Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   Book Club (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Today I read: The book thread (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=4483)

CTDon 03-05-2007 02:49 AM

I just ordered a few books from amazon.

The first two I read about in Mens Journal while sitting on the can at my brother's house(between 3:45-6am)cursing life and the stomach viruses that it throws at you.

The Moral Animal: Why We Are, the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology

The Happiest Man In The World: An Account of the Life of Poppa Neutrino

This third one is just to read about the psychological aspect of running. I'm currently training for my second half marathon (it's at the end of April) and am planning on running a full marathon next year.

Running Within: A Guide to Mastering the Body-Mind-Spirit Connection for Ultimate Training and Racing

CTdadof3 06-14-2007 01:19 AM

I just finished The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. I enjoyed his more recent effort, "Blink", and came back to this. It's an interesting take on what the author calls social epidemics, how they begin and spread. The chapter on the 'stickiness' of Sesame Street and Blues Clues was particulary interesting, from a parent's perspective.

Mark B. 06-14-2007 01:40 AM

Just finished "Manhunt". The story of the the 12 day search for John Wilkes Booth after the Lincoln assassination. Great book. I hope to get to D.C. in the next few years to take the tour of Ford's theater to see some of the memorabilia up close.

poppadopolus 06-14-2007 01:56 AM

tonight it was green eggs and ham (is that cliche or what?) and some new book about a dog that taught a bird to talk.

PD

cjbart 06-14-2007 02:31 AM

Christopher Moore's Fluke
I've read all of Moore's books, even the ones that aren't so good make me laugh out loud!

DarthDaddy 06-14-2007 02:47 AM

I just read

The Abs Diet

Was written by the editor of mens Health. i borrowed it from the Library which I do for most books and dvd's.

Not a bad read. some interesting ideas and good energy food ideas. I am actually adding the workout (home version) to my bicycle training. Maybe by the end of the summer I will actually be in better shape...

jeffus 06-14-2007 03:10 AM

I think I can kill this thread in 1 post! ;)

I'm working on the Trane Air Conditioning Manual

...enthalpy, BTU's, and sensible heat....2 semester's of thermodynamics, all in one big juicy helping - yum!

My other diversion has been looking at mfg's pump performance curves for flowrate vs static pressure for fluids around 20-30 centipoise viscosity for the latest project...

And I read the back of the Children's Tylenol package to determine the correct dosage based on age and weight.

I also tore thru the latest issues of Time, BusinessWeek, and Popular Mechanics over the weekend....:shrug:

Next-up: The Alfa-Laval, "Everything You Need to Know about Sanitary Equipment Product Catalog"....

Life is good! :beer:

sao95 06-14-2007 03:29 AM

at the library today I picked up The American Trancendentalist's: essential writings, I've only made it through the first three essays, they were enjoyable though.

North Country Dad 06-14-2007 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffus (Post 80227)
I think I can kill this thread in 1 post! ;)

I'm working on the Trane Air Conditioning Manual

...enthalpy, BTU's, and sensible heat....2 semester's of thermodynamics, all in one big juicy helping - yum!

My other diversion has been looking at mfg's pump performance curves for flowrate vs static pressure for fluids around 20-30 centipoise viscosity for the latest project...

And I read the back of the Children's Tylenol package to determine the correct dosage based on age and weight.

I also tore thru the latest issues of Time, BusinessWeek, and Popular Mechanics over the weekend....:shrug:

Next-up: The Alfa-Laval, "Everything You Need to Know about Sanitary Equipment Product Catalog"....

Life is good! :beer:

As the starter of this thread, I'd have to say that that was a damn good attempt at killing it. #-o

I've started a few novels lately, but they're boring me. This has made me gun-shy to start another one, though I have a pile to choose from.

jeffus 06-14-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Country Dad (Post 80235)
As the starter of this thread, I'd have to say that that was a damn good attempt at killing it. #-o

Nope! Just my day, so far....Read On Daddies! :supz:

I was looking for "Assault on Reason" by Al Gore at the library yesterday, but I guess it's coming out in July.....whoops!

The Pony books just don't seem to hold my attention anymore....:shrug: