Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (
-   DIY Dads (
-   -   Soooo...what did YOU do today? (

Kwak 03-22-2016 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 287006)
I'll start with my accomplishments this month:

- finished priming the two story foyer. Now it's all one color and if you squint you can't see my ineptitude with drywall patches. Worse though are the errant roller marks on the ceiling and crown molding.

- I spot patches many dings and chips in the gypsum downstairs. Live and learn: having a palm sander is soooo worth having because hand sanding spackle SUCKS.

- I replaced 5 receptacles in the family room and living room. I still have 3 to go. In my defense my fusebox was not labeled so I have had to shut off the master switch so I don't fry what brain cells I have left.

- I went to Home Depot and got some paint swatches for the living room. The paint had faded over a decade of neglect and the walls were pitted from many items being thrown against them. I decided on an acceptable color - which is not a perfect match but is close enough while also being more vibrant if I do say so myself. I painted one wall but have two yet to go the fourth wall is a comprised of shelving.

- two celluloid cloth window blinds were damaged a long time ago. I bought cordless replacements which were almost literally a snap to install.

- at the wife's request I purchased a new bed/bath doorknob. I opted to purchase one in an antiques brushed bronze color instead of the gold plated finish that are prevalent throughout our home. Not only do I hate the gold, but the finish chips easily - not to mention that Justin bites them when he's angry. I took the golden knob that was installed along with a new solid core door to Justin's room and used it to replace the worn knob in the upstairs hall bathroom I put the new knob on Justin's bedroom door. Hopefully the finish - and the enamel on his teeth - holds up.

Forgot to mention that I finished the three walls in the formal living room which serves as the play room:

The chairs are toast though unless I can somehow reupholster them myself.

TwoCubs 03-22-2016 11:07 AM

Nice color. Looks good, Kwak.

TwoCubs 04-05-2016 11:20 AM

The week before Easter, my dad and I felled 2 poplars and 4 small oaks. No more tree leaves in the gutters or at least no more massive deposits of tree leaves and twigs in the gutters. I'm still cleaning-up the debris but should have it done today.

Mark B. 04-05-2016 12:18 PM

Plan to change a Kohler shower body cartridge and pressure valve. Only getting cold water in the kids bath shower.

irie feeling 04-05-2016 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mark B. (Post 287800)
Plan to change a Kohler shower body cartridge and pressure valve. Only getting cold water in the kids bath shower.

irie feeling 04-05-2016 12:35 PM

Homeschool girl scout troop cookie sale at the grocery store today. The dog and I, we are the muscle.

gduck 04-05-2016 03:07 PM

One of the kids didn't close their door on the wife's car all the way so the battery died. While charging that back up I decided to check/replace fluids on the car. If I had a place where I would be able to have it so that I could get under the car I probably would have changed the oil too. Been to cooped up lately.

Mark B. 04-05-2016 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by irie feeling (Post 287805)

Piece if cake. It was not the valve itself but the mixing module which controls the blend of hot and cold water. When I took it out I found 2 pieces of copper flakes inside. Both flat and about the size of a pea. I though that was the issue and reassembled the unit thinking I got off cheap. Not so lucky. Took everything apart again and found I could not blow air through one side so there was clog/damage. $50 at the plumbing supply and all is good to go.

Kwak 04-05-2016 04:34 PM

Spackling the drywall patch I cut to size and placed yesterday. I'm debating about hitting it with the heat gun. I really hate working with this $#!t but the regular stuff is just as sticky and takes FOREVER to dry. That's if you're in a rush like me, otherwise you have to apply at least 2-3 coats THEN sand it, which is just as messy. It's days like this I wish I lived in a house made of clay.

Mark B. 04-05-2016 04:59 PM

Kwak, switch to bondo! Seriously, You could put a fan near it to speed up drying.