Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   General Posts (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Whats it like in your Neighborhood. (Weather that is) (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=1492)

DarthDaddy 12-05-2005 04:16 PM

Whats it like in your Neighborhood. (Weather that is)

On a game forum I am on someone has started this thread and I thought it rather interesting. I have a program that my wife enjoys (weatherbug) and it displays the weather all the time. This morning I woke up and here was what it was like.

-2 F or for our Canadian Friends -18 C (Almost -19)

http://xs58.xs.to/pics/05491/decwe.jpg

FYI this morning in Barrow Alaska it was less the 10 degress colder.

Darth Daddy, "Stranded on HOTH"

BTW-As I get older I am dissliking the SNOW and COLD even more

tt3 12-05-2005 04:26 PM

It was -4 when I got up this morning. It'll stay in the singles all day and if the weather man is correct, all week.

Eh, as I get older I find I can deal with cold and snow way better than sweating my ... um... anyway.
:lol:

sao95 12-05-2005 04:41 PM

I think it was like 55-60 this morning, so cold I didn't stand outside long enough to find out :lol: :lol:

Don-Dad 12-05-2005 05:31 PM

2 degrees here, we did get about 16 inches of snow over the weekend. Finally got to use my new snowblower, Ar, Ar, Ar.

Jackson's Dad 12-05-2005 05:52 PM

We are just at 32 degrees, and waiting for 4 to 6 inches this evening. Woo hoo!

Cool program you have there. I've been using Weather Underground for a while, and although the site it rather busy, it's turned me into a bit of a weather freak. My favorite feature is the Google Weather Map, with shows you on a mao the readings from personal weather stations people have uploaded. Fun!

floridamcmarion1 12-05-2005 06:37 PM

62 degrees here when I got up at 6:00 AM. Now at 1:30 PM it's 83 degrees and a little windy. We have a cold front coming through tonight and tomorrow, so we expect some rain tonight and a high tomorrow of 72 degrees.

Bollux 12-05-2005 08:07 PM

Snow from yesterday melting somewhere around 30 degrees

Patrickz 12-05-2005 08:22 PM

Snowing now but mid 30s this morning. I love Weather bug and have been using it for a few years now.

Indy 12-05-2005 08:53 PM

22 and sunny this afternoon--not that I'm going to go outside and verify that. We're supposed to get snow later this week.

Muz 12-05-2005 11:29 PM

We might have morning frost. Usually warms up to low 40s. FOG most of the day. At least it's not raining. Our 2-8 inches of snow predicted for last week fell as 1.5 inches of rain instead.

floridamcmarion1 12-05-2005 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muz
Our 2-8 inches of snow predicted for last week fell as 1.5 inches of rain instead.

Muz, I know what it's like if you get snow in your area. I lived in Sheridan for 3 years and hated it every time it snowed. I would wait to drive as long as possible so as many idiots as possible were already parked in the ditch. I grew up in Eastern Oregon, so I was one of the few in the valley who had much experience driving in snow and ice. The worst was when I had to drive in Portland in snow or ice.

Muz 12-06-2005 12:18 AM

Last winter was our first one in Oregon. We didn't get any snow, but did spend a weekend hunkered down after an ice storm. It was fun watching the local news while we warmed by the fire. :)

I grew up in Michigan and learned to drive in snow there. I've only driven in snow 2 times in the past 8 years however. This year, we were home for TG and I got to do it again. Overall, it wasn't too bad. I only ditched the in-laws car once. I was the only one in the car and the snow bank was soft. I worked it out of the ditch and there was no damage, so I figure no sense in telling them. :twisted:

2nd time around 12-07-2005 01:10 AM

Marion, what part of eastern oregon did you grow up in? I went to high school in Bend (central oregon) and went to the U of O. I know what Muz means about the other drivers. Learning to drive in the mountains and then having to drive around people that haven't is a scary thing. They would really be better off just staying home.. and out of the way. Yeh, drove in an ice storm in Portland once. Went to a Kansas/Cheap Trick concert and Cheap Tricks trucks had flipped and destroyed all their equipment. There was about 1000 people who made the show, and Kansas rocked for two hours straight. Only problem was I wrecked my mom's car on the way home from my friends house. Ah, good times...

