View Single Post
  #379  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Kwak's Avatar
Kwak Kwak is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Allegheny county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,226
Default

I'm getting close to "closing the box" but have to get the angles and geometry right so that the thing will be playable. That radius I put in the rims isn't ideal for where the fretboard sits and the bracing in that area is actually flat so I have to level it out with a slight ramp. That's to allow for the height of the strings over the fretboard and the height of the bridge that will go on last.

For now, I need to find a way to clamp it all together and do "dry" fits. To do that, I needed to tweak the design on my go bar deck:



The existing pipe sections were too short so I bought 3' long threaded rods. I kept the pipe for extra rigidity and to offer protection from stuff rubbing against the threaded rods.



I also cut a section of bead board and screwed it to the underside of the roof of the deck. Then I went to Harbor Freight and got a couple sets of nylon wire running kits for $8 apiece (10 rods per kit) and trimmed them down to about 28". This is a cheaper alternative to a luthier supplier who charges $5 per nylon rod - a net savings of about $80. The beard board offers a means of locking the bar in so that it doesn't slip, because when they do it can be hazardous to your project - and your health!

PS: they also sell the go bar deck for $550. Mine cost well less than half that.

With that being said, I've still been using the top as a work surface for sanding. The increased height is actually easier on the back too! With a little trimming on the band saw I've been getting closer to getting everything to fit together the way it should.

__________________
Married to Kelly, 6/19/1999
SAHD since August, 2004
Father to Justin, 2/27/2004
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007

Last edited by Kwak; 08-07-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote