Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   Book Club (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Today I read: The book thread (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=4483)

North Country Dad 02-10-2007 01:21 PM

Today I read: The book thread

Piggybacking on this idea:http://dadstayshome.com/dads/showthread.php?t=3508

Read (or reading) a good book? I'm thinking books for adult readers, but if you have an especially strong suggestion for a book to read with your kids, toss it in here.

Just finished An Inconvenient Truth. Reviewed it here.

Just started Gretl Ehrlich's This Cold Heaven about her experiences living in Greenland. I have always been fascinated by life in the frozen wild -- arctic explorers, Inuit, massive chunks of ice sliding across North America, gouging out the very lakes that bring us Lake Effect snow, which is at this very moment, dumping on us again.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...2/snowfall.jpg

We're just below the "F" in "Forecast" -- another foot on the way!

- G

Patrickz 02-10-2007 01:49 PM

The Happiest Toddler on the Block Still thumbing through it at night tring to get a clue. I also have the DVD for Al Gore's presentation. Your review is shared by me as well. Lots of old news but a good voice none the less.

Ma(tt)Daddy 02-10-2007 02:39 PM

Reading the "Letters of Tennessee Williams" right now.

Making my way through the collected stories of Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

sao95 02-10-2007 02:43 PM

Aldous Huxley, Heaven and Hell, It's about going through the "door in the wall", either using drugs or other devices that are used by religion and what not...

chuck 02-10-2007 03:00 PM

Great thread idea!
Right now I'm reading "Stories for around the campfire" by Ray Harriot, a very good book with differnt age level spooky stories for the kids, I'm getting ready for some seriouse camping this spring with our boyscout pack. (gonna scare the papjibas out of these kids :) )

Captain Tuttle 02-10-2007 03:08 PM

I'm reading book 2 in Shelby Foote's trilogy The Civil War, "Fredericksburg to Meridian".

stretch 02-10-2007 03:32 PM

Bill Bryson, The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid

A memoir of his childhood in Des Moines in the 50s and a very amiable and perceptive look back at the era. Also one of the flat-out funniest writers alive.

silviomossa 02-10-2007 03:38 PM

Reading "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks. About the war. Title says it all.

Joey G 02-10-2007 03:40 PM

Reading Bag of Bones by Stephen King, have the new Pete Maravich biography in tow.

JG

cjbart 02-10-2007 04:14 PM

John Irving's Until I Find You. It's really quite a good read and has a great hook. Better than his last couple of novels, in fact I think it's on a par with his great earlier novels like World According to Garp or Cider House Rules. Same kind of lifelong story, but his style has changed some over the years.
I think Gore's Inconvenient Truth is next on the list. It takes a lot longer to read a whole book than it used to.

silviomossa 02-10-2007 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbart (Post 64821)
It takes a lot longer to read a whole book than it used to.

Geez, ain't that the truth! I've renewed Fiasco too many times at the library. Glad their whole system is online.

I also have the Gore book -- got it for Christmas. Still have not had the inclination to pick it up, several others interest me more.

I'm also reading a slew of baseball stat books to prep for the season: Shandler's "Baseball Forecaster", McKamey's "Minor League Baseball Analyst", handbookd from both James and BA. And the Baseball Prospectus comes out in three weeks. Real page turners! =P~

stretch 02-10-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Also agreed. That's why I like short story anthologies by the bed for that 20-minute quick fix before you nod off and start drooling down onto the pages.

This is a pretty good series to suit almost any range of interests.

Usually also takes me a few months to get through Gardner Dozois's doorstep-sized Year's Best Science Fiction anthology. And it's always well-chosen.

Math Daddy 02-10-2007 08:36 PM

I'm working on the Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliott. On Book 2, Prince of Dogs, at the moment. I'm rather enjoying it. I recently devoured several series by Harry Turtledove, including Derlavai, Crosstime Traffic, and War Between the Provinces. All very good alternative history novels, if you're into that kind of thing.

Joey G 02-11-2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 64820)
had a hard time with that one. he developed the plot rather slowly. Still not a bad, albeit pedestrian, read though.

