Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2006, 03:08 AM
Daddy

Default Barbecue Sauce

Here's my "recipe" for some prett good barbecue sauce. Please note that it is never quite the same twice... I'll also preface this by saying my wife always got a little nervous when I started cooking. "What are we having," she'd ask. THen I'd say, "I don't know" and start pawing through the cupboards, smelling and tasting things. I have only used a cookbook for cakes, and have absolutely no idea what I am doing, but everyone likes it.

Put a bit of oil in a small sauce pan or skillet. I use Olive oil, but have also used grapeseed oil. Lots of antioxidants... When the oil is warmed up, start throwing in spices. Whatever you have. I have not confirmed this with anyone official, but I think you apt to get the flavor out of the spices better by first cooking it in a smidgen of the oil. I could be totally wrong though. Fresh squeezed garlic is a must. Lots of pepper, some basil (fresh if you got it) oregano. Nothing too weird. Nutmeg and ginger should be used very sparingly I've found.

Start the actual sauce with some regular barbecue sauce, or ketchup. I notice it's a bit sweeter with ketchup, plus listening to Prarie Home Companion has convinced me that ketchup is the answer to many problems...

Next dump a bunch of vinegar in, white or cider doesn't matter. Also, feel free to dump in any soy or worstechire sauce you might be trying to get rid of. We don't use it at all in my house after I used it up in BBQ sauces.

When things are thoroughly mixed up in there, dump the spices/oil mixture in. Thicken or thin to your own specs. I like runny sauce, so I don't go to heavy on the ketchup or BBQ sauce.

Sweeten it up a bit with brown sugar and/or honey. I couldn't understand one night why pork chops tasted so terrible unti I realized I'd forgotten this step.

I know mine is done when it tastes rather sweet, but burns my nose when I put my face over the pot and smell.

I'll post an Alfredo recipe when I've got it at least as consistent as my BBQ sauce. I got it real good once...
Old 08-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

i've made some bbq sauce as well. It is true that it never quite comes out the same every time you make it. I tend to add some kick to mine with crushed red pepper or a few dashes of habanero sauce as well as liquid smoke to give it that hickory flavoring. I definitely lean towards ketchup as its a great starting base, alot of the times the packages bbq sauces already have a distinct flavoring and I don't want it to alter the flavors i throw in. Molases also adds a different dimension for flavor. =)

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson
Old 08-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Daddy

Oh, I forgot to say molasses. Sometimes I put that in too, when I'm out of brown sugar and can get the cover off the jar. I am meticulous about washing off the jar top and lid when I get done with the molasses, but sometimes there is still some I missed, which becomes Liquid Nails...
Old 08-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

heat the jar lid under hot water, it should make the hardened mole-asses become pliable again and open the jar.

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson