Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 02:45 PM
SAHD to RN

Default alternate re-heating methods...

Our microwave has been on the fritz for a few months now. It'll shut off sporadically after a few seconds and has to be reset (time, date, etc). It doesn't happen all the time, but the majority so that it is definitely not reliable. I have on my 'to do' list to contact a repairman, but after blowing $450 on fixing the upper wall oven, I'm in no rush to make that appointment.

So in the meantime I've found different ways to heat/re-heat things, and quite honestly I like it better. Ever since being cautioned 'way back when' to not stand in front of the microwave while it's on I've been leery of it (although it didn't stop me from using it).

But since this thing has been on the fritz I've been using the toaster oven more, as well as being creative with the stove top. For example, last night the kids were begging for left over spaghetti, and wanted meatballs (we have some frozen).

Rather than baking the meatballs for 20min in the oven, I took out a big pan, heated it up with a little bit of chicken stock and put them in there. I put the lid on there so as the stock wouldn't dissipate so quickly, but kept adding a little more as it did. Once those thawed/heated up, I took them out and threw the leftover spaghetti from the fridge into the pan, added more stock and heated it up that way. It added a new dimention of flavor to the dish.

Just something to consider if you find yourself using the microwave a little too much.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 01-29-2010, 03:36 PM
"Not Willsdad"

For me the stove top is the ONLY way to make leftover spaghetti. It's great. A bit of olive oil, then fry it up. It's so much better than when you first eat it. Seriously. Mmmm. Sorry about your nuker. That sucks. Didn't you get a home warranty when you bought the new place? Call them and have them fix it. That's what it's for.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:37 PM
It's beer:30!

Dude microwave food sucks. I would much rather fire up the oven or stove and wait 20 minutes for some toastiness than to nuke food into a soggy mess. Toaster ovens are great, but we just dont have the room for another 'big' appliance.

Earlier in the week I made a huge heap of my shredded pork for tacos and stuff. Instead of nuking it, I just put a bunch in a skillet and heat it up
Old 01-29-2010, 03:51 PM
SAHD to RN

Yeah, this has definitely made me realize how much I was relying on the radioactive box to re-heat stuff. Not for cooking, mind you...just re-heating.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 01-29-2010, 04:11 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
Dude microwave food sucks. I would much rather fire up the oven or stove and wait 20 minutes for some toastiness than to nuke food into a soggy mess. Toaster ovens are great, but we just dont have the room for another 'big' appliance.

Earlier in the week I made a huge heap of my shredded pork for tacos and stuff. Instead of nuking it, I just put a bunch in a skillet and heat it up
When I re-heat my pulled pork I admit I do it in the microwave. I just add a touch of water and bam. It turns out great actually.

I bought a brisket today at the Teeter. May do it this weekend if it's not too snowy.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Just glad to be here

Same here. Ours died last week, and a new one's on order. We've been joking about how much we relied on the nuker, and how we enjoy "roughing" it. Mostly we used it for reheating things, too.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

I reheat most things in the toaster oven with the convection fan and prefer heating things that way. Last night I tried to reheat spaghetti by giving it a quick steam and it came out better than I expected. Thought it might make it too soggy. I reheated the sauce and meatballs in a pot slowly. so that I wouldn't burn it. Tasted as good as it did the night before.

A friend did tell me once to reheat cold fries in the microwave and then throw them in the oven or toaster oven to crisp them up a bit. Tried it a few times and it worked ok.