Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Diaper Jockey

Default College Football Playoff

First rankings came out last night - 1 and 2 from the SEC (Georgia and Alabama), 3 Independent (Notre Dame), and 4 ACC (Clemson). So you have 3 of the "Power 5" conferences (Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 10) unrepresented.

I shared my thoughts last year - Go to a 6 team playoff. Winners of the Power 5 and an at large bid. Seed them 1-6. Top 2 ranked get byes. Let's go!

The only path to the playoff for Wisconsin would be going 13-0 with a win over Ohio State or Penn State in the Big Ten Championship game. And even then many are saying it wouldn't be enough to jump a 1 or 2 loss SEC team - or even Oklahoma if they win out. I firmly believe Wisconsin will lose 1 game, probably to Iowa, that will make it a moot point. But it would be ridiculous to exclude an undefeated Big Ten champ. Whoever that may be.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 11-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Beach Daddy

I completely agree with you on the six. Could even go to eight- Winners of each P5 conference, highest ranked out of the Group of 5 and 2 at large. Committee rankings would still matter for the at large.

This year I think if Notre Dame wins out they have a spot. The winner of the SEC has one. I just can't see them leaving out an undefeated Big Ten champ. Doesn't help Wisconsin that there schedule isn't exactly that tough. No hard out of conference game and no highly ranked big ten team.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

A 6 or 8 team playoff would be good as it could help eliminate a lot of the “how do a couple one loss teams jump an undefeated”, and then you get in to strength of schedule and perceived strength of conference junk.

Though after this weekends craziness I expect Miami to be sitting in the top 4, and as of right now I feel Wisconsin should be as well. Lots of teams were happy to see Auburn win as that pretty much puts a nail in 2 SEC teams making the playoffs.