Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Daddy Deals
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 AM
It's too quiet!

I get the distinct impression that anything sold in a Walmart is the cheapest version of that product. You might get it at a slightly lower price, but if you bought the same thing at a 'less extreme' store, it may be of a slightly better quality.

These vendors know they're going to get destroyed on price, but they know they are going to sell wads of the stuff. So, they cut back on the quality to make a profit at the "Walmart price", customer gets a "brand name" product, and Bentonville is happy. It's all good!

It really doesn't matter anymore. Pretty much everything sold these days is crap anyway. I break more stuff getting it out of the packaging, nevermind actually using it for more than an hour. I used to buy POS toys as a kid and I still got some that actually work.

I bought a $5 backpack for my daughter for camp and it didn't last 24 hours. Its a god damn sin. It's really gotten that bad. It would cost me that much in gas to go back to the store. But then again, the sign said - "All sales final".

So I guess you get what you pay for.....
Old 07-08-2008, 02:13 AM
old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
The main groceries at Woodmans,
Yes! Woodmans Rocks! Best selection and prices in our area. (Except for meat, that's a little pricey)
Old 07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Super Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffus View Post
These vendors know they're going to get destroyed on price, but they know they are going to sell wads of the stuff. So, they cut back on the quality to make a profit at the "Walmart price", customer gets a "brand name" product, and Bentonville is happy. It's all good!
I read an article that said that this is how Home Depot works. They will work with a manufacturer to create a special version of product that they sell only at HD. HD gets a low-priced "exclusive", and the manufacturer doesn't have to sabotage his sales at other places. So when you compare products you find at HD with those at another store, you have to be careful.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Don't lots of stores do that? It's like when you look for a washer/dryer at HD, Lowes, Sears and Best Buy. Seems like only a few of the stores have the same model. Lots of times it's very close, but off by a letter or something. Look the same...but are they? Probably. It would be too costly for them to build another line, instead of printing out a different model number label.

Just got back from Wallyworld myself. Dropped a buck fourty. Yikes! Making Mr. Wall Mart rich I am.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Super Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
Don't lots of stores do that?
Probably. But Home Depot and Walmart are much much more powerful. The article (this was a year ago, so who knows where I saw it) talked about how they really have the power to push manufacturers around quite a bit.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
It's too quiet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad View Post
....talked about how they really have the power to push manufacturers around quite a bit.
Oh yeah. What manufacturer wouldn't want to sell a bazillion units? Of course you could try to stick to you guns and face the very real possibility of selling 'nothing' comparably. So they slack off on the quality a tad, cut a few corners to eek out a mininal profit, and poof!

I've read articles that say Walmart tells the manufacturer what it costs to make their own product. They'll add a 'profit' and offer the deal. You decline at your own peril.

And then, once you sign, they put the screws on to get prices even lower.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 AM
sleep? whats that??

Send a message via Yahoo to scottishbeagle

I shop at Kroger because of the double/triple coupons

I never thought no money, no sleep, no time, and premature grey hairs would be so much fun
Old 07-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I shop at Kroger because they are union, pay better wages, and other reasons not related to prices. I've never been to a WM, and I don't intend to go. If it costs a bit more here or there, despite our low income, skimping a bit on the food costs to make it work is a small price to pay, imo.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Dr. Goldfoot

To keep this on topic, in my experience WalMart isn't any cheaper than going thru the weekly ads for other area grocers. I shop at Kroger (which is a behemoth in and of itself) and Marsh. I've price shopped at WalMart a few times over the years and while the milk may be 40 cents cheaper the frozen nuggets are a dollar more etc...

and now the off topic....

I've found a number of reasons to avoid shopping at WalMart. The least of which is price point.

The stores are much larger and a hell of a lot harder to keep maintained. Outdated items, broken packaging, out of stocks ( they do rely on their suppliers for this and will call a sales rep to restock before sending Steve from the backroom to do it), overall selection(especially store brands of ready to eat products like soda or snacks), cleanliness, employee knowledge of products etc...all mix into the equation.

Plus they're just evil. The reality of what happens to smaller communities after WalMart enters the area coupled with the treatment of employees, hiring practices, quality of durables....I'll stop there before I become one of those guys.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Daddy

Have we all forgotten the difference between PRICE and VALUE?

Walmart always sells on price.

I'm with Woodchuck, started buying from people I know (or have at least met).

Just taught Mackie how to prep and cook green beans from the farmers market the other day. The extra $3 over the cost of a can of beans entertained us for the afternoon and taught her a bit of history in how her great grandparents cooked. Money well spent.