Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Paracord Bracelets. Made in the USA!

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Living in Zin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
Do you recommend the book? I like learning more about that time.

My Great, Great (5 or 6 Generations, whatever that makes it) Grandfather was John Hancock's clerk and worked closely (middle management?) with Paul Revere. After Revere returned from his infamous ride, Great, Great,etc, Grandfather John Lowell grabbed Revere and said "Dude, Hancock's trunk containing all the war documents is still in Buckman's Tavern. If they capture that trunk, we will all surely hang for treason. We've got to go get it".

So Lowell and Revere ran over to Buckman's Tavern and carried the trunk back across Boston Commons as the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" rang out in the background. They hid out with it in the swamps and forest all night as the Red Coats marched by.
I Do recommend this book! So much more perspective than learned in high school. EXAMPLE: Discussions of what was the situation in parliament at the time, power struggles, politics of the times. What was really happennig to the citzens of colonial America? Why weren't the same policies put in place in other colonies? Etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished the latest Biography of Amelia Earhart by Kathleen Winters. I would like to apologize in advance in case HF has already read this book and not posted aboot it. Winters is an accomplished female pilot who was always in awe of AE. She came to learn that AE was not quite the great female aviator that she was portrayed and promoted as back in the day. Many of her accomplishments were exaggerated and she was not quite as proficient a pilot as numerous other woman pilots of her time. In the end her lack of total flying hours, skills, like not even knowing Morse code and how to operate her radios completely, along with her casual efforts made in regards to flight plans and carrying safety equipment on board probably did her in.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Living in Zin

I saw recently on the tele, they found remains about 5 yrs later on an island nearby the flight plan, but were unable to properly identify, like a hair clip, a tin can, a shoe sole , and a finger bone.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I saw recently on the tele, they found remains about 5 yrs later on an island nearby the flight plan, but were unable to properly identify, like a hair clip, a tin can, a shoe sole , and a finger bone.
The book did not go into any later searches beyond a month or after she went missing. The book did point out that AE did not update her navigation maps before the flight. Turns out the spit of land she needed to find was incorrectly marked 5-6 miles off of it's proper location that was corrected on the newer maps. Details, details, details!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "The Lone Assassin". by Helmut Ortner. Originally published in German in 1993 and just released in English in 2012. The true story of the 29th(!!) assignation attempt on Hitler at the hands of a very simple man named George Elser. The loner carpenter was only 12 minutes away from killing Hitler with a bomb he planted in a German Beer Hall and changing World history. Hitler gave a shorter speech than expected and was spared. Total dumb luck on Hitler's side. Hitler's henchmen spent 5 years trying to get Elser to admit to a conspiracy plot with England through torture but he never wavered from immediately admitting he alone carried out the plot after being caught by a stroke of bad luck. He was shot dead just 20 days before the U.S. took control of the Dachau concentration camp he was put in. Only in the last 10 years or so has Germany regarded him as a hero.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Always Irritated

I had two mandatory readings Mockingbird and where Things Come Back, I liked Mockingbird, it's about seeing through the eyes of a girl with Autism, Where Things Come Back sucked though.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Super Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

My reading has been pretty one dimensional lately. Last 4 books I read were IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale, For the Love of Hops, Brewing with Wheat, and Farmhouse Ales. Though I do have a couple fiction books just waiting to be read. One of my friends self-published a novel I want to check out and see what it's all about.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Always Irritated

Chasing Vermeer, it's a kids book I had to read for class, but it was really good.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Always Irritated

From the mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Another kids book, cute story though. About two kids who runaway and live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. My daughter also read it and convinced her six year old brother they had to rescue someone in CA, he asked for airfare, and was upset when I said we couldn't go to CA. He even had the map out.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Wherever I Wind Up". The autobiography of former Mets knuckleballer R A Dickey. A great story of perseverance and determination. After winning 20 games last year for the Mets he is now on the Blue Jays. I am going to make a point of watching as many of his starts as possible.