Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Paracord Bracelets. Made in the USA!

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Advice from Dads for Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Tallen234

Default Advice on a newborn and Toddler.....

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just had a little girl 6 weeks ago. I "work" from home and have been taking care of the boy (2 years old). My work load has voluntarily decreased, so I am primarily a stay at home dad right now. I have pretty much figured him out, but now we have a new one in the picture. Does anyone have any advice for how to manage the two of them? He is a pretty good natured toddler, but he has shown some signs of jealously (wanting up on my lap when I am holding the baby, etc.). Any insight of advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Have him help. Make sure he knows his bounds or set him straight. Have both of them on you. IT's' not too hard. Just roll with it.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Certified Shit remover

Set boundries, and have him help as well as try to spend as much one on one time with him when the lil one is asleep. Baby gates are key as willsdad said. expect meltdowns over attention towards the baby.

Alex 10 Autistic-Seizure Disorder-Shawn 8 -Brendin 6-John-4 Autistic/ADD

Last edited by Porschephile; 03-26-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: edit post
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Have a safe place that you can put him when you have to deal with the baby...a Super Play Yard, safe room with a gate or something similar.

As for the jealousy, yeah, maybe have him help? Also do some stuff with just him on the weekends when the wife is home.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

I only have one, so maybe my advice is null. Be sure that there is an ordained "boy" time for you and the 2yo. No baby, just the 2yo and you. That way he doesn't feel left out. Ask him to help carry things for you or bring you diapers etc.

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson
Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Career SAHD

To add to these good ideas, one thing I did was have our oldest go to the store and pick out a stuffed animal for his new little brother. He picked out a little version of an animal he had and gave it to him. Still have good memories of that a decade later.

And as HF said, I'd think a lap would be big enough for both. Enjoy, and congrats on the work scale back!