Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (
-   Sticky Topics - Useful Tidbits of Information (
-   -   Annoy a marketer, save a tree. (

stretch 10-23-2007 06:09 PM

Annoy a marketer, save a tree.
Since the kids were born, we've started buying more stuff online and out of catalogs, for obvious reasons. As a result, we seem to have been added to every direct seller in the world's hot prospect list. Some days, the postman can't get the mailbox door closed. Enough is enough. =;

I just started using to try and stem the flow. In a week of adding each new and unwanted catalog to the list before it goes in the recycle bin, we've accumulated 42 opt-outs already. Amazing. Who the f*ck thinks I'm a likely purchaser of Wiccan womenswear?

Anyway, it's free (as in beer), simple and apparently quite eco-righteous to boot, if that's your thing. I'll report back later on whether it actually works.

Cubfan 10-23-2007 06:16 PM

Thanks for the link, I'm all over it! I hope it works.

I remember this topic about recycle was discussed a few months ago. And I had mentioned that I had just sat down and called every single catalog and told them "If I need to buy something, I know where to find you". It's unbelievable how much they send out. We'd even get duplicate copies - a Pottery Barn in my name, another in the wife's!! It's gotta stop.

spk 10-23-2007 06:22 PM

Oh, this is GREAT. I hope it works as advertised.
We get bazillions of catalogs (though admittedly the wife does buy a few things from them from time to time). I have often found myself wondering how many trees are cut down for this crap.
It's the digital age, fer crissake! If I want to buy something, I'll buy it online!

Excellent find, Stretch. I too will keep you guys posted about how well it works.

Captain Tuttle 10-23-2007 06:26 PM

Thanks Stretch. This thread should be stickied!

sao95 10-23-2007 06:34 PM

how about if we sticky it in tidbits

North Country Dad 10-23-2007 07:50 PM

Great idea, Stretch. Thanks for the link.

Living in the boonies and hating malls, we do a lot of online shopping. We recycle a few dozen catalogs each week. Ridiculous.

Captain Tuttle 10-23-2007 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sao95 (Post 93256)
how about if we sticky it in tidbits

Righto! Thanks man!

troy00690 10-23-2007 10:54 PM

I am the one that likes the junk mail. I take all the cc offers I get and empty out the contents use there premarked envelops and send the the advertisements. I do this about every 3 weeks or so and have around 10-20 premarket envelops. Drives my wife nuts when I do this but I just tell her that it saves me from shopping on line.

Ironcat 11-29-2007 02:02 AM

I usually shred everything they send me and put it all in their premarked envelopes along with a couple ounces of newspapers, coffee grinds, etc, and mail it back to them...
Doesn't matter what it weighs, they are paying postage for it.

Eventually they stop mailing you things.

stretch 12-30-2007 05:19 PM

Well, I'm still plugging away at this, though it has done little to stem the tide yet. Unfortunately, but probably inevitably, not everybody wants to play along.

I have to say, personally, that if I find out a company is deliberately continuing to spam me despite my specific request that they stop doing so -- I will be strongly tempted to go into offense mode as described in the post above.