Currently going through Jeff Shaara's "To The Last Man" a historical/novel of characters in the first world war. Pershing, Patton, Haig, Petain, Foch, Joffre, Rickenbacker (94th Aero Squaderon), and Richthofen. Follows a nice chronology where you're initially introduced to a british reinforcement infantryman who's developed nicely in the first two chapters but gets mowed down suddenly (point being few groundtroops lasted more than a few months). Later Richthofen gets downed just before Pershing's AEF ramps up and Rickenbacker is just starting out in his flying career. With two of the lead characters now dead the story picks up with two characters in the AEF who are Marines having to switch to army uniforms as the marines colours resemble that of the Germans. Interesting to see how they develop.

Pershing, Joffre and Haig still remain the overall backbone of the story

I'm about 300 pages in to Bag of Bones, and admittedly, not a lot has happened. King has done this with some of his other books, where it takes a long time for the plot to build (Cujo comes to mind), but so far it hasn't been dull.

The Jeff Shaara book sounds interesting. I enjoyed his two American Revolution books.

JG

North Country Dad 02-11-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Not if they're board books. :shock:

I'm interested in reading Fiasco, but time is so limited and my list of "books to read" is long. Would you guys mind posting a few short insights on it?

Oh, yeah, and I read Time cover to cover every week. Some of it is so-so, but it's a quick way to get the weekly news scoop.

Bollux 02-11-2007 03:49 AM

Star Wars: Betrayal

Jackson's Dad 02-11-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silviomossa (Post 64817)
Reading "Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks. About the war. Title says it all.

I started that book -- very well written, and so easy to read. But I had to stop after a chapter because it's so depressing. What a mess. I think the first thing that hits you, is that this war has been in the making for a long time. The key players (Cheney, Rummy, etc.) have been moving towards this goal for decades.

Just finished a fine science fiction novel, John Scalzi's first, called "Old Man's War". He's a new writer, and also has a very fun to read blog.

Just about to start a new huge book on Caesar called "Caesar: Life of a Colossus". I took three years of Latin in high school so I've always been fasincated by Roman history.

North Country Dad 02-11-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad (Post 64948)
I think the first thing that hits you, is that this war has been in the making for a long time. The key players (Cheney, Rummy, etc.) have been moving towards this goal for decades.

Old men with old ideas. I usually don't like this sentiment, because it's so misguided, but in this case, I would have loved to have forced Dick and Donald into fatigues and sent them overseas to fight their own damn war. W could go along, too, for comic relief.

Sorry...had to ramble there for a minute.

Thanks for insight on Fiasco. I have the same concerns -- that it's so depressing. Maybe I'll pick it up when the weather gets nicer? :shock:

silviomossa 02-11-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad (Post 64948)
I started that book -- very well written, and so easy to read. But I had to stop after a chapter because it's so depressing. What a mess. I think the first thing that hits you, is that this war has been in the making for a long time. The key players (Cheney, Rummy, etc.) have been moving towards this goal for decades.

Despite that, I was a bit surprised to learn that the administration didn't plan on this from the outset, though some in the think-tanks on the outside did. It did take some persuasion, and a friend of Cheney noted that he was surprised when he did change course from containment to war.

What struck me (halfway through, up by Oct. 2003), as one who has read the news for years but not gone into all of the details of the war, is how the intelligence was sold, how there was really *no* post-war plan and why, specifically how many post-Saddam battles and situations were botched (and why), and how the lack of central authorities, as well as a clear sense of what the overall mission was/is, caused so many problems.

I never thought this war would work. Reading this, I see how *maybe* it could have worked if so many people hadn't screwed up. And all of that information makes it clear that the latest solutions, such as a troop surge, won't amount to a hill of beans.

silviomossa 02-11-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Country Dad (Post 64952)
Thanks for insight on Fiasco. I have the same concerns -- that it's so depressing. Maybe I'll pick it up when the weather gets nicer? :shock:

I'm not depressed by it, though a bit outraged at times. It's a fascinating read and, as noted, well-written. I might be depressed by it if I found any of the conclusions surprising, but for the most part, I don't. It's many of the details that are all new to me.

Sonnie Bee 02-11-2007 09:10 PM

just finished SNOW CRASH by Neil Stephenson. was a great read!

just started reading THE GIVER by Lois Lowry. so far so good!

North Country Dad 02-12-2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnie Bee (Post 64971)

just started reading THE GIVER by Lois Lowry. so far so good!

