View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Daddy

Default Body weight exercises

I'm getting back into the groove this year trying to get myself in shape. I want to be in the best shape of my life when I hit 40 this August...shouldn't be too hard.

I discovered the fab abs workout through my wife in January. It's Mai Lu a core strength workout that's supposed to supplement what one is already doing, but for weaklings like myself it gets pretty intense by itself. You start off with x number of push-ups, sit ups (I do crunches instead because of my back) and plank. It increases a bit each day so you go from I think 5 pushups to 30 by the end of January.

I was about there, then wrenched my shoulder shoveling snow last month. I'm back up to 25 push-ups as my goal by tomorrow. I modified it to do a certain number Monday, add one each day T-S, off Sunday, same number the next Monday as Saturday, repeat each week. If there are no more injuries, I'll be doing 100 on June 22. I'd call that the best shape of my life since I've never done more than 20 in a day before this year. After I reach that point, I plan to add sets of fewer reps with weight on my back while still doing 100 daily without weights.

I'm also doing pull ups and chin ups. I find with my lack of body strength, I can only do 2 and 4 respectively at one time, with increases usually measured in fractions of a pull up.

I need to find some good exercises for the legs. I find lunges helpful, both because sets of them really kick my ass, and being Catholic, they're pretty similar in form to genuflecting . But I know I'll need to step it up eventually. In the meantime, does anyone know any body weight type exercises that build both strength AND size in the legs? I know I'll eventually need weight, which I can't afford, but I figured I have to start somewhere.

King of a blended family - Three girls (23, 23, 20), three boys (19, 8, 6) and four angels who didn't make it ^i^ ^i^ ^i^ ^i^