Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 AM
What? Why? Why? What?

Frittatas, quiche, clafoutis, salad, bake some stuff and freeze it. Custards, soufles.....
Old 08-13-2009, 07:04 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn74 View Post
I'd forgotten about the Dutch Baby. I'll have to give that a shot. It looks.... nutritious. Do you eat it straight up? It looks like it would be good with yogurt.
Man, what a treat. If I made six of those a week, I wouldn't have an egg problem. It's like a dessert form of Yorkshire Pudding. I shared it with Duncan when we got home from errands today. I hope that eating it with yogurt balanced out the sugar and butter.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Cleaner upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn74 View Post
Man, what a treat. If I made six of those a week, I wouldn't have an egg problem. It's like a dessert form of Yorkshire Pudding. I shared it with Duncan when we got home from errands today. I hope that eating it with yogurt balanced out the sugar and butter.
I haven't tried it with any toppings yet, but a little yogurt or jam sounds good. I know a squeeze of lemon or powdered sugar is traditional.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Super Duper Daddy

1 coffee cup, scramble an egg in it, micro wave for 1 munute, slap in on a piece of toast, bagel, muffin or in a tortilla. Easy, fast and kids even eat it.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Cleaner upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministermatt View Post
1 coffee cup, scramble an egg in it, micro wave for 1 munute, slap in on a piece of toast, bagel, muffin or in a tortilla. Easy, fast and kids even eat it.
Man, that just made me want to hurl

Might have to try it out of curiosity though....
Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Custom User Title

French toast is the way to go with a bunch of eggs that need to be gone! YUM!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
It's beer:30!

I posted this in the recipe section a long time ago. For some reason I couldnt just link it, so I copied and pasted. Tastiest egg dish you will ever have.

Stirred Eggs with Salmon, Fontina, and Chives

Guys here is an awesome egg recipe, try it tomorrow for your wives. She wont know what hit her or what got into you. It looks complicated but it's not, it's just a kicked up version of scrambled eggs.

Ingredients:

- eggs (I figure 2-3 person)
- couple tablespoons of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbls butter
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese (it comes in wedges, you'll have to shred it)
- smoked salmon (buy the kind that comes in the vacuum sealed pouches, it's thinly sliced), chop it up into small pieces (cutting it with scissors works too)
- a couple strands of chives, finely chopped (found in plastic containers in the produce)

Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper togther, just like making scrambled eggs. Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet over low-medium heat, pour in eggs and stir continuously. Lots of stirring ensures fluffy and creamy eggs, not the chunky spongy kind. I'm always tweaking the heat so they dont cook too fast. Keep stirring!

As curds start to form add your cheese and salmon, continue stirring to mix in everything. Add the chives, stirring.

Garnish with a few longer sprigs of chives. Serve warm.

* if you get it just right they will be very creamy, they might look runny but trust me, they aren't runny. It's just a lot of moisture, cheesiness, and fluffiness from all the stirring.
* for those who dont like salmon, prosciutto works great too.

Last edited by Cubfan; 08-14-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Chef Dad

try making creme brulees, egg bakes, omletes, quiches, cakes, lemon bars, fried rice, make your own ice cream. Just a thought!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:50 AM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Dad View Post
try making creme brulees, egg bakes, omletes, quiches, cakes, lemon bars, fried rice, make your own ice cream. Just a thought!
Creme Brulee is a thought. We've had loads and loads of custards already this summer. We're just not an egg eating family right now. I might have to do some AB things and start freezing whites and yolks for winter. Of the ten I boiled for my wife, there are still at least six remaining. Disappointing. I even ate one, and I can't stand them. I'm making a massive egg bake in the morning that should use 14 or 16 eggs, whatever's left from the current carton plus one dozen.

But that only gets me back to minus one dozen. I gave away last week's dozen and we've still got one half of a shelf in the fridge filled with eggs, and I need to keep up the pace. We don't eat quiche and although I'd like to make an occasional fritatta or omelet or even french toast, it's a lot of work for our tiny kitchen and the appreciation for the effort just isn't there. My wife is spoiled. But I'm just complaining. I appreciate the suggestions, really I do.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 AM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Here's what I'm doing in the morning:

2 zucchini/squash (1 yellow, 1 green), 1 medium onion, 1 bulb garlic, 6 small bell peppers, 1 Hungarian wax pepper, 2 jalapeņo peppers, 3 forgotten variety hot peppers (tiny and red), handful of basil (green and purple), handful of sage, three Roma tomatoes, two "beefsteak" tomatoes, two handfuls of cherry tomatoes, 14-18 eggs, 1 loaf of challah, odds and ends of some wheat sandwich bread, shredded mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper, 1 pound breakfast sausage, 1 pound of bacon, some milk and two dozen eggs, maybe less.

The veg, minus tomatoes, are chilling in the fridge. I chopped them up and cooked them down in cast iron, nice and slow. I made a challah loaf and it will be ready for dicing in the morning. So the veg and bread get mixed up with the meat as soon as it's cooked and crumbled. Then it's going to be covered by the egg and milk mixture. Maybe mixed up again. Then covered with mozzarella, and baked at 350 F for an hour to 90 minutes. It's going into a big aluminum foil tray we have left from a party. It has a lid, so I can take it to this party tomorrow and leave it for someone else to take home or compost. Maybe the host will reheat it at church on Sunday. That would be appropriate, I think.

So, there go two dozen. six more to go.