Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
Tell that to my friends who are now drinking all my homebrew and not bringing anything over to contribute!!
Hide the good stuff and go and get a few cases of Milwaukee's Best and poor it into your own bottles. When they whine tell them you had to cut back on using the good ingredients because of the expense. :p

Growing up we lived on a dead end street and would have a block party every 3-4 weeks from about Easter to Halloween. It was always a pot-luck type of affair. We would supply drinks in the form of ice tea. (We had two of those large 5 gallon insulated water buckets like you see at construction sites). We would also supply a grill and would set up two large tables to hold the food. We had two neighbors who acted as co-hosts and one would provide hot dogs and buns, the other the paper plates and cups. Everyone else would bring side dishes and lawn chairs.

As far as games went we (the 3 hosts) would set up a volley ball net, and bring out a basketball hoop and set up a horseshoe game.

The newest sci-fi site in town www.colessfa.com
Old 04-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Certified Shit remover

What about an iron chef bbq cookoff. The sahd who lived a few houses down wanting to do something like that.

Alex 11 Autistic-Seizure Disorder-Shawn 10 -Brendin 7-John- 6 Autistic/ADD
Old 04-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Custom User Title

We live in a cove and my neighbors and I have mentioned having a cove party since there are about 8 kids and all under the age of 7. The older neighbors without kids or grown kids are all nice, too, so they would participate. 12 houses in all of our cove should make a nice get together. Guess we should do that before we move in June and have to make new neighbor friends.

I would just say "byob" and "what would you like to bring to throw on my grill", though. Asking some people for money could be awkward.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:10 AM
It's too quiet!

Cub, I really have to applaud your effort and your spirit. A block party sounds like a great idea! And it is! Neighbors, hanging out and having fun - what a concept!

Our old condo was a party zone. You couldn't walk around the building without getting invited in for wine & cheese or shits & giggles.

These days - forget about it! People are just weird about making new friends. Then, they go home and rant about how the world sucks and people suck. Just a little bit of effort goes a long way towards making the neighborhood a happier place. I just don't get it. :huh:

Hope your party works out!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
. IT's only right. Your "friends" should step up. Start asking them when they will get a kegerator and when they will host these little events. This stuff ain't cheap holmes.
Hey!! I just got my kegerator set up over the weekend and kegged an IPA for the first time tonight. Then I sit down and see I'm the cheapskate!!

Oh.... Holmes was a figure of speech....

sorry.... want a beer?:drinkers:
Old 04-02-2008, 02:26 AM
It's beer:30!

Jeffus - I think the same way you do. And I'll probably not do the money thing and all that. I'm leaning towards the "bring your own everything" approach. They sure as shit aint getting my homebrew!

Holmes - Let's see some pix of that kegerator! I just completely mine, and posted a picture in the "let's brew" section but didn't get any atta'boys over there...

Old 04-02-2008, 03:08 AM
LuckyDad

Sounds like fun... need a band? Will justify a cover :music3: :music1:
Old 04-04-2008, 02:41 AM
SAHD to RN

How did I miss this thread?

We have a block party on our street just about every year. This year my wife and I and another family agreed to organize the whole thing.

Usually it's BYOB, everyone brings a dish and some games/treasure hunts are organized to keep the kids occupied. The adults just bring camping chairs and lounge around the street and yak it up while all the kids keep an eye on each other, and the older kids watch the younger ones.

This year we decided to have it in front of our house, and we'll get a big bounce house and put it in the yard.

A few people bring grills, and everyone else can bring their food to cook on them. Then at dusk people break out the fire pits and then sit around the campfires well into the night.

No money is asked for, as you said, it can be a hairy situation. Someone just goes around stuffing fliers in the mailboxes letting people know the date, location (in front of whose house) and what should be brought.

I love it because we never had them growing up and love the idea of being friends with the neighborhood people. This is where we initially met alot of the people on the street, and have become fairly good friends with since.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Nice Cubfan. I didn't read it. Sorry. Looks slick. So you did it in a wall! Wow. Nice. Is the back side a closet or something? Where's the third tap? Come on.....that looks incomplete. I give you a C+.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Custom User Title

Cubbie, that is sweet!