Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   Xbox/Wii/PC (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   General gaming banter (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=7953)

Kwak 03-01-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sdad (Post 224186)
If you guys have any questions about 360's (models etc) let us know, we'd be happy to answer them. The early 360's had terrible reliability problems but the newest models are rock solid.

Nice! DO it!!!

KEE-RYST, there's more than ONE model? This may be too complicated for me!

BTW, how sturdy are these things? I NEED to kill something and I need equipment that can handle blood lust. :assault:

Captain Tuttle 03-01-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 224244)
KEE-RYST, there's more than ONE model? This may be too complicated for me!

BTW, how sturdy are these things? I NEED to kill something and I need equipment that can handle blood lust. :assault:

HaHa! There's basically 4 models (2 non-Kinect bundles, 2 Kinect bundles) but the cheapest one can play all non-Kinect (motion control) games. To sell your wife on it you'd probably want the 4 gig Kinect bundle. That's the one I have upstairs.

As for being sturdy, treat it like you would any other electronic device around kids. Basically, keep it out of reach. The controllers are well built though.

mogwai dad 03-01-2011 08:17 PM

I am looking into the 4 gig Kinect Bundle. Figure I could always expand the hard drive later on if needed. Can you utilize the USB ports with flash drive memory? Any problems with the generic hard drives out there that are cheaper than the microsoft brands?

Any issues with the Kinect Sensor so far in your guy's experience? Where does it set up? On top of the TV or off to the side? I like the idea of the Kinect a lot. My little guy would probably get a kick out of Kinectimals and maybe the dance party.

I may have to part with my wii to get the go ahead on the 360. I would like to keep it, but it's not a deal breaker for me. In my mind I am already getting this so it would be disappointing to not get it. Trying to leverage this as part of my birthday gift since I don't usually ask for anything. I am already trying to figure out what game I want to get first.

Captain Tuttle 03-01-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogwai dad (Post 224274)
I am looking into the 4 gig Kinect Bundle. Figure I could always expand the hard drive later on if needed. Can you utilize the USB ports with flash drive memory? Any problems with the generic hard drives out there that are cheaper than the microsoft brands?

You can use usb thumb drives up to 16 gigs. There's certain brands that are "recommended". I have a 16 gig one that I use but only have access to 6 gig or something, I guess it's not on the list.
I also haven't heard of any issues with the non MS Hard Drives. That's the way I'm going once I decide to upgrade my 4 gigger.
Quote:

Any issues with the Kinect Sensor so far in your guy's experience? Where does it set up? On top of the TV or off to the side? I like the idea of the Kinect a lot. My little guy would probably get a kick out of Kinectimals and maybe the dance party.

Kinect has been fine so far, no issues. I have it set up above my tv in the center, about 6 ft off the ground. That way no kids can touch it.

Quote:

I may have to part with my wii to get the go ahead on the 360. I would like to keep it, but it's not a deal breaker for me. In my mind I am already getting this so it would be disappointing to not get it. Trying to leverage this as part of my birthday gift since I don't usually ask for anything. I am already trying to figure out what game I want to get first.

Well if you're interested in multi-player I'd suggest something like COD Black Ops. It's pretty popular and there's alot of guys that play it. Of course you have to but a subscription to Xbox Live, don't ever pay full price though. MS always has a sale or you can get deals like a year for $35.99. If you're not into multi player there's plenty of great single player experiences out there.

Hockeyfan 03-01-2011 08:44 PM

Yeah BO is the best one going right now. Gears of War 3 will be coming out in the fall and is going to be amazing. I so can't wait. Battlefield 2 is also a great game.

I, like WD, have my kinect above the TV. Maybe 4.5 feet up. No problems so far. I have a USB for the kid's 360 (my old one) and it works fine for all of their game saves. I'd do what WD said and get a deal on the live subscription. Even at full price it a heck of a deal in my opinion.

You need a 360 for sure. You deserve it. Your wife loves you right?

mogwai dad 03-01-2011 08:45 PM

Black Ops is something I definitely have in mind. I was also looking at some titles that were out a while ago that looked interesting like Dragon Age. Hell, I might even look into picking up Borderlands because it is dirt cheap and I think it would fun to play on something much bigger than my computer monitor.

Right now I am looking for potential tv mount solutions for the sensor.

Captain Tuttle 03-01-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogwai dad (Post 224277)
Black Ops is something I definitely have in mind. I was also looking at some titles that were out a while ago that looked interesting like Dragon Age. Hell, I might even look into picking up Borderlands because it is dirt cheap and I think it would fun to play on something much bigger than my computer monitor.

Right now I am looking for potential tv mount solutions for the sensor.

Dragon Age is a great game, graphics are really dated but I love the universe. Dragon Age 2 is coming out tomorrow, I think. Borderlands is a blast, if you get it I'll play Co Op with you. Also the Mass Effect games are fantastic if you haven't played. The 360 has an amazing backlog of games that are really cheap.

mogwai dad 03-01-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan (Post 224276)

You need a 360 for sure. You deserve it. Your wife loves you right?

She says she does. :icon_wink: But she wants a new iphone so that is working against me right now. She has waited patiently for it to come to verizon so I probably need to pull the trigger on that first. My birthday isn't for a few weeks, but I would rather get it sooner then later.

Another good showing this weekend and I may not need to sell the wii :icon_wink::icon_lol:

mogwai dad 03-01-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sdad (Post 224278)
Dragon Age is a great game, graphics are really dated but I love the universe. Dragon Age 2 is coming out tomorrow, I think. Borderlands is a blast, if you get it I'll play Co Op with you. Also the Mass Effect games are fantastic if you haven't played. The 360 has an amazing backlog of games that are really cheap.

I looked into it and it comes out next week. I like the cheap games. Makes me feel less guilty about spending money on games.

I've never really played multi player before but always wanted to so that might take some getting used to. Shouldn't take too long to get used to the controllers, but it will be an adjustment. For shits and giggles the other night I connected the old xbox and played a little rainbow six. Really awkward at first, but as with anything it got more comfortable the more I played.

DarthDaddy 03-01-2011 09:04 PM

I just got the 250GB Microsoft to replace the 20 I have right now.

Black Ops is on my top right now for online fun.
Fallout New Vegas my play alone game
Castle Crashers with my older boys.

I have access to a TON of games since my BIL and BROTHER both have s360's and stopped trading in games. Especially since we can move them around to others.

You DESERVE the 360!
:chugchug: