Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2019, 08:21 PM
Trophy Husband

Sad indeed. I really have a hard time plunking down $$ for tix these days. Watch it free online.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...bCj?li=BBnbfcL
Old 10-02-2019, 01:56 PM
Diaper Jockey

Well....the game last night lined up exactly the way Craig Counsell planned it. Get out to an early lead, 3-0 in the 2nd, effective 4 inning start from Woodruff, and turn it over to the bullpen. Suter got into a little trouble in the 5th but got out of it. Pomeranz had a strong 2 innings. Turn it over to Hader for the 8th and 9th - on to Los Angeles. Whoops!!! Hader was wild from the get go. The scouting report on Washington must be to pitch high in the zone, which the Brewers did effectively for 7 innings. Hader couldn't find the zone and missed high the whole inning. Tough break on the hit by pitch/foul ball call. Good pitch on Zimmerman that somehow found a hole. Soto came through with a game tying single and Grisham wanted to throw the ball before he had it and let the winning run score.

September 1, I thought they'd just be playing out the string but played one hell of a month of baseball. Hard to be too upset. Spring training starts in 4 and a half months!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 10-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Trophy Husband

Gbdad, 1st thing I did today was check the score of that game this morning after turning it off in the 7th due to having to get up for work today. UHG! No shame and great run for the Brew Crew. Counsel will be NL Coach of the year. Nats should be worried.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

The Pirates season ended in July but their rotation continues on to the post season - just playing for other teams. Garrett Cole has been shoving it ever since he basically petitioned to be traded. Charlie Morton (who was a hot mess here has sorted himself out and got Tampa Bay into the postseason. There are another 2-3 names I can’t recall who are playing for other teams and contributing, which tells me how dysfunctional the Pirates culture has been.

Meanwhile, they are finally draining the swamp. Manager Clint Hurdle was handed his walking papers last week so miserly owner Bob Nutting will be paying him $6M for each of the next 2 years to sit on his @$$. Hopefully the next guy has some sort of clue on how to reign in the clubhouse and rely less on analytics so that starters can pitch effectively beyond the 4th inning. Yesterday they fired the pitching coach Ray Searage too. It’s about damn time.

Now if only the GM would fall on his sword for his ineptitude. I’d also like to see county executives slap sanctions on team ownership who has squandered taxpayers money since 2000. They basically had the city come in and sieze land so that they could build two stadiums and hand them to privately held interests on a promise that they they would put a winning product on the field. The Pirates came close 3-6 years ago, but that only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades as my uncles always said. Now it’s so bad even native son Mark Cuban or Mario Lemieux (who basically kept the Penguins in town) have essentially rescinded offers to buy the current regime out. I’m banking on more Losing Baseball before they finally raze PNC Park. Fans are sick of it and attendance has already plummeted.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Diaper Jockey

Well, the Nats did it again, this time to the Dodgers and Rob Manfed's dream series will have to wait for another year. Go Rays! It's easy to second guess, but I've never been a fan of bringing starting pitchers into the game in relief in big games. You used to not see it a whole lot until the Giants did it with Madison Bumgarner in 2010. Now everyone thinks it's the way to go. Kershaw comes in, hangs a couple sliders to tie the game and they lose in 10 innings. Okay, you used your big gun and lost. But you won 106 games in the regular season and didn't use Kershaw in relief even once. Whatever formula you were using worked. So you used your stud starter, who is not quite as stud as he used to be, and while he had his problems your best bullet out of the 'pen, Kenley Jansen, went unused.

Just like in the Nats/Brewers wild card game. Hader coughed it up, and everyone cried, "Should have let Pomeranz have another inning!" Well, Counsell would have gotten crucified if he left Pomeranz in to give up the lead with Hader sitting in the 'pen.

It's always funny how organizations talk about "going with what got us here," especially if a reliever effs up, but when given the chance many go with something other than what got them there.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 10-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Diaper Jockey

The Nats did it! Now I'm rooting for the Astros. Not that I'm a Yankees hater. But think of the pitching matchups. Strassburg/Verlander. Scherzer/Cole. Corbin/Grienke. Wow!

Red Smith
Old 10-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Trophy Husband

So Yankee manager Aaron Boone finally had to manage a game instead of beating up on much weaker teams all summer and he shit the bed. Don't change a thing Yanks! Lets go Astros.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Diaper Jockey

Good game one of WS. Don't really care, but kind of rooting for the Nationals. My daughter is happy...stolen base in the very first inning. "Steal a Base, Steal a Taco!" Free tacos at Taco Bell!!!! Give her a break, she's 7. Taco Bell is a big deal. Nats have a good chance to go up 2-0 tonight, Strassburg vs Verlander. Don't think anyone saw that one coming.

In other news....the Cubs are expected to introduce David Ross as their new manager. I posted a couple of years ago how perplexed I was that he became such a celebrity on the heels of a less than mediocre MLB career. Yet Cubs fans will be geeking out over 42 year old "Grandpa Rossy" being hired as manager. For a guy with a .229 career average, and amassing a whopping 521 hits in a 15 career (that's 35 hits a year!), being hired as the manager of the Cubs is good work if you can get it. He may do an excellent job. Just amused at the pub this guy has gotten for playing 67 games for the 2016 Cubs.

Red Smith
Old 10-26-2019, 02:16 AM
Trophy Husband

So now the Astros have gone to allegedly stealing signs in the ALCS to having a fan plant in the stands yelling "SWING!" on every pitch to the National players at the plate in DC. That person would last 5 minutes in a NY stadium.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I thought you were happy the Yankees were out of it, Mark? Frankly Iím surprised anybody is watching anyhow.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007