Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Week 7 half in the bag.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:27 AM
CnJsdad

I read the program you guys are doing and it looks pretty good. I did something similar when I started. I would jog for a minute then walk for a minute for a mile. I would do that until I felt pretty good(took about a week). Then I would bump up the distance a 1/4 mile at a time. I would also bump up my running time and keep the walking time down to a minute.
I have been running for almost 4 years. Before that I was a couch potato. Now I train people to run 5k's ,10k's, half marathons and full marathons.
If anyone told me 4 years ago I would ever run a marathon, I would have pee'd my pants laughing at them.
So if anyone needs advice please feel free to ask.
Rolland
Old 08-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Beer me!

That's just it, too. If anyone told me I'd be able to jog 2.5 miles without much trouble ten years ago, I'd flick my cig at them. (Shhh don't tell my family.)
Old 08-09-2009, 05:00 AM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

Just got back from vacation today. Did my first road running in a repeat of week 3 and that was a mistake. The pounding on the road was a little too much for me. I was able to do two of the days, but Wednesday after running I was rather tender in the knees and had the joy of walking down rough terrain all day and now my knees are REALLY SORE! I should be good by Monday for my week 4 on the Hamster Wheel... When I lose a bit more weight I will go back to the road or when I get much further along in the program.

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Beer me!

Darth, if you haven't already, get fitted for running shoes. I wish I had done it weeks ago. What an incredible difference. Also, if you've been running on the treadmill exclusively, take to the street slowly.

I'm happy running at the gym with the kid care and tv's to watch, the steam at the end of the run is a major plus for me too. That's just me though.

Week eight coming up!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
CnJsdad

I'm happy running at the gym with the kid care and tv's to watch, the steam at the end of the run is a major plus for me too. That's just me though.

Week eight coming up![/QUOTE]

Does running in the park at 100 degrees and about 95% humidity count as a steam bath?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Beer me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnJsdad View Post

Does running in the park at 100 degrees and about 95% humidity count as a steam bath?
I'm all about climate control! Man, I'd step outside say "nope" and go back in!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:12 PM
CnJsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
I'm all about climate control! Man, I'd step outside say "nope" and go back in!
If your training for a race or just better general condisioning it is good to run in real hot weather. Just make sure you take a break if needed and drink a ton of water. I am running a half marathon in 13 days and have been taining all summer in the hot weather for it. I do run at 6am but it is still 85 degrees.