Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   DIY Dads (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Soooo...what did YOU do today? (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=14162)

Kwak 02-12-2016 10:18 PM

Soooo...what did YOU do today?

Admit it - after a long day off wiping tushies and nosies, doing dishes, cutting crust off PBJ sandwiches, kissing owies, etc. etc. and still finding time to try and remember what adult interaction was like before you got labeled as a "Mr. Mom" when your wife comes home and flops down on the couch you have to fight starting the argument that is supposed to be squelched when she utters the line in the title of this thread.

Well, here's your chance to toot your own horn to somebody else who appreciates it, namely you brother in arms who are going through similar trials. So put out every little home improvement thing that you personally did with your own two hands. Hiring a contractor doesn't count - that's just showing off!

Kwak 02-12-2016 10:46 PM

I'll start with my accomplishments this month:

- finished priming the two story foyer. Now it's all one color and if you squint you can't see my ineptitude with drywall patches. Worse though are the errant roller marks on the ceiling and crown molding.

- I spot patches many dings and chips in the gypsum downstairs. Live and learn: having a palm sander is soooo worth having because hand sanding spackle SUCKS.

- I replaced 5 receptacles in the family room and living room. I still have 3 to go. In my defense my fusebox was not labeled so I have had to shut off the master switch so I don't fry what brain cells I have left.

- I went to Home Depot and got some paint swatches for the living room. The paint had faded over a decade of neglect and the walls were pitted from many items being thrown against them. I decided on an acceptable color - which is not a perfect match but is close enough while also being more vibrant if I do say so myself. I painted one wall but have two yet to go the fourth wall is a comprised of shelving.

- two celluloid cloth window blinds were damaged a long time ago. I bought cordless replacements which were almost literally a snap to install.

- at the wife's request I purchased a new bed/bath doorknob. I opted to purchase one in an antiques brushed bronze color instead of the gold plated finish that are prevalent throughout our home. Not only do I hate the gold, but the finish chips easily - not to mention that Justin bites them when he's angry. I took the golden knob that was installed along with a new solid core door to Justin's room and used it to replace the worn knob in the upstairs hall bathroom I put the new knob on Justin's bedroom door. Hopefully the finish - and the enamel on his teeth - holds up.

TwoCubs 02-13-2016 12:37 AM

Kwak, thank you. I have to admit that I have become quite the introvert since having kids and leaving work to stay home. No one else seems to understand how big an accomplishment it is to do something not related to housework in the few hours the kids are at school/napping/not-napping. It is a BFD, to me, when I can accomplish something not related to childcare or housework.

Excellent idea.

TwoCubs 02-13-2016 12:48 AM

I've never brazed aluminum before. I bought ten feet of 1" aluminum angle and made a 20"X30" bracket to hold 4" deep filters for my HVAC return. Just a Mapp gas torch, a vise, aluminum brazing rods, and freshly brushed aluminum. I finished sealing it today with some silicone (after firring-up the box) and will install a new 4" filter, after all of the silicone dries, tomorrow.

irie feeling 02-13-2016 01:47 PM

You guys stay at home dads or stay at home contractors?
I changed a light bulb last week.

TwoCubs 02-13-2016 04:50 PM

Hey, so long as you didn't wind-up in the ER trying to explain why you were naked doing it.

Kwak 02-13-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irie feeling (Post 287017)
You guys stay at home dads or stay at home contractors?
I changed a light bulb last week.

I changed SIX yesterday - in a chandelier no less. I'm Polish and had no backup do that's a major accomplishment. I had to get up a ladder and hop up and down to turn it. I'm lucky I didn't hang myself!

Kwak 02-14-2016 01:04 AM

Seriously, though - when I think about how I was able to hang a ceiling fan all on my own in our master bedroom which has a vaulted ceiling I think I'm justified in patting myself on the back.

You guys remember my crapper kluge from a couple years ago too, right?

By the way, I just talked to my FIL and he had a great idea about how to keep Justin from opening up the double hung windows: wood screws drilled only part way through the frame and in the wall stud so that they act as stops. It's so simple it's ingenious since this is how the window frame is mounted anyway.

TwoCubs 02-14-2016 04:36 PM

Cool, Kwak.

Bam! Finished my filter return yesterday. Happy.:givemebeer:

tt3 02-14-2016 09:11 PM

Garbage disposal wasn't working anymore. Picked up a new one, took out the old one, noticed the black wire was loose. Reconnected it. Old one works again! I can return the new one. I fixed something and saved $100.

Captain Tuttle 02-14-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt3 (Post 287043)
Garbage disposal wasn't working anymore. Picked up a new one, took out the old one, noticed the black wire was loose. Reconnected it. Old one works again! I can return the new one. I fixed something and saved $100.

