Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   Book Club (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Today I read: The book thread (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=4483)

Sonnie Bee 02-11-2007 09:10 PM

just finished SNOW CRASH by Neil Stephenson. was a great read!

just started reading THE GIVER by Lois Lowry. so far so good!

North Country Dad 02-12-2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnie Bee (Post 64971)

just started reading THE GIVER by Lois Lowry. so far so good!

I liked The Giver. Also read Lowry's Gathering Blue. I've read a lot of books lately that are marketed for Young Adults. Guess all this fatherhood stuff makes me want to revisit my adolescence?!:shock:

Bollux 02-12-2007 02:13 AM

read the 3 civil war books by father/son shaara not bad

Jackson's Dad 02-13-2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnie Bee (Post 64971)

Snow Crash is a great novel. Have you tried his others yet? Cryptonomicom is huge, but fascinating. And his Baroque series (3 books a zillion pages long each) was intense -- half pirate adventure, half scientific treatise. It's basically a challenge to the dot-com generation -- if you think the past 10 years have had a huge number of cultural/technological changes, check out what the generation in the late 1600s accomplished: invention of the scientific method, the stock market, and the modern nation state. Key characters include Newton and Leibniz.

Jackson's Dad 02-13-2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silviomossa (Post 64955)
I never thought this war would work. Reading this, I see how *maybe* it could have worked if so many people hadn't screwed up. .

That's always been Jon Stewart's position: whether or not you agreed with the war, if the administration had been straight about why they wanted the war, honest about their goals, and competent in their execution of it, a lot more people would've given them support.

DaddyO 02-13-2007 04:41 AM

just now reading Saying Yes: In Defense of Drug Use and The Omnivore's Dilemma.

silviomossa 02-13-2007 05:17 AM

DaddyO, post what you think of Omnivore when you get the chance. It's heavily requested at the local libraries, but I might get on the lists if it would be worth it. Thx.

stretch 02-13-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silviomossa (Post 65178)
DaddyO, post what you think of Omnivore when you get the chance. It's heavily requested at the local libraries, but I might get on the lists if it would be worth it. Thx.

It's well worth it. More a collection of interesting anecdotes than a coherent thesis, but full of details about our modern food culture that are both-eye opening and stomach-churning.

Wilde Silas 02-14-2007 02:56 AM

I've been reading a bunch of children's books for the sheer fun of it lately. Right now on loan from the library:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
A Series of Unfortunate Events Book 13 - The End
Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane

Also getting ready to read Republic Commando:Hard Contact (Star Wars)

JimP 02-14-2007 09:12 PM

Really?

Just finished An Inconvenient Truth. Reviewed it here.

- G[/QUOTE]

And in today's news, House Energy Subcommittee cancels Global Warming Hearing due to Ice Storm................it gets better and better .........