flapjack 12-07-2005 02:44 AM

temp

3F on its way down to -6F tonight. 3 to 5 inches of snow.

young-blalock 12-07-2005 03:16 AM

Crazy, crazy. It's barely rained this year and we're getting 1 to 3 inches of snow forecast for tomorrow. ](*,)

SideShowCecil 12-07-2005 03:56 PM

It’s been -13 and snowing off and on all week; about an inch and a half snow total. We don’t get much snow here, what does fall is pretty dry and fine.

Winter driving is second nature to me. I learned to drive in winter, passed my drivers exam in a blizzard.

DarthDaddy 12-07-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideShowCecil
It’s been -13 and snowing off and on all week; about an inch and a half snow total. We don’t get much snow here, what does fall is pretty dry and fine

Is that - 13 C??

Right now it is currently 1 F (-17 C)

When I got up it was -6 F (-21 C)

Our Average LOW for this time of year is about 23 F (-5 C)

When I walk out the door my skin HURTS!!! I have been warming up the VAN in the morning and taking my son to the School Bus. When the bus arrives he gets out then on the bus. We all stay a bit warmer that way.

Darth-Daddy... Stuck on HOTH

floridamcmarion1 12-07-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthDaddy
When I walk out the door my skin HURTS!!! I have been warming up the VAN in the morning and taking my son to the School Bus. When the bus arrives he gets out then on the bus. We all stay a bit warmer that way.

Darth-Daddy... Stuck on HOTH

Darth-Daddy, I just looked on Travelocity and you could be in Fort Myers, Florida tomorrow evening for $177.60 per person, including taxes and fees!

Flee the dark side......come to the light!

Don-Dad 12-07-2005 05:26 PM

Still snowing here, might be up to almost a foot by now. It will be a choir to get the kids outside while I snowblow the driveway or the wifey won't be making it in the driveway. hmmm, that might not be such a bad idea, making here walk in the snow past her knees. :lol:

SideShowCecil 12-07-2005 07:07 PM

-13 F, -25 C this morning, ideal ice-fishing weather.

When I went to get the paper this morning my hands were still a little damp from washing them. My hand froze to the storm door handle, nice!

It’s warming now; we should be at 50 F, 10 C by Friday.

Don-Dad 12-07-2005 07:08 PM

I think we ended up with about 15 inches of snow. Kids and I just went out and cleared the driveway. Fun Wow!

Patrickz 12-07-2005 07:25 PM

"-13 F, -25 C this morning"
"15 inches of snow!"
:shock: :shock: :shock: My wife would litterly freeze if she read this.
I hear that this is coming our way.

Don-Dad 12-08-2005 12:13 AM

I think it is funny how I was out snowblowing and in about 15 minutes, job done. We have a pretty large driveway too, someting like 32'X50'.

Now all the stay at home moms were out shoveling about an hour later. What I find odd about that is they all own snowblowers. I see their husbands out doing the driveways with them.

Indy 12-08-2005 05:39 AM

They're predicting we'll get dumped on tomorrow. Looking at the weather maps, I have to say I'm inclined to agree with them.

Patrickz 12-08-2005 03:33 PM

And after it is done with you Indy it is up the eastcoast it goes. We are forcasted for 3+ inches or so. People here panic and lose there minds. :lol: Don it looks like will get no breaks from the snow but that will make for a cozy holiday season. :)

Jackson's Dad 12-08-2005 05:20 PM

Check out this map on Weather Underground for some of the snowfall predictions. Should be fun! (Then again, this Tuesday's storm? Nada.)

DarthDaddy 01-30-2007 03:37 PM

BUMP!!!