Love it when stuff like that happens

Kwak 02-15-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt3 (Post 287043)

I hope the breaker was off when you made that discovery - NOT that I've ever done that.

irie feeling 02-15-2016 01:08 PM

I got another light bulb to change. Ugh!

tt3 02-15-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 287051)
I hope the breaker was off when you made that discovery - NOT that I've ever done that.

Nah it was unplugged. I've done enough hot swaps in my early days, I'm done with that. ;)

GBDad 02-15-2016 06:23 PM

I'll be the first to admit that I'm none too "handy." My last major project was insulating and dry-walling the garage. No small project but I got the majority of it done in one weekend last summer.

We're using our tax refund to put some new flooring in the living room. "Luxury Vinyl Plank" flooring that looks like hardwood. Looks for all the world like hardwood unless you get right up close or walk on it with bare feet. But it's cheaper, easier to maintain, and virtually indestructible. It's the same stuff we had installed in the basement after our sewer backup last summer. I thought about doing the living room by myself for about a half a minute but my wife quickly talked me out of that.

With this completed I think we've made our house 100% unsellable! At least if you watch these HGTV shows. People are absolutely "disgusted", and yes the word is used, at carpet, vinyl flooring, laminate counter tops, electric ranges, and it seems there's some kind of vendetta against ceiling fans. We have them all!

Kwak 02-15-2016 07:25 PM

I was considering on going with that stuff but then we got a HELOC. I think I've talked my wife into teak hardwood. If a Japanese Kamikaze couldn't destroy the teak decking on the USS Missouri then I doubt my kids could destroy a kitchen floored with it!

TwoCubs 02-16-2016 04:41 AM

I love ceiling fans... keeps the house comfy. We ended-up putting laminate in most of our old house (on a slab). It sold above asking price. What does HGTV know? They're always spending someone else's money.

Teak-oiled hardwood... sounds pretty. I remember many years ago (way before we even thought about kids) we thought about buying Australian Cypress (real hardwood), that I think we saw in a lumber liquidators showroom, to put in our last house. It looked deep and rich enough to sink into.

TwoCubs 02-19-2016 12:24 PM

I finally got the bad GFCI outlet changed on the side of the house. I've had need of it several times this last year, and it's been bugging me. I also sealed the top of the outdoor-in-use cover where it meets the brick with a good, healthy amount of silicone so that this one won't suffer from as much rain infiltration. Maybe the expensive ($18!) Weather-resistant outlet will hold-up better as well.

One more NUT (Nagging Unfinished Task) off the list.

tt3 02-22-2016 08:10 PM

I replaced the back wiper motor on the Yukon this morning.

tt3 02-28-2016 08:44 PM

I also scooped the winter poop today.

Kwak 02-28-2016 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt3 (Post 287222)
I also scooped the winter poop today.

Me too. Not from the dog though.

Captain Tuttle 02-29-2016 12:03 AM

Our bathroom vent has a hose that goes through the attic and vents through the roof. About 5 years ago we had some recessed lighting installed and the electricians knocked the hose off. For about a month the shower vented into the attic, some mold developed. We got it tested and it's harmless but we're selling the house and our realtor suggested that we paint the attic. I spent the weekend painting the attic but we rented a sprayer and it was much easier, I'm never painting with a brush again.

But man am I sore

Mark B. 02-29-2016 11:23 AM

Yesterday, February 28th, I hit golf balls in a windbreaker!!

irie feeling 02-29-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark B. (Post 287226)
Yesterday, February 28th, I jih golf balls in a windbreaker!!

Huh?

Mark B. 02-29-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irie feeling (Post 287232)
Huh?

Fixed-"Hit"......

Sorry for the early Monday morning typo.

irie feeling 03-01-2016 12:23 AM

Had a cabinet door that wouldn't stay shut. $1 later and a magnet closure it was done.
Took the old microwave to the recycling sta.
pretty much did a 3 fold nature/ science presentation for Pippa by my self, for Wed. Co-op school.
Dealt with an appraiser.
All by 1400 hrs.
Need I continue?

gduck 03-02-2016 01:42 PM

I was up on our roof yesterday so a contractor could show me just how badly in need of replacement it is. Fortunately we knew it was old and had been putting some money aside for it. Apparently they'll cut us a break on price if I help with the work... Guess I know what I'll be doing this summer.

TwoCubs 03-02-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gduck (Post 287258)
I was up on our roof yesterday so a contractor could show me just how badly in need of replacement it is. Fortunately we knew it was old and had been putting some money aside for it. Apparently they'll cut us a break on price if I help with the work... Guess I know what I'll be doing this summer.

