Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > New to Site - Just Saying Hello
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Peacekeeper

Default SAHD in North Carolina

Hi! I am a stay at home dad due to our wonderful economy. 8/2008 changed my life forever! I was in a great position doing a wonderful job and ranked very highly in my company and out of the blue I was laid off. Well, the last couple of years haven't been the greatest. I have had a couple of positions over the last few years but nothing that was anything to gloat about! Well, last fall my wife was offered a good position and returned to work after spending 5 years as a SAHM that she loved and left me with our daughter. At first the two of us were having a blast, but I began to beat myself up more and more about not being a "man" and providing for my family as I had done in the past and planned to do the rest of my life. On top of that, I began to resent my wife for finding work so easily where I have sent out over 1k resumes and lost 33 total days of my life doing so. I guess that I was just looking for someone to talk to and share their stories as well. I continue to look for work and as soon as I find it she plans to quit her job and reverse roles once again!

Thanks for listening to me ramble!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Trophy Husband

Hi and welcome! Enjoy the site! We have a Sr. member here who resides in Raleigh (kinda ). I am sure he will chime in very soon.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Dad in Training

Welcome! In the meantime, really enjoy your time at home with your daughter - you will NEVER get this time back and it will have a great payoff for her in the future.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Certified Shit remover

Cherish the time you have with your daughter, maybe you'll find a position where you can be a work at home dad like myself, use this site to your advantage and don't beat yourself up over stupid crap.

Alex 11 Autistic-Seizure Disorder-Shawn 10 -Brendin 7-John- 6 Autistic/ADD
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Peacekeeper

I know, and I keep telling myself that but it really feels like the walls are closing in on me. I know it will be great for her to have gotten to know me in a way that most daughters don't know their dads, but I had a plan for us and it got f'ed up! I wanted to give them everything that they could have wanted so that they could have fun and now because of the finances we can't do anything and my wife is stuck working and no one is really happy. Guess that is why I found you guys!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Certified Shit remover

Well things happen time to cherish the time with your daughter and forget about the "plan". Things happen for a reason, not trying to sound harsh but realistic.

Alex 11 Autistic-Seizure Disorder-Shawn 10 -Brendin 7-John- 6 Autistic/ADD
Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Peacekeeper

That is what I have trying to tell myself!

"A paper clip can be a wonderous thing. More times than I can remember, one of these has gotten me out of a tight spot. With a little bit of imagination, anything is possible!"

MacGyver, 1985.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
SAHD to RN

Welcome Chris!

Yeah, life definitely throws you doozies. time to adjust the plans and roll with the punches. You already know that you're in for an experience that not a lot of fathers will get.

In the meantime, if you haven't already try to find a hobby to give you some 'me' time. That'll help you more than you know!

Welcome and enjoy!
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Welcome to the site!

I'll echo the guys here and say that your job blues will pass, you'll eventually get a job and look back on these times as an amazing experience and you'll count yourself among the lucky few.

Until then, stop by often to shoot the bull, ask for ideas and advice etc. These guys have probably seen it all.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Peacekeeper

CTDon, my mother in law actually suggested the same thing but the only problem is that the only hobbies that I have are dependent on $ or time. Both of which I don't have at the moment! Just has come to a peak here lately since she hasn't been in school this summer and I have had zero time alone with myself or my wife!

"A paper clip can be a wonderous thing. More times than I can remember, one of these has gotten me out of a tight spot. With a little bit of imagination, anything is possible!"

MacGyver, 1985.