I liked The Giver. Also read Lowry's Gathering Blue. I've read a lot of books lately that are marketed for Young Adults. Guess all this fatherhood stuff makes me want to revisit my adolescence?!:shock:

Bollux 02-12-2007 02:13 AM

read the 3 civil war books by father/son shaara not bad

Jackson's Dad 02-13-2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Snow Crash is a great novel. Have you tried his others yet? Cryptonomicom is huge, but fascinating. And his Baroque series (3 books a zillion pages long each) was intense -- half pirate adventure, half scientific treatise. It's basically a challenge to the dot-com generation -- if you think the past 10 years have had a huge number of cultural/technological changes, check out what the generation in the late 1600s accomplished: invention of the scientific method, the stock market, and the modern nation state. Key characters include Newton and Leibniz.

Jackson's Dad 02-13-2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silviomossa (Post 64955)
I never thought this war would work. Reading this, I see how *maybe* it could have worked if so many people hadn't screwed up. .

That's always been Jon Stewart's position: whether or not you agreed with the war, if the administration had been straight about why they wanted the war, honest about their goals, and competent in their execution of it, a lot more people would've given them support.

DaddyO 02-13-2007 04:41 AM

just now reading Saying Yes: In Defense of Drug Use and The Omnivore's Dilemma.

silviomossa 02-13-2007 05:17 AM

DaddyO, post what you think of Omnivore when you get the chance. It's heavily requested at the local libraries, but I might get on the lists if it would be worth it. Thx.

stretch 02-13-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silviomossa (Post 65178)
DaddyO, post what you think of Omnivore when you get the chance. It's heavily requested at the local libraries, but I might get on the lists if it would be worth it. Thx.

It's well worth it. More a collection of interesting anecdotes than a coherent thesis, but full of details about our modern food culture that are both-eye opening and stomach-churning.

Wilde Silas 02-14-2007 02:56 AM

I've been reading a bunch of children's books for the sheer fun of it lately. Right now on loan from the library:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
A Series of Unfortunate Events Book 13 - The End
Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane

Also getting ready to read Republic Commando:Hard Contact (Star Wars)

JimP 02-14-2007 09:12 PM

Really?

Just finished An Inconvenient Truth. Reviewed it here.

- G[/QUOTE]

And in today's news, House Energy Subcommittee cancels Global Warming Hearing due to Ice Storm................it gets better and better .........

Ma(tt)Daddy 03-03-2007 09:32 PM

Halfway through "First Light" by Charles Baxter.
Wonderful novel.

silviomossa 03-03-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silviomossa (Post 64823)
"Fiasco"

It got a little plug from John McCain on the Letterman show the other night. I'm almost done, a very good book.

Now, someone damn well better buy me a pizza when I finish it. J/K Riggs!!!! :wink:

Wilde Silas 03-04-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchuck (Post 65483)
Will finish up "The King of Torts" by Grisham, tonight. It's a good put ya to sleep book, a real mumbler, MIL thought it was a real spinetingler, gifts, bah.

I read that a few years back. That's a few hours of my life I'll never get back. :roll:

sao95 03-04-2007 02:18 AM

after Wilde Silas started goin on about kids books, I picked up Huck Finn again, I read it when I was a kid, Mark Twain was the first author I read where I had to read everything he wrote, so I also wanted to read Twain as an adult. I have to say I'm enjoying it probably more than I did when I was a kid :)

Jackson's Dad 03-04-2007 03:43 AM

Unnghhh... with a newborn around, I haven't had a chance to read in over a week. Going through withdrawal....

Tom Skelton 03-04-2007 05:20 AM

I'm reading The Best of H.P. Lovecraft, I get on a Lovecraft jag once every few years.

Tom Skelton 03-04-2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

That book is incredible - I think Stephenson has begun to surpass Phillip K. Dick. Before I read SC I thought The Matrix was sublime.

Tom Skelton 03-04-2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey G (Post 64885)
I'm about 300 pages in to Bag of Bones, and admittedly, not a lot has happened
JG

This book didn't do it for me - I'm way too critical of Steven King sometimes, though.
I think some of his work is genius - like Low Men in Yellow Coats from Hearts in Atlantis.

MoparDaddy 03-04-2007 06:42 AM

Just started reading a David Feherty book : someplace in Ireland a village is missing an Idiot

Bollux 03-05-2007 02:13 AM

just finished book 2 of the Legacy of the Force series. damn good so far, book 3 and 4 are out so will have to get at library if they have.