Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > New to Site - Just Saying Hello
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 PM
New Daddy

Default New to this site, New to being a Dad (SAHD)

Hey guys,
Just testing this out here. New Dad, 41years old and all of the sudden a stay at home dad for the most part. I work a few nights in the restaurant business while my wife's job is currently the priority. I've had my own successful photography business and I am currently working on rebuilding in the area where we up rooted. I find it super challenging to balance my day with taking care of my 3 month old son and work,keep my sanity, etc. I read a lot of books, online articles about what to expect etc. But would love some outlook on how to entertain my son and schedule his day while still having time to get my work done at home from my home office My son is actually a really good baby (thank god) but there are those days he gets my blood boiling when he's super fussy and crying on level 10. Any advice is totally welcome. Thanks for your time!
Old 07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Trophy Husband

Hi and welcome.

I believe you will find the answers to most of your questions by yourself on your own. And once you figure the answer out the kid will change it up on you. Lots of good advice here as well.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Welcome to the site!

I think the best way to make time is to try and get into a strict routine (at least as strict as possible) ha-ha. It's tough but I think you'll find it making your life easier
Old 07-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Trying to recall 3 months old. Awake for 3 hrs, sleeps for 3 hrs? Baby bouncer on the table, baby swing. long baby carriage walks. You can still go fishing with the baby off the bank.
Good manuals: What to expect ....(Laura numeroff)
Dr Harvey Karp:Happiest baby on the block..followed by happiest toddler on the block.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Just Dad

Welcome to the site. I'll echo some of the suggestions already given.

A schedule or routine is paramount. We have twins, and once we realized the importance of the schedule, we were able to plan and function better.

Dr. Harvey Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block. We found a DVD version at our local library that was very helpful. The swaddling and white noise were probably the biggest help in those first few months. The swaddling really helped them start sleeping through the night. Ours are approaching 3 and the white noise is still a huge help.

We use black-out curtains for the kids' rooms for naps and bedtimes when there is still light outside. It also seems to help them sleep-in a little better.

Get a jogging stroller and hit the road or park early before it gets hot outside. You'll both enjoy the walk.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Super Daddy

Harvey Karp was a life-saver for our first one... a bit colicky and a total fussy baby... The 5 "S"'s came in handy...

Oh, and welcome!
Old 07-10-2015, 03:28 AM
Career SAHD

Welcome! I thought before our first was born I'd do some small home improvement projects for people and bring him along. Didn't take long to realize it wasn't possible. My solution was to do the SAHD thing whole hog, and not try to do other stuff. I know it's a struggle financially for some, but we've made it work. Taking care of kids is almost always more than parents figure on.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub74Dad View Post
Hey guys,
Just testing this out here. New Dad, 41years old and all of the sudden a stay at home dad for the most part. I work a few nights in the restaurant business while my wife's job is currently the priority. I've had my own successful photography business and I am currently working on rebuilding in the area where we up rooted. I find it super challenging to balance my day with taking care of my 3 month old son and work,keep my sanity, etc. I read a lot of books, online articles about what to expect etc. But would love some outlook on how to entertain my son and schedule his day while still having time to get my work done at home from my home office My son is actually a really good baby (thank god) but there are those days he gets my blood boiling when he's super fussy and crying on level 10. Any advice is totally welcome. Thanks for your time!
Welcome!

You've already got a lot on your plate. Make sure to get your rest. It sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends. Take it easy and enjoy your kid.

I did something similar when I first started out. I'm convinced it competed with my son's interests.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 07-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Diaper Jockey

Welcome to the site! We had a baby boy join our 3 year old daughter on June 1. Our daughter is an attention hound so it's been interesting adding a newborn to the mix. Deep breaths when the little one pushes you to the edge.

Tags
#new #dailyentertainment