Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default How close/supportive is your extended family?

I know that this topic might have come up in the past but I couldn't find a dedicated thread and thought that maybe the newer members might be curious or looking for encouragement by our testimonials. Many times when I'm out and striking up conversations with other parents I often hear that grandparents and aunts and uncles play a big part in their kids' lives. many times I'll see retired grandparents happily taking their grandkids to the park and I can't help but feel envious. My experience has been much the opposite. For the sake of brevity I won't rehash the last 8 years of rants and grumblings but I'm wondering how much help you get from your own siblings and parents?

Last edited by Kwak; 03-13-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Trophy Husband

Both the Wife's and my side of the families are very supportive of each other's families. No issues here aside form the occasional minor spat that usually goes away quickly. Both sets of grand parents are here to help whenever we ask which is not that often. This reminds me to start making calls to see who is coming here for Easter dinner.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

My inlaws suck
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Super Nice Dad

My inlaws (now just grandma) are awesome, wish they were my parents. My parents live far enough away that it's a perfect excuse to never come and visit. I'm lucky they come out this way once a year.

My brothers live too far away to be much help. My wife's family is close but never asked for much help from them. I pretty much flew solo.

HockeySave.com
Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 PM
"Not Willsdad"

My mom is here for the week. My sister came on Sat and left yesterday. My mom is great when she comes, but can't come often as she lives a long ways away. My MIL lives in Florida and is also great as is her moronic husband. Well, he is a really good guy actually, but can be a bit loud and obnoxious.

Given your situation I'm guessing that may play a part in things. That's alot to deal with, still, they should make the effort. At least to give you guys a break. Don't yours live in VA Beach though? That's a haul.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Beach Daddy

My Parents live 10-15 minutes away and are a huge help. My sister lives about an hour away and is married with 3 kids. See them as often as we can and they are great and help whenever needed. Took youngest with them and my parents to Nags Head last summer for a few days while wife and I were in hospital with oldest. Brother and SIL live 4 hours away or so and come visit whenever they can. I grew up really close with my 2 siblings and that has seemed to carry over.

In-laws are great people but never come visit except for major events. And then its a day trip. They live in Northern VA so its a 2 1/2-3 hour drive. They came down Sat. for birthday party and went home that night. Had been almost a year since they had come here. Don't mind so much but they always talk about how great it is to see the girls and all that but never make the effort to come here. Its always on us to go see them. Wife's sister and BIL are fun and see them when we can but they have a young one and that makes it tough.

All in all I can't complain, in-laws do a lot for the girls, mostly in the form of $$ (clothing, shoes, etc.) to make up for not visiting.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

My mom and oldest brother are 4 hours away. My youngest brother and his family are about three. The rest of my extended family are in California. My wife's closest family is about an hour and a half and the rest are half a world away. She does have a brother within 45 minutes or so, but I often forget he exists. Doesn't return any calls or messages. If my dad were still alive the dynamic would be very different.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Certified Shit remover

My wife's parents are about 35-45 mins away, see them prolly twice a month. Her sister and her family are 15-20 mins away, we see them once or twice a month. Wife's brother lives 2 1/2 hours away we see when it convenient for him. My mom still works full time and we see her prolly once every 6 weeks. Lisa has a second cousin who is only 20 mins away and we see her 4-5 times a month, she's a huge help with Alex & John. Pretty lucky regarding having family nearby to help when needed. My SIL & wife's cousin stayed here with the nanny when we were away last week which helped a bunch. I guess we are extremely lucky.....

Alex 11 Autistic-Seizure Disorder-Shawn 10 -Brendin 7-John- 6 Autistic/ADD

Last edited by Porschephile; 03-13-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Super Daddy

I am super close to my brother's kids, as are my parents.

I flew from Seattle to Detroit to see my 18 yr old play in the Michigan Amateur Hockey Association playoffs last weekend (they won tier 2 AA State Champs- The Flint Phantoms) Now they're invited to Hartford for Nationals April 3...

My dad has driven my brother's son to hockey many more times over the last 14 yrs than either my brother or his now exwife has.

While I have been away from Seattle/Bellingham, my semi retired father in law has come up to fill in for me at home for 10 days. He live in Seattle, 1.5 hr south of our home in Bellingham.

Incidently, my brother's 11 yr old daughter just won National Champion 11 yr old level 5 Gymnast with three Golds/2 Silvers at a Nationals meet in Ohio a few weeks ago. Couldn't have happenned to a better kid.

During my visit, I have been helpnig my 15 yr old niece get out and practice driving so she can get her license on her 16 birthday coming up next month. We've been out almost everyday.

The first day of my visit, dad suprised me with 4 tickets for me, my bro, and his 18 yr old boy, an 15 yr old daughter, to the Red Wings games. We had a blast.

Tomorrow we're all going GoKart racing, then Saturday I fly back to Washington state.

My parents are very involved, and out west my inlaws are very invloved with us and ours.

Last edited by Tomcat; 03-13-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM
SAHD to RN

My inlaws live 15 minutes away and we see them weekly. They'll come to the kids sports practices/games and school concerts and whatnot. They're our go-to sitters when we don't want to pay (we have 2 good sitters on our street that love our kids and they're good so we don't mind calling them for a couple hours here and there.

My SIL wanted nothing to do with our kids when they were infants/toddlers, but once they started to be 'fun' to hang out with (and easier to manage, I might add) she's been be good. Now that she has 1yr old of her own, she's appreciating what it's like to have little ones and appreciate the help at that point!

My BIL and SIL live about 5 hours away, and only see them a few times a year but it's usually for 3 or 4 days at a clip. Even though we don't see them often, we're really close with them and they're a lot of fun so the kids love getting together.

My mom died when I was 17 and my dad about 7 years ago, so well, we don't see them too often.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)