Thought I would bring this back up... Since we finally started getting hit with COLD!!!!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...y/weather2.jpg

tt3 01-30-2007 03:47 PM

Minneapolis, MN

1°F
Clear
Wind: W at 9 mph
Humidity: 85%
Windchill: -15 °F

Mark B. 01-30-2007 04:18 PM

Atl. right now 32 deg. Heading to a high of about 50. Not too bad. Going golfing tomorrow AM!!

North Country Dad 01-31-2007 03:10 AM

We are in the path of a severe Lake Effect storm. It begins tomorrow morning and is predicted to last about 24 hours. Estimates are between 1-2 feet. The adult in me says, "Oh, crap." The kid in me says, "YEAH!"

Joey G 01-31-2007 06:38 AM

Salt Lake City is in the midst of an inversion. There is warm air above the valley that's trapping the cold air, and any pollutants spat out undeneath. 19 straight days of this goop (admittedly, there was one day it cleared a little), and 19 days of colder weather by SLC standards (average temp this time of year is high 30s, the warmest it's been in this stretch is about 33, 34, and it had to heat up to that).

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/ar...shipId=1425013

See the mountains on the other side. Without the smog, you should see about 20 miles of suburbs in between. I'm not letting my 3-year-old play outside and breathe this crap, and I've been pre-emptively puffing on my inhaler (moderate asthma) because it's not good for my lungs either. Drive into the mountains above it, and not only is it clearer and healthier, it's about 10 degrees warmer. (I was going to drive up to Park City to get the boys out of this, but, in a bad confluence, Sundance was in town, and we would have never found a parking spot near the fun park where they could have run around). We get inversions every winter, but never this bad, at least since we moved here in 2000.

But we're supposed to get a storm that's should blow this gunk out. I'll gladly shovel 8 inches of snow if I can breathe outside.

Still, I hate winter #-o

JG

edited to try and figure out how to embed a photo rather than just use the URL, never figured it out

floridamcmarion1 01-31-2007 12:15 PM

Yesterday morning it was 34 degrees here!! The car was even frosted over, which can make it interesting since I have no reason to own a window scraper. Thankfully, I thought ahead and gave myself enough time to start the car early. Since we've been running 10 degrees above normal all winter, this was especially chilling! It did get up to 68 in the afternoon, though. We'll be back to 80 degrees by the end of the week.

DarthDaddy 01-31-2007 12:43 PM

Just keeps getting COLDER!!!

I would be wearing shorts if it was 34...:shock:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...y/weather3.jpg

CuppaJoe 01-31-2007 12:45 PM

wash dc - early this morning 21 (w/ wind.) Not the kind of wind one finds in downtown chicago, but still stings the face.

would be colder but winter's been mild here. hmm ..can you say "global climate change?"

floridamcmarion1 01-31-2007 12:58 PM

Darth, why don't you and Indy come watch the Superbowl at my house? It should be around 80 degrees this weekend, plus you would be just a few hours from the gamesite!! BBQ at my house!

chuck 01-31-2007 01:12 PM

A rosie 19F here this morning with a lite wind, but ths suns is out and nice and bright! :)

tt3 01-31-2007 01:19 PM

Its up to 5 in minneapolis this morning. Break out the tiki torches.

woodchuck 01-31-2007 01:39 PM

-3*F, bright sunrise, just fills one with warmth, then you inhale and the giggleberries jump right up by the lungs to stay warm.:shock::shock:

Patrickz 01-31-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuppaJoe (Post 63006)
wash dc - early this morning 21 (w/ wind.) Not the kind of wind one finds in downtown chicago, but still stings the face.

would be colder but winter's been mild here. hmm ..can you say "global climate change?"

Went to the dentist this morning at that time and yes my face stung a bit.

GrahamsPapa 01-31-2007 08:16 PM

About 40 and windy, 25mph with gusts to 40. Sunny and clear though which is rare around here this time of year. El ninyo(sp)