Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Trophy Husband

I was never a fan of sports that are decided totally by Judges. Politics seems to creep in all too often in the Olympics. If judges have to watch slow mo replays after the fact to see if "720's" were complete or that the skaters completed their "Twizzles" (God help us) correctly where does that leave the average spectator? Enough. My favorite newer X-Games, or as I like to call it "Excrement Games", type sport is the snowboard races when they have 4 or more boarders racing on the track at the same time. Way cool! Racers passing each other in the air!! Hockey should be great next week.

Last edited by Mark B.; 02-11-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Career SAHD

Yeah, that snowboard race is in the Olympics, isn't it? Much more fun for spectators. I think you just have to blank out some of the judging of stuff, as you say, politics involved. And OCD involved. But if you just watch them and appreciate the talent, it's pretty cool.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Super Duper Daddy

The young Russian skater was amazing in the team competition. She kicked it, I look forward to seeing her next week. The judges can be an issue, but it seems mostly legit in skating now. Other sports, I'm not as sure since I don't exactly know what they are judging. The "beauty" of the ski jump? Dunno, perhaps I'll learn.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Super Daddy

U.S. beats Slovakia 7-1 and Pavelski still manages a -1 rating.

Hossa to Tatar for the Slovak goal to tie the game at 1-1.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Super Daddy

At some point, someone needs to explain to me the rules of curling. I find it fascinating and get sucked in, but even after reading Wikipedia I still don't get some of the more intricate rules...

And for the Canadian brethren, here's looking to the gold medal game between the US and Canada... starting with the women...
Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Simple. Scoring per "end" (like an inning) is below. The strategy, however, is another matter.

2. The scoring

The scoring, though, really is simple: You want to come closer to a bulls-eye than your opponent when all the stones are thrown.

In curling terms: The team with the stone closest to the center of the button when the end is finished gets a point. If a team has two stones closer to the center of the button than its opponent, it gets two points, and so on.

It is impossible for both teams to score in an end, since points are awarded exclusively on the basis of which team did better in the end.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

The Onion delivers again

Quote:
SOCHI, RUSSIA—With a dominant 6-1 win over Sweden in Monday’s semifinal, Team USA advanced to the gold medal game of women’s ice—whoa, where the f*ck do you think you’re going?

Hold on a minute, you sexist prick. Come back and read this.

After surging ahead thanks to first-period goals from Amanda Kessel, Kacey Bellamy, and—what, did seeing the names Amanda and Kacey already make you want to navigate away from this page? Because sources saw your dismissive, misogynistic bullsh*t coming a mile away before posting this report about a women’s sporting event, even though it involves a team representing the United States of America at the goddamn Olympics.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-...view:2:Default
Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Super Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post

Old 02-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Dad in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Third View Post
At some point, someone needs to explain to me the rules of curling. I find it fascinating and get sucked in, but even after reading Wikipedia I still don't get some of the more intricate rules...

And for the Canadian brethren, here's looking to the gold medal game between the US and Canada... starting with the women...
That is one sport I never watch - not sure why, perhaps because I've been surrounded by it all my life?

Not sure what intricate rules you are looking for. There are 4 players per team:
Lead (or 1st)
2nd
3rd
Skip

The Skip tells the others where to place the rock. The lead is usually the weakest player (at least when I played it was - guess what position I played?) LOL!!!!

Each team takes turns throwing a rock - the teams alternate throwing a rock. Each player gets to throw 2 rocks per end. When it's the Skip's turn to throw, s/he gets one of the other players to hold the broom in the position for a guide.

When you throw the rock, you hold and guide it as long as you can, but you must let go before you reach the hogline (the line that goes across the ice). It amazes me how long some of these players can hold the rock - I never could glide that far. (Mind you I haven't played since I was a scrawny teenager, so now have some weight behind me and may be able to do it better, LOL!!!).

The Skip or rock thrower will yell to tell the other two players to sweep or not sweep, depending on what the end result is. It is amazing how with the smallest twist of the wrist, when you let go of the rock, that you can get it to turn - it takes very little. Too much and it hits the boards half way down the lane. The release of the rock is crucial as to what happens.

Silvio already explained the scoring so I don't need to bother.

I think you saw on Wikipedia there are different names for different moves - I've never paid attention to that and didn't realize they had names. LOL!!! Often if Team A has a good rock in place, they will block it, so Team B can't hit it out. But it is amazing that there will be a number of blocks and yet the skip (who is usually the strongest and best player) can wiggle in through the blocks and clear the other players' rocks.

There really isn't much to it, but it is much harder than it looks. It can be quite a social game as there is downtime that you can interact with team players and even those on the opposing team (to give them a rough time, in jest). I remember my parents playing at weekend bonspiels - I think it was more of a "party" all weekend long. LOL!!!!

Not sure if that helps or if you are looking for more intricate rules or not, not sure what others there are.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Super Nice Dad

The hockey commentators were talking about how Russia has fallen from grace in Olympic hockey. Not one of these dumb asses mention that ever since other countries were allowed to have NHLer's play for them, it leveled the playing field. Back in 1980 those were all minor leaguers or college players playing against the Russian pro team.

HockeySave.com