This summer? Hopefully early summer. I've "helped" with a few summer roofing projects. Never again if I can help it. Maybe you can volunteer for waterboy or go-pher. Let us now how it goes, gduck.

irie feeling 03-02-2016 11:59 PM

I busted loose the screen on the the end of the kitchen faucet and got all the sand out of it and put it back on.
Whew!
Beer me.

Tomcat 03-03-2016 08:06 PM

you guys are doing well, kicking ass for sure.

Typed painfully slow with Tobii I 15 eye gaze

GBDad 03-04-2016 08:35 PM

Next weekend I'm hoping to get the base shoe installed in our living room since they installed our new floor. They wanted almost $1000 to do quarter-round at the time they did the floor. I can do it for $50 in material at Home Depot. Just have to convince the wife that the stain I found is a close enough match to our existing wood color. They can get quarter-round to match the floor. Or they have a guy who can match/mix stain to our current wood. I didn't even want to ask what that would cost. Of course he won't just sell you the stain. Stain, lumber, and labor deal with him. No thanks! Quarter-round would probably amount to half the price of the floor.

irie feeling 03-05-2016 02:50 AM

Yeah, yeah. That's the ticket, quarter round.

Mark B. 03-05-2016 03:17 PM

GBDad, my quarter round is painted the same color as the baseboard which is white. Just another option.

tt3 03-07-2016 03:35 AM

The 1/4rd in our kitchen matches the flooring, unfortunately the doofus's who put it in didn't take out the dark base board... it looks hilarious in a sad kind of lazy contractor way. I'll post a picture someday before we rip it out.

Today I replaced the locking mechanism on the hatch of our yukon and replaced the rear window regulator (the thing that raises the glass up and down) in my wife's car. Only minor blood lost, so job well done! :P Oh, our trees are also pouring out sap, so I'll be boiling sap soon, too! Why? Why not?!?

irie feeling 03-08-2016 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark B. (Post 287300)
GBDad, my quarter round is painted the same color as the baseboard which is white. Just another option.

Same here, matches baseboard, white.

GBDad 03-21-2016 01:40 PM

I got my floor trim/quarter round done last weekend as intended. Wife was skeptical until we had someone over this weekend and they asked where we got the stain matched/mixed since it "matches so well." Now that someone else said it looks good, it's okay.

On to the next thing. I installed a high arching Moen kitchen faucet a couple of years ago. The original faucet we had was so low it was virtually useless for washing dishes. "Moen: Buy it for looks. Buy it for life." Or about two years as it turns out. It has started to leak like crazy at the handle last week. Did some research and there is a "cartridge" in the handle that mixes the hot and cold water to get your desired temperature that I guess goes out ever 2-3 years. Supposed to be a $20 replacement part and a 15 minute job at most. We'll see. Usually my 15 minute projects turn into all day affairs.

GBDad 03-21-2016 08:28 PM

The faucet went a lot better than I thought. I'm extremely skeptical when they say "installs in minutes," however, it actually did. One allen nut, a quick spin with a socket wrench, out it comes. Reverse steps for the new one. No more leak!

tt3 03-21-2016 09:29 PM

It's awesome when it goes that well. I replaced the window upper downer thing in our spare car this weekend and took out the starter in the truck. Replacement is coming Friday. Our last batch of syrup is going to be boiled tonight, too, probably.

irie feeling 03-21-2016 11:36 PM

Mmmm syrup.

Kwak 03-22-2016 02:34 AM

I'm slipping. This past week I:

- replaced the wimpy eco-flush downstairs toilet with an American Standard Cadet 3 toilet. This is the 6th toilet I've replaced in the past 5 years. I'm almost ashamed at how easy it's gotten, but the American Standard toilets are really top notch IMO and come with all the things you need to install the toilet. The only things I paid extra for were a no slam toilet seat and a reusable green foam seal.

- rescued some jewelry out of my wife's bathroom sink. In the process I freed a pony tail of gunky wife hair. A lesser man would have lost his lunch at that.

- unclogged the downstairs bathroom sink. The plug is MIA so all kinds of nastiness was stuck in the gooseneck.

- unclogged the sink in the upstairs hallway bathroom. Again the plug is MIA so something got stuck in there. When I removed the gooseneck I discovered a child's crayola brand toothbrush had been stuffed all the way down.

- the big one was that I fixed this table twice:

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps8vhflkn2.jpg

The corner blocks that support the legs are solid wood and this table was made in Vietnam so they used some sort of solid wood burl that sheared off along the grain line. My wife bought me a cheap chop saw last year as a gift and I had a 3/4" mahogany board laying around so I replaced the block and the table is good for now, though a third block is likely to split if the table takes another tumble.