Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Always Irritated

I think I'll take your guys advice and get some new shoes today, see if that helps, my old sneakers have holes in em so definitely overdue.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Go to an actual running store to get fitted so they can set you up with the right arch support, etc. I get mine from Running Room.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Super Nice Dad

I agree about the new shoes and going to a specialty store. I recently went to Fleet Feet, my wife had been going there to get special shoes for her foot issues. I had a good experience and they take their time finding the right shoe. We dropped $100 on Nike Pegasis II. I've kept the label so I can buy another pair online when I find a deal on them.

HockeySave.com
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Always Irritated

so I went, they recommended Nike Pegasus 3d, brooks something or other and some other one, I tried them all and a few others and ended up with the Pegasus. I'm not telling the wife how much I spent on running shoes, but the bonus is after spending that much it's more incentive to keep going. I wish they had a treadmill you could try them on though, hard to be sure when you just try them on but are not running.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Always Irritated

I'll add, for what these cost I'll not be wearing them for anything but running! I've not spent this much un shoes since I was in high school and bought Air Jordans, damn
Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Beer me!

Yes, they are running shoes and that is it. Expect about a year out of them and then have to buy another pair. Think of them as a tool, or a saw blade or something, they wear out with use.
If your wife pitches a fit let me tell you from experience the medical cost of repairing fucked up feet from bad shoes far surpasses the cost of a decent pair.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Always Irritated

well thank you gents, it was much better running this morning
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 AM
SAHD to RN

sorry I'm late to the party on the discussion on running shoes (crazy busy day yesterday). I also support the local Fleet Feet. Here they let you go for a run right then and there with them (hard to do with the kids, but they've come on a short jaunt with me through the parking lots)....but they also let you return them within a few days if you don't like the shoes after a run at home.

I absolutely recommend that you only use your running shoes for running...except maybe to break them in a little for two or three days. Like T said, they're an investment/tool so you only want to use them for their intended purpose. However, when I get a new pair my 'retired' ones become my gym shoes or my daily kick-around sneakers.

The mileage you get from shoes depend on frequency and the individual. A fat @ss like me may only get 300 or so miles out of them, whereas a beanpole may get 500+. A girl at fleet feet once showed me a good way to tell when replacements are needed (besides development of shin pain): look for creases on the rubber on the inner side of the shoe at the heel (not the inside of the shoe, but the inner part of the foot....like where Dorothy clicked her heels). Creases mean the rubber/support is beginning to breakdown and will not support as much and will lead to the shin pain. She also showed me how some manufacturers know this and design the rubber portion with fake creases to help hide that fact. I thought that was funny/interesting.

You know, with as much as I have researched and learned about this, you would think I'd be *good* at running, lol.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 02-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Always Irritated

I haven't been to the gym since my last post, I got sick and have been miserable, need to try and get there tomorrow but it's not looking good
Old 02-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Beer me!

You're in the danger zone, now. Out of the habit. Go back, even for a half hour, but go back.