Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Paracord Bracelets. Made in the USA!

Go Back   Dad Stays Home - Place for Stay at Home Dads to Share Daddyhood Experiences > Other Stuff > Weight Loss 2009
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

I went in and cancelled our gym membership yesterday. We just weren't using it.
Kwak, you should start slow and easy on changes instead of searching for some huge diet change.
Start by not eating out any more and cooking your own food. (Hamburger helper or "meals in a box/bag" ain't cookin' your own food, btw.)

When you get a handle on that, cut the sweets. Having read your other posts, that might be a toughie. Take that crazy cake recipe I posted a long time ago and make cupcakes then freeze them. Only take out one or two when you need a treat. Chocolate cupcake has way less sugar/serving than a cup of pudding, I guarantee it. Don't change the recipe though, you're f'ing with perfection there.

Good luck guys. I'm back down to ~200, would love to lose another 15-20, but what the hey.

eta: Huh, I went and re-read what you wrote. Pretty much I just said the same thing. Good luck!

Last edited by tt3; 02-26-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Cleaner upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
Start by not eating out any more and cooking your own food. (Hamburger helper or "meals in a box/bag" ain't cookin' your own food, btw.)
My wife would be shocked to know that

I am in terrible shape. I was in awesome shape when I started staying home. Walking, hiking, bike riding all the time for the first couple years. Then this past year it got to be more of sitting on my ass while she's playing at the playground, can't go for a walk with a 4yo at more than 3 feet per hour. So now I'm pushing 250, fattest of my life.

I'm turning that around now though. Focused even more on healthy eating, though it's hard to change somebody else's habits. Started back on the rowing machine and elliptical this past week. Ouch. I really want to be back down to 225 by the summer and work from there. Like mark mentioned, I think taking care of myself is going to get much easier once kindergarten kicks off in the Fall.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Huh?

Yes, a new record on the rowing machine, 18 minutes!
Then I ate a huge slice of BBQ chicken pizza.

Cleaning up after children is like shoveling the sidewalk while its snowing.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
I went in and cancelled our gym membership yesterday. We just weren't using it.
Kwak, you should start slow and easy on changes instead of searching for some huge diet change.

When you get a handle on that, cut the sweets. Having read your other posts, that might be a toughie. Take that crazy cake recipe I posted a long time ago and make cupcakes then freeze them. Only take out one or two when you need a treat. Chocolate cupcake has way less sugar/serving than a cup of pudding, I guarantee it. Don't change the recipe though, you're f'ing with perfection there.

Good luck guys. I'm back down to ~200, would love to lose another 15-20, but what the hey.

eta: Huh, I went and re-read what you wrote. Pretty much I just said the same thing. Good luck!
I appreciate that, Tony. I hear you on that. I find myself crunched for time because I go through cleaning fits (only to have the house blown up several hours later because everyone else is working to make a mess of the place) so it's "easier" to just pick up the phone and have it delivered or pack the kids in the car for a ride just to get them out of the house.

Anyway, this week I'm at odds with the sweets because both boys have birthdays and cake is expected. Getting them to drop "donut days" on Sundays was hard enough and they nearly staged a coup. I tried baking my own cake (from a GF boxed mix with GF icing mix) and it was met with lukewarm appreciation. Don't get me wrong, they ate it but if I brought one home from the bakery they'd have eaten it with much more gusto. I'm thinking of calling a gluten free bakery downtown to see what they have. It's expensive though - though not much more expensive than the "regular" bakery, which even I have problems digesting.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM
"Not Willsdad"

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/gluten-...e7=Home%20Page

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/gluten-...e7=Home%20Page

here are a couple cakes that get good reviews and are GF.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I just ordered a 6" double layer cake from a GF bakery down in the city. It'll cost about 1/3 more than a 7" cake from the local bakery but THAT place's cakes (while they do taste good) don't agree with me afterward - I get bad gas and irregularity. Though my wife won't admit it, I can tell that they also don't agree with Justin's gut either hence my push to go back on the diet.

Meanwhile, Tony does have a good point about cooking more at home. I used to cook a lot when I was following fad diets like the Atkins and South Beach diets and I need to get back into it. Last night I soaked some chicken tenders in pickle juice and served them up with BBQ sauce and some spare Chick Fil A sauce. That's pretty much what they do at Chick Fil A. Even though I have to work on my presentation (I had no veggies and the kids won't eat frozen Ore Ida waffle fries) Justin actually tore into them pretty good.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 PM
"Not Willsdad"

I'm like others. You get what you get and you don't have a fit. If you don't eat it I couldn't give a shit. You'll be hungry. Well, the almost always end up eating it. Yesterday it was salmon, long grain and wild rice mix, and a mixed veg. If you let them get away and feed them other things or give in they own you. Obviously you deal with things outside of most folks control, but thats how I roll for mine. If I make something that is like curried chicken or whatever then I'll do something more kid friendly, but otherwise they should eat what I make. If not, then too bad. You want a desert after dinner (not something we do every night, but don't tell them when) you had better eat it to my satisfaction.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Super Daddy

Last Christmas I was (5'11") 240 lbs. On tax day (April14 actually) I went on the Ideal Protein Ketogenic diet that my friend used to lse 60 lbs. Lost 55 lbs in 3 months, just like they said i would.

With a two year old and a new born, I knew I would not have time to work out, so I did the Ideal Protein Ketogenic diet and lost more weight while sleeping in bed at night than I did on the mountain bke during the day.

All summer I was reading EatingAcademy.com and gary Tuabes' "Why We Get Fat", which I probably would not have believed except for the fact that i had just lived the experience myself beforehand.

I recomend both.

At 185lbs, I had my best summer in over 10 years. I felt like a teenager on Ecstacy. My mountain bike friends were totally pissed becasuse they coud not keep up any more. I was riding the mountain for 3 and 4 hours at a time, feeling amazing

I was hovering around 187, but since I've been diagnosed with ALS, I'm on a protocol that includes a certain amount of Creatine and AAKG, and my god, I'm ballooning up like Mark McQuire. I'm taking a huge list of supplements and a AAKG/MCT Oil drink mix before any breakfast, then more supplements with the meal, then the same deal all over again at night. Burp.