Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

31 pounds! Man, how many people do you have over?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post
I'm all for a good stuffing recipe. This year is going to be my first cooking the bird so I'm trying to get as prepared as I can be.

Nothing wrong with a little basting. I have mine covered so basting really don't do anything to it. Just makes a nice golden crispy skin. Yum. Take off the cover near the end to brown up. Moist every time.

Stuffing
I like making this stuffing. It's my favorite. It's how my mom made it for the last 30 years. Take a loaf of bread or loaf and a half. Depends on the bird. Even 2. Just depends how much you want and how much the bird can hold. If you have a Bjorn turkey would could use 15 loaves I'd reckon. Too much isn't good though. Don't totally overstuff the crap out of it.

Chop up about 3/4 stalks of celery. I talk the stalk and cut it in like 4 strips or so and then in little pieces. Buy a package of mushrooms (totally up to you on how many...I like lots so I use the whole package) and chop them them up. I use one of those hand chopper things. Then cut up 1/2 to a whole onion. I love onion so use plenty. Even more than 1. Every family is different. Totally up to you. That's about it for veggies. Oh and the bread I like to be a tad stale. Not fresh and soft. So I let it sit out for a bit before breaking it up into pieces. Anyways, mix the veggies with the bread. Add a can of Campbell's creme of mushroom soup to it and mix it up. Salt, pepper and poultry seasoning to taste. Lots of it for me, but only add to taste. It actually tastes pretty good cold so make sure you taste it to determine if you want more salt or pepper or poultry seasoning. I do use the whole can of soup. I'd add the salt and pepper first to get the flavor your family would like, then add the poultry seasoning to how you like it. That's about it. I'm sure you can tweak and add other things as you like. My kids love it, I love it and my wife knows it's better than her moms. Hope you like it if you try it. Let me know.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

I usually just buy the croutons in a bag (I'm partial to the potato bread kind) and also use the celery and onions chopped up and sauteed . I cook up some breakfast sausage and mix that it along with chopped up roasted chestnuts. Instead of a soup I use chicken broth and poultry seasoning. Mix it all together. Eat it alone or accompanied with your favorite Thanksgiving treats for a food coma. It is my favorite part of the meal.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Hey HF, the stuffing recipe went over great! Everyone loved it. Cooked half of it in the bird, then mixed it back in with the other half and heated it all up. We had a small bird so couldn't fit a huge amount of stuffing in it, but fit in all I could. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:07 AM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post
Hey HF, the stuffing recipe went over great! Everyone loved it. Cooked half of it in the bird, then mixed it back in with the other half and heated it all up. We had a small bird so couldn't fit a huge amount of stuffing in it, but fit in all I could. Thanks!
Glad you liked it. Was hoping I didn't type all that for nothing.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:16 AM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will'sdad View Post
31 pounds! Man, how many people do you have over?
Well, not enough. That was what we got when we checked "medium" or "large" on the CSA order form. There were larger.

I usually smoked it and vaccuum sealed half of it for later. That was nice to have in February.