Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2018, 03:19 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
If your knees hurt either your seat is too low or the bike is just generally too small.

I was surprised that the more modern frames in my old bike’s “size” felt much bigger - especially with the larger 29” tires.
Agree! Biking really shouldn't be all that hard on your knees. I have bad knees from playing catcher for 20 years and bike a lot. My knees give an audible grinding noise when climbing stairs. Don't have issues on the bike. Larger diameter wheels with narrower and smoother tires will get you going faster, and keep you going, with less effort than a 26" mountain bike with wide/knobby tires. Would also recommend not having a suspension fork. They're heavy and absorb much of the effort you put into the pedals as you climb hills. Don't know what you're riding.

Most bicycle shops offer a professional "bike fit" for a small fee.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 08-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
If your knees hurt either your seat is too low or the bike is just generally too small.

I was surprised that the more modern frames in my old bike’s “size” felt much bigger - especially with the larger 29” tires.
I doubt it's the seat as if it were adjusted any higher every time I stopped I'd have to completely dismount to touch the ground. It wouldn't surprise me if the bike was too small, but it's the bike I've got. I think it used to be my wife's old mountain bike when she lived in Arizona. I haven't owned a bike of my owning a really long time. Back in my teens, and early 20's I did a bunch of trail riding and just generally biked all over. Now I don't bike enough to justify any real expense on a bike.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post
I doubt it's the seat as if it were adjusted any higher every time I stopped I'd have to completely dismount to touch the ground. It wouldn't surprise me if the bike was too small, but it's the bike I've got. I think it used to be my wife's old mountain bike when she lived in Arizona. I haven't owned a bike of my owning a really long time. Back in my teens, and early 20's I did a bunch of trail riding and just generally biked all over. Now I don't bike enough to justify any real expense on a bike.
I hear you. My wife is using the same logic against me getting a new bike. I could probably sell my old one to make up a bit of the difference and free up some storage space but I’d likely only get $80 for it. The bike shop offered me $50 toward a trade.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
Agree! Biking really shouldn't be all that hard on your knees. I have bad knees from playing catcher for 20 years and bike a lot. My knees give an audible grinding noise when climbing stairs. Don't have issues on the bike. Larger diameter wheels with narrower and smoother tires will get you going faster, and keep you going, with less effort than a 26" mountain bike with wide/knobby tires. Would also recommend not having a suspension fork. They're heavy and absorb much of the effort you put into the pedals as you climb hills. Don't know what you're riding.

Most bicycle shops offer a professional "bike fit" for a small fee.
I hear you on the narrower tires and weight of the fork, but I don’t want to do roads and maybe even get off the walking trails and into true cross country. For that you need wider tires and suspension. Besides, forks are adjustable and can even be locked out entirely with presets. It’s amazing how the technology has advanced in the last 15 years.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:46 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

How does NASA have strong enough of a signal to take pictures of Jupiter (521 million miles away) Saturn, Neptune, and Pluto, when I can only get 1 bar in my own house- sometimes 2. How can I get some of that tech?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:39 AM
Trophy Husband

Looks like the snapper turtle births are a little late this year. I found 4 of them so far yesterday Usually they are found early to mid June. Off to the local creek to let them go.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
How does NASA have strong enough of a signal to take pictures of Jupiter (521 million miles away) Saturn, Neptune, and Pluto, when I can only get 1 bar in my own house- sometimes 2. How can I get some of that tech?
Government contracts paid out of a bottomless bucket of money
Old 09-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Default Batman

The one TRUE Batman would have been 90 yrs old today.
RIP Adam West. (Passed away last year)

Last edited by irie feeling; 09-19-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Alexa says it's International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

I'm going to need some rum to get into the mood, mateys.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

1 in 24,000%. But you claimed and received scholarship money based on that claim. Shame on you "Lia- watha."