View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Daddy

This is the hardest thing. We all want to have everything and fast. I'd love to have drool-worthy body while being able to lift twice my body weight over my head while running a half marathon. It's a bit of an exaggeration, but having goals for size, strength, endurance, and flexibility will make it difficult to find a program that will allow for progression. Then we start to taper down our expectations evenly (I don't NEED a 6 pack, 1.5x instead of 2x my body weight will do, how about a 5k instead of a half marathon?).

It will help to prioritize your goals. For me, I made it strength. Everything else followed in consequence - I work on enough mobility to prevent injury, I've lost quite a bit of bodyfat from consistently working out, my cardio has gotten better, etc. But my only real goal was to get stronger each workout. Your goals certainly don't have to be strength, but if you stick to 1 and allow the other "sub-goals" to become consequences instead, you'll find it much easier to stick to.

Also, just throwing this out there - my long term goal is to stay fit enough so I can continue to play with (and protect) my daughter as she grows up. She gives me the most motivation.