Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   Xbox/Wii/PC (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   General gaming banter (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=7953)

Bollux 06-01-2008 01:52 PM

General gaming banter

I dont think we have a "pull up your stool" type of post for gaming. I started playing gears last night. pretty good port to pc. got an older game in mail yesterday, prince of persia sands of time. a tomb raider like game with middle east theme. not bad for what it is, though i am sure was a hell of alot easier to control with gamepad.

So what games you all into now?

Captain Tuttle 06-01-2008 02:04 PM

I thought we had an "Any Gamers?" thread but I don't think it made it to this new section.
I just started a replay of Mass Effect. It's really an excellent game, great story and pretty innovative gameplay, especially the dialog sections. Highly recommended if you're into RPG's. I'm playing it on my 360 but I'm pretty sure a PC version has just been released.

Bollux 06-01-2008 03:32 PM

yeah it just came out i have it up on the online trading thing so just waiting for my space.

Bollux 06-04-2008 11:24 PM

lego indiana jones.....wonderful!

Bollux 06-05-2008 12:53 AM

oh and i am finally getting someone to send me guitar hero 3 from the online trading place. cant beat full hardware/software for a 1 buck trade.

DarthDaddy 06-05-2008 03:35 AM

I would kill to have a video game right now... Keep my mind away from being locked away in the hospital... I better go home EARLY tomorrow!!!!

Captain Tuttle 06-05-2008 11:18 PM

Hey Stretch, How do you like GTA4?

Captain Tuttle 06-06-2008 09:25 PM

The Civilization Revolutions demo is now available for download on Xbox LIVE. It's pretty good actually, it's made the jump over to consoles pretty successfully, I think. Definitely worth a try if you're into strategy games.

stretch 06-06-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sdad (Post 123180)
Hey Stretch, How do you like GTA4?

Definitely sucks you in. And I didn't like the previous ones at all. The "background" stuff is awesome. You could sit around for hours just watching TV in-game. Funny, funny ****.

DarthDaddy 06-06-2008 11:19 PM

Dawn of War II coming...

Yeah Baby!!!

Captain Tuttle 06-07-2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthDaddy (Post 123302)
Dawn of War II coming...

Yeah Baby!!!

Indeed! I think I'm more pumped for this than I am for Starcraft 2. They didn't fiddle too much with Starcraft 2...I don't think they wanted to piss off the Koreans. I think it's more of the same in a prettier wrapper.

Bollux 07-07-2008 11:40 PM

downloaded a copy of mass effect, started playign last night. my only gripe is the pc camera control is bonkers. unless i hold a mousebutton down the camera just wildly skips everywhere.

stretch 07-07-2008 11:44 PM

Got a copy of the Orange Box for my PS3. Gotta be among the best gaming values ever. Played a little Portal, which is a gas, then buckled down to getting through Half-Life 2. Still have the Episode 1&2 add-ons to come. Sweet!

Captain Tuttle 07-08-2008 10:14 AM

That's weird Bollux, maybe you can change something in settings.
Stretch, Orange Box is great. Did you notice any hiccups along the way? Valve hired EA to port that game over to the PS3 and apparently there were problems. Valve isn't a big fan of the PS3. I guess your update to 2.4 went smoothly as well.

Edit: 2.41 as of today.

Kwak 07-08-2008 01:01 PM

I don't know if this is OT or not, but I FINALLY got the laptop's video card working again. On the gaming side of things that doesn't mean anything new; I'm just reinstalling my old games (Star Wars KOTOR) and now I'm back to missing a lot of sleep again. I can't decide whether to be happy or concerned.

:dumb:

Captain Tuttle 07-08-2008 01:08 PM

KOTOR was one of my favorite games on the Xbox. KOTOR 2 was great but terribly rushed and unfinished. If you get it for your laptop check out this site
Team-Gizka
They've taken it upon themselves to sort through a bunch of code that contained unfinished quests in the game and are working on filling it out.

stretch 07-08-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sdad (Post 126825)
That's weird Bollux, maybe you can change something in settings.
Stretch, Orange Box is great. Did you notice any hiccups along the way? Valve hired EA to port that game over to the PS3 and apparently there were problems. Valve isn't a big fan of the PS3. I guess your update to 2.4 went smoothly as well.

Edit: 2.41 as of today.

I'd heard about frame rate issues etc. but haven't noticed any so far. Held off on the update after the reports of brickings. I'll wait and see how stable the new version is.

Bollux 07-08-2008 08:55 PM

figured it out, the guitar from gh3 was acting like a controller causing the mouse movements to be magnified. go figure.

Kwak 07-08-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sdad (Post 126840)
KOTOR was one of my favorite games on the Xbox. KOTOR 2 was great but terribly rushed and unfinished. If you get it for your laptop check out this site
Team-Gizka
They've taken it upon themselves to sort through a bunch of code that contained unfinished quests in the game and are working on filling it out.

Yeah, I've had both for a couple of years now and know all about Team-Giska's work to "clean up" that mess that's KOTOR2. Like you said: great but unfinished and the teasers that Team-Gizka has put up on Youtube really do help flesh out the story. I don't know how to get on their beta team to "test" it but I'd be curious to see how it's actually coming along; it's been a few years' work for them.

I'd also like to see if there's a KOTOR3 in the works. In the meantime there's a really great SW game that looks awesome but will probably be a later/stripped-down PC version.

Captain Tuttle 07-08-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 126906)
I'd also like to see if there's a KOTOR3 in the works. In the meantime there's a really great SW game that looks awesome but will probably be a later/stripped-down PC version.

Well, there's rumors floating around that KOTOR3 will be announced next week at E3. Who knows. LucasArts has been working on The Force Unleashed. Looks good but I think I actually like the KOTOR timeline better.

Kwak 07-09-2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sdad (Post 126918)
Well, there's rumors floating around that KOTOR3 will be announced next week at E3. Who knows. LucasArts has been working on The Force Unleashed. Looks good but I think I actually like the KOTOR timeline better.

That's the one I was thinking of: Force Unleashed. It looks pretty good but I'd like to see how they continue the KOTOR story as well.

BTW - it looks like the KOTOR2 restoration may be coming out any day now: their WIP bug counter is down to 9.

Captain Tuttle 07-15-2008 10:21 AM

Xbox Live gets a groovy new revamp in the Fall. I could do without the avatars though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCUAI...eature=related

There's also been a $50 price drop for the 20 gig Premiums(While supplies last)...they're clearing out inventory for a new 60 gig model.

goingrey 07-15-2008 10:11 PM

I would like to make a game called Super Busy Hospital, where you treat all the gunshot victims of all the other video games.

"excuse me doctor, are you busy?"
"well yes I'm pulling 53 bullets out of this guys head"

sorry, stole that from a stand up act.

Bollux 07-15-2008 11:41 PM

uhhh your wish was someones command

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventur...on/review.html

Bollux 07-17-2008 05:55 AM

finally beat gears on pc

Bollux 07-23-2008 11:10 PM

been playing mass effect since beating gears. damn good game and wasnt in the least surprised when the dude spoke and was same voice actor from kotor

Captain Tuttle 07-23-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bollux (Post 128677)
been playing mass effect since beating gears. damn good game and wasnt in the least surprised when the dude spoke and was same voice actor from kotor

Mass Effect is amazing. Side missions are kind of bland but the main story is second to none. Can't wait for the next 2.

stretch 07-24-2008 12:27 AM

Finished Half-Life 2 last night. Goddamn deus ex machina/G-Man. Probably fire up Episode 1 tonight just to see where they pick things up. No spoilers, please.

Bollux 07-28-2008 02:34 PM

Started playing Lost Planet. Seems like a decent game.

DarthDaddy 07-28-2008 07:19 PM

Brother In Law gave us a 360 plus Lego Indiana Jones... Just as much fun as the Star Wars ones!!!

Captain Tuttle 07-29-2008 09:41 PM

Free multiplayer on Xbox Live...for a little while and only for 3 games

Quote:

A rumor has been going around the net that Xbox Live is going free for select games until fall. Apparently that rumor was true. According to a updated post by Shacknews, Microsoft has informed them that Xbox 360/Games for Windows silver members will limited free multiplayer access.

Here’s what a MS rep had to say “For a limited time, we are offering free online multiplayer on Xbox 360/Games for Windows titles that offer LIVE cross platform play,” a representative explained. “This promotion won’t last, so we encourage everyone to take advantage of it while they can.”

The representative concluded that, “When the new Xbox experience launches this fall all multiplayer gaming on Xbox 360 will be for Gold members only.” As the original rumor stated the only games that will feature this limited free online play are Universe at War, Shadowrun and Lost Planet: Colonies Edition.
Link

Bollux 07-30-2008 03:00 AM

beat mass effect... whens the sequel?

Captain Tuttle 07-30-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bollux (Post 129366)
beat mass effect... whens the sequel?

That was fast. I guess there's no Achievements on the PC version, huh?

The second part of the trilogy comes out next year.

Captain Tuttle 08-15-2008 10:49 AM

Hey Hockey, haven't seen you around much. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 demo is out on Marketplace.

DarthDaddy 08-15-2008 12:41 PM

Thanks to Bollux the only thing I have been playing is Company of Heroes... ADDICTIVE!!!!

:assault::assault::assault: Get those Nazi's :assault::assault:

Bollux 08-15-2008 04:06 PM

warned ya that it was a good game. next i would advise world in conflict. russian attack on the us. started it a few days ago and have been enjoying it.

Hockeyfan 08-15-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sdad (Post 130941)
Hey Hockey, haven't seen you around much. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 demo is out on Marketplace.

I'm out of Country. I'm in my homeland. Enjoying Tim Horton's coffee, poutine, and fries supreme from Taco Bell. Mmmm Fries Supreme. Actually competing in a real golf tournament Saturday and Sunday with a buddy from home. He's a 1 handicap and I'm a 20 (and improving). Had 4 pars on the front nine last night at his course, but also had a 9 in there on a Par 4 (5??). Once you get in the fescue...OMG. Anyways.... OUCH! Played till 9:15 or so last night, which was basically dark. It stays much lighter here than down south though. Anyways we played the 490 yard par 4 with 9 irons. Two shots with 9 iron, then we allowed ourselves the ability to use SW for the approach to the green as we both had about 100 yards. One light swing with the SW and we were both on. Two-put for a bogey. Not bad considering we couldn't see the ball leaving the club. Just hoped we shot it straight!

So in short, that is why I haven't been on much. I am missing my 360 though. GOW is calling me. Never been into the golf games on computer, but have never ever tried it on the xbox or 360. May have to try it as golf is my new sport. Hockey is out. I'll have to change my name. I'm just too injury riddled from hockey. Can't wait to play! See you online in about a week and a half.

Bollux 08-20-2008 09:29 PM

anyone want a copy of sins of a solar empire. i tried to get into it after dling it and i just couldnt get into it.

Captain Tuttle 08-21-2008 11:04 AM

Star Wars Force Unleashed demo is available for download on Xbox Live and PSN. Not sure about the Wii and PC.

Captain Tuttle 08-30-2008 11:09 AM

Apparently you'll be able to go to the official Red Alert 3 website and you download a free copy of the original game tomorrow. It's 10 years old but still fun as hell.