Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 AM
getting younger every day

Send a message via Yahoo to chuck

well guy's I'm not sure what to say, I ussually have not to many problems with them, in-fact I'm trying chocolate bowls to put the strawberries in this year, made the bowls today I'll post some picks tomorrow, yes the tuxedos are a lot of very patient work I've made them many times, I worked as a cook for many years and learned to make this stuff many years ago, I've done weddings where you make 250 of those tuxes and boy it takes forever!
The secret is letting your chocolate cool enough to get really hard before attempting the second coat or trying to do design work.
Jeff I'm not sure why your chocolate wouldn't melt??? Strange, it's not a fast process thats for sure, and when microwaving defrost cycle or a melting cycle is best but once again it takes a while. I ussually get the battle area covered with wax paper,chocolate melted and strawberries prepped before letting the kids get involved that way they dint have to wait, waiting is truly hard for the kids.
Yes a mess will happen, hence in my post the cover area with wax paper! I use the crook pot because I make a lot of strawberries no less than five pounds every year and need about five bounds of chocolate so the crock pot works well for me. I just hope you guy's are not turned off from doing it again, it is easier as you do it a few times, and yes thats a good tip Jeff with the oil, I don't do it being I didn't learn that way but I have read it works well.
I'll post pics of mine tomorrow for you guys
Old 02-14-2007, 02:15 AM
It's beer:30!

I might try that suggestion of putting shortening to help melt the chocolate. I always have trouble melting chocolate! And I've tried everything; double boiler, microwave, etc.. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:35 AM
It's too quiet!

I bought Hersheys morsels. Regular chocolate, not the bittersweet morsels for chips. They look the same.

My only guess is that they don't add the oil during manufacturing so the nuggets won't turn into a gooey mess when you cook with them.

That shortening made them melt asap! I spent an hour and half trying everything to get those suckers to melt. After the shortening - poof!

I'd definitely try it again.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Career SAHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I just hope you guy's are not turned off from doing it again
Not even close! It was a blast, the kids loved it. I probably sounded stressed in that last post, not though, I was chuckling the whole way. We didn't really attempt the tuxes, just made me respect the skill and artistry of it, trying to smear some patterns on there. Just double dipping worked great. No melting problems here, did the double boiler and crock.

We're waiting till tomorrow, my wife was cracking up, because we tried so hard to clean any remnant before she got home, first thing she smelled coming in was chocolate. The boys did great not letting in on the secret, we were all laughing, as she guessed this and that, and they said "what chocolate?"

Lookin' forward to your photos chuck, you da man.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Hey even google is getting into this!:roll:
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Chocolate Bowls!

Well gave a try at making chocolate bowls to put my strawberries in today, eat the berries than the bowl!=P~
Pretty simple, blow up a balloon, dip it in chocolate, let it harden, pop balloon remove it, left with chocolate bowl! Well it sounds easy, the balloon will stick to the chocolate a little, not a big deal but if you only dip it once the chocolate is to thin and brakes pretty easy, so back to the drawing board, I tried dipping three time, gave me a nice think bowl, even dipped in white and dark, came out nice! Made a total of eight bowls worth.

Making the Bowl

The Results

Lots of toothpick art but mom should be a happy lady!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:24 PM
It's beer:30!

Chuck you are out of control man. I would hate to see what you and the wife do with all that chocolate when the kid isn't around.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
Chuck you are out of control man. I would hate to see what you and the wife do with all that chocolate when the kid isn't around.
LOL, ya I make lots of these, daughter gets some, some off to school for teacher, dropped some off for the secratery's at the school, no one ever gives them anything and we all know they run the school, MIL gets some, little girl down the street gets some:heart: and a few others so we really don't keep much here and my wife don't share her berries with nobody! LOL
Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Gonna make them this afternoon when the Boy gets home from preschool. Have to let the Wife in on the secret then, she's got another snow day today!
I'm going to use an electric fondue pot for the melt.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Always Irritated

we made em, the shortening tip does help quite a bit I think, we did the white without and the milk choc with, the tuxedo's turned out okay, but far from great, and the bowl idea is pretty cool, we tried it as well but were pressed for time so it's a small bowl, Jilly's strawberries the chocolate isn't set yet as she loaded em