plug is MIA so all kinds of nastiness was stuck in the gooseneck.

- unclogged the sink in the upstairs hallway bathroom. Again the plug is MIA so something got stuck in there. When I removed the gooseneck I discovered a child's crayola brand toothbrush had been stuffed all the way down.

- the big one was that I fixed this table twice:

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps8vhflkn2.jpg

The corner blocks that support the legs are solid wood and this table was made in Vietnam so they used some sort of solid wood burl that sheared off along the grain line. My wife bought me a cheap chop saw last year as a gift and I had a 3/4" mahogany board laying around so I replaced the block and the table is good for now, though a third block is likely to split if the table takes another tumble.