Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post
Everyone likes a real challenge!

Is that anything like reach arounds? Cause that's a mental picture I did not need.

As for Bollux, I think that Pastor is going for "Employee of the month".

As for Stetch's comment I have no words besides YIKES!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished reading "Mom's Marijuana"by Dan Shapiro. It was a first hand account of his life experience of fighting and eventually defeating cancer. A rare 3 time loser who beat the odds big time.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Daddy! Daddy? Daddy!

Send a message via AIM to Math Daddy Send a message via Yahoo to Math Daddy

I'm finishing up Andre Norton's "Beast Master" series, upon which the 80s movie was loosely based. (Well, it kept the title and the idea of a human communicating with animals, especially a large cat, a bird, and some small critters. That's about it.) I'm also trying to finish up (whenever the library gets the last book in) Robert Doherty's "Area 51" series. It's been a fun little series to read. I recommend it to anybody who likes a lot of fiction mixed in with historical events. (Basically, an alien species colonized Earth thousands of years ago, and all of our major myths and legends come from their doings. Very cool series.)

I would read more non-fiction, but I find it far too boring. I just can't stomach it.

"People always say things like that. 'I designed this weapon to hurt even YOU.' And they always miss the point. The design focuses on the wrong goal. Yes, I can be hurt. It's actually not that difficult. So the hard part isn't hurting me. The hard part is surviving me." --Superman, "Superman #702"
Old 07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Daddy View Post
I would read more non-fiction, but I find it far too boring. I just can't stomach it.
I am quite the opposite. To each his own I guess.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I think fiction is good for the soul, in a way, as it's good for the mind to spend some time in another world, I think. That said, I've read more nonfiction of late, and some good books of that kind can do the same thing -- The Devil In The White City, Confederates In The Attic, to name a pair. I just finished Barack Obama's first book and it was a fascinating read.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Super Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Daddy View Post
(Basically, an alien species colonized Earth thousands of years ago, and all of our major myths and legends come from their doings. Very cool series.)
I wish I could remember the name of it, but this reminds me of a novel I read years ago. Takes place on another place that was colonized by earth. But when earthlings arrived, our tech was so much greater, we were treated like gods. So the earthlings begin to play being gods, taking on names from our myths. The fascinating part was how after playing these roles for a long time, the people started acting like the myths (the guy who called himself Zeus invented a lightning gun and started smoting people who didn't worship him, etc.). It was a pretty fun read.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Just glad to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviomossa View Post
I think fiction is good for the soul, in a way, as it's good for the mind to spend some time in another world, I think. That said, I've read more nonfiction of late, and some good books of that kind can do the same thing -- The Devil In The White City, Confederates In The Attic, to name a pair. I just finished Barack Obama's first book and it was a fascinating read.
I usually stick with fiction, but have been reading nf as of late. John Lane's "Circling Home" is about exploring the world within a 1 mile radius of your home. Very cool concept. A neighbor loaned me Ekhart Tolle's "The Power of Now". I've never read self-help, and didn't think I'd enjoy this, but it's more than self-help. It's a slow read (lots of stuff to consider over time), but his insights into the uselessness of dwelling on the past and/or waiting for the future have been eye-opening. It's all common-sense, cliche material, but he delivers it in a powerful way.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad View Post
I wish I could remember the name of it, but this reminds me of a novel I read years ago. Takes place on another place that was colonized by earth. But when earthlings arrived, our tech was so much greater, we were treated like gods. So the earthlings begin to play being gods, taking on names from our myths. The fascinating part was how after playing these roles for a long time, the people started acting like the myths (the guy who called himself Zeus invented a lightning gun and started smoting people who didn't worship him, etc.). It was a pretty fun read.
That sounds like my kind of read. I enjoy the occasional non-fiction, but give me some good fantasy/sci-fi any day.
I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time books from Robert Jordan right now, on book 10.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Always Irritated

anyone have a book or books that you read and read again and again? I'm like that with Emerson and have been reading a few of his essay's, they just are not a pick up and start at the beginning and read to the end type of book. I always pick up things I missed before, or maybe I just forgot, who knows, but I never get tired of it.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao95 View Post
anyone have a book or books that you read and read again and again?
I re-read Shelby Foote's trilogy "The Civil War" every 4 or 5 years. I can't quite explain why I keep going back but I enjoy it every time.