Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Big_Dawg

Default Help With Rice Recipe

I decided to add rice in my childrens diets. I have never had it as a side before sence I was a kid.

All I remember is that rice is plain and strange. I know my children will think the same thing unless I get creative.

Can anyone please give me some ideas on a recipe for it or maybe ingredients I can add to keep them interested?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
It's beer:30!

I have(had) a recipe for Cilantro Lime Rice. Friggin delicious. I cant find it, but its so easy I just wing it.

Get some regular ole long grain white rice. Cook it with low-sodium chicken broth (instead of water). When its just about done cooking, toss in some chopped cilantro and the juice of a lime. I zest the lime and add the shavings. Serve it with some fish and you might as well be in the tropics.

Once I even used lite coconut milk instead of the chicken broth and that is over-the-top creamy!

EDIT - I think I found it. I had it clipped from a magazine, but this looks to be the electronic version.

Last edited by Cubfan; 07-22-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/rice-recipes

Simple brown rice can be a marvelous thing. It's got a texture that bursts open and a nutty flavor. But you need to get good rice and spend the time. It also has a shelf life because it has the good stuff in it. White rice is good for making beer in a cereal mash and that's about it. Although I don't think I've seen an all-grain risotto, come to think of it.

The Good Eats Episode to look for is "Do the Rice Thing."
Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Strongbad

Ok the 1st thing I'll tell you is go out a purchase a rice cooker. I know I know you can cook it on the stove. But trust me rice on the stove or in the oven will not come out as consistanly as a 30 buck rice cooker.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5871077

Here is 8 cup cooker so will cook 16 total after cooking. I'd get one this big because they have a steamer tray on the top you can steam chicken breast while you cook your rice and cand have chicken and rice easy as pie (use Kroger ot tyson boneless chicken breast frozen is fine). With the smaller ones you can only cook 2 cups of rice and steam something. With one like this you can cook 4 cups (8 cups cooked) and still steam veggies and chicken or other meat.

you can also take one of these cookers and drop in some black beans and they will cook right with the rice to make black beans or Chili beans and rice. We have Black beans rice and corn with a cup of salsa in in as a kinda tex-mex rice side dish that is great. It all cooks right in the same pot with the rice. Add a chicken to that and you have a main dish.

Often times I'll just throw the rice and a pack of dry onion or chicken soup mix in with the rice to flavor it (or Bollion powder) and bang you have a nice side.

We eat rice a lot and a rice cooker takes all the guess work out and for 30 bucks you can not beat it.

Hope this helped just a little.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/dining/01rice.html

http://www.sallyskitchen.com/

Last edited by Strongbad; 10-14-2009 at 06:50 PM.