Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 PM
steve@home

Does it help him? I have read how it helps. I just wondered if it REALLY does at all.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:48 PM
steve@home

Does it help your 9 y/o? I have read how it does, but I don't know that as a fact. My oldest son has ADHD, and I want to start him on the diet to see if it REALLY does help or not.

What issues do you have with the diet? I will help anyway I can. I have been Gluten free for 2 years and only messed up one time. I know so many good ways to make stuff to eat too.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I've got an autistic 8 year old who was on the GFCF and soy-free diet for 2 years. It didn't reduce his hyperactivity or increase his focus all that much, but in my experience every kid is different and other things need to be done in conjunction with any "miracle cure." FWIW it did seem to aid his digestion and it seems to have gotten worse since we took him off it and really didn't put anything in its place - that's my fault. I'd love to go back on the GFCFSF diet but my wife has been extremely resistant - since she's the one who pushed to take him off it in the first place. My argument is that "traditional" methods (namely behavioral therapy and medication) have been ineffective as well (because we haven't been consistent about following our therapists' advice and med trials have not been done within a "controlled" environment) so that he's currently been admitted into a psychological hospital for violent, destructive and self-injurious behaviors.

May you never get to that point. Personally I'd try EVERYTHING before getting to that point, but you REALLY have to argue your case if you truly believe in things and you can't try them half-@$$ed. Like I said, I did try "The Diet" along with a lot of other things - up to a point mind you - but once kids reach a certain age it's real easy to be outweighed by the "experts."

I say give it a try but be consistent and proceed carefully and gradually and be sure that there's a physical need if at all possible. My argument was always based on digestion and absorption since he's never been potty trained and we can see what effects certain foods have on our son's bowel movements.

Start by reducing dairy intake as a LOT of people have sensitivities to that - but be sure to find another method of giving him calcium. After a couple of weeks try cutting back on the wheat - which is actually easy if you're OK with using rice-based products as grains. Soy was tough but it can be done if you don't buy into the whole popular "less protein is better" belief. That fallacy is based on the belief that more protein = higher cholesterol. Some kids actually NEED cholesterol to build neural tissue. DHA Omega 3 is also something I'd look into for that purpose.

Another thing that I'd cut out is anything made with food coloring in it - particularly Red 40. It's been reputed to increase hyperactivity. It's in EVERYTHING though - from kid's treats like gummie bears to cough and cold medicine. There's stuff out there without it if you look around.

Sorry I couldn't provide better advice but I'm kind of at my limit. All I can really say is that if you believe in it then try it, but if you're not 100% - then DON'T.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Certified Shit remover

Our 8.5 y/o has only been the diet this time around for 3 weeks, he is having less digestive issues and seems a lot more engaged at school.

Alex 11 Autistic-Seizure Disorder-Shawn 10 -Brendin 7-John- 6 Autistic/ADD
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 AM
steve@home

I know, for me, that when I started the diet, I could do more. I couldn't sit down and read a book, which I do often now. I never knew if I was going to get "sick". I had issues with talking faster then I could think. I'm not a fast talker, I just stumbled my words often.

Now that I have cut all Glutens out of my diet, I can do so much more then I could before. It took about 8 months for me to get into the swing of things. After I went Gluten free I had many health issues. I had to start taking a daily vitamin (liquid form, for a better absorption rate), probiotics, and omphrazole to help acids in my stomach. But with all that, I feel better.

There is a whole plethora of issues that can come from having a Gluten intolerance and NOT being on the diet.

After two years of researching all this, I have realized one thing,....America eats junk, and way to much of it. FDA approved wood dust in most fast foods now, pounds of sugar daily, nothing with nutrition anymore. I truly believe you get out, what you put in.

Tags
celiacs, gluten