Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Paracord Bracelets. Made in the USA!

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Tech Tips
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

That is cooler than shit. I just installed it on my phone and tested it. Works!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
A failing phone would be my guess.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
I love these. You are the KING. The King I tell ya.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Super Duper Daddy

You guys crack me up with your toys. Let me jump up on my soap box...

Since I have to pretty much get a note from God to get an iPad to use for Justin I decided to look for some communication and visual scheduling apps for my Android phone. Here's what I came up with:

JABtalk - a pretty cool alternative to the PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System) velcro-backed cards that we've been trying to use for the past several years. Those damned little cards always seemed to disappear or get ripped or something. This app is pretty versatile. You set up the categories, type in the text as you want it to sound and even add the pictures you want to display - not some canned clip art. You can even record your own voice if you don't want to use the computer voice.

First Then Visual Schedule - this app allows you to illustrate a schedule of events with images and display the items in a linear fashion. For kids like Justin who need routine to function without having MAJOR temper tantrums this should come in handy, though I haven't taken the app through its paces yet; I have yet to set it up.

Easy Kid Tokens - this app is pretty much a way to bribe your kid with a token exchange system. This is great for kids with ADHD who can't visualize the reward when they're being asked to do things to earn it. This is also useful for kids with communication issues who need a picture of the reward - yeah, you can actually select the picture from your device or download it from the internet. Another thing I like about it is that you can select the image type for the tokens and the number of tokens needed to attain the reward, then you can drag and drop each token into the box. When they're all placed you get to choose the tune the app will play - though the typical fanfare "ta da!" is good enough IMO.

another app I tried that seemed to be a bust is DiegoSaysPro. JABtalk blows it away because in this app there are only a certain number of items to choose from and they have generic photos and canned vocalizations. That plus there are only three main categories: "I want", "I feel" (emotion) and "I am going." I'm a little disappointed since I had to pay $10 for it when JABtalk (which I discovered afterwards) was free.

I also downloaded an app called "Behavior Status" which allows you to track your child's mood swings through the assignment of a traffic signal image that has red, yellow or green light statuses. Every time there's a significant change in mood you're supposed to add an event - but I don't see how I'm going to be able to do that when Justin goes from green to red. I sure as hell am NOT going to pull my phone out of my pocket when he goes from sitting calmly to banging the side of his head off the window because something set him off.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Fooducate is nice. Scan barcodes, food is given a grade/info and healthier alternatives are suggested if needed.

HurricaneHD is fun, though I'm nowhere close to the sea.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Google Maps is back on iPhone teehee

http://googleblog.blogspot.com.au/20...or-iphone.html

Schadenfreude at it's best

Edit: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...585027354?mt=8

Last edited by Captain Tuttle; 12-13-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Linky linky
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Nice. They fixed google map! Now ill have 2 choices. I love the one my phone has now though. Not sure ill waste the space for googles version. At least it's there and improved.

What is the BEST $200 tablet? Or should I send the extra $130 and get the iPad mini?

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
Nice. They fixed google map! Now ill have 2 choices. I love the one my phone has now though. Not sure ill waste the space for googles version. At least it's there and improved.

What is the BEST $200 tablet? Or should I send the extra $130 and get the iPad mini?
Nexus 7, without a doubt. Save that $130 and put it towards the Xbox 720 (it's coming out next year, you know).
http://www.google.com/nexus/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-review/

Last edited by Captain Tuttle; 12-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Super Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
Nexus 7, without a doubt. Save that $130 and put it towards the Xbox 720 (it's coming out next year, you know).
http://www.google.com/nexus/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-review/
I've got a lot of the Apple stuff too, and love my iPad, but I played with a friends Nexus 7 and was damn impressed. I could easily use one of those, and at that price it's the best deal out there.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Tune In Radio
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n.player&hl=en

Radio stations that broadcast over the Internet, listening to Villanova's radio station right now